Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Viewstat color question

This may appear a newbie question.

I got a new colored viewstat and never used before. I just need the AxLink power source or I need an aux power supply.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Diogo wrote: »
    This may appear a newbie question.

I got a new colored viewstat and never used before. I just need the AxLink power source or I need an aux power supply.

This is a case where you do not use the Axlink Power. So leave the '+' unconnected.

The T-Stat gets it's power from the HVAC unit. I myself am still skeptical about this as I've had many an Aprilaire and AMX viewstat blown up by a jittery HVAC guy.

Having said that, I asked the AMX tech support folks and they assured me that it's now okay and that the new color T-Stats can take the beating.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    ericmedley wrote: »
    This is a case where you do not use the Axlink Power. So leave the '+' unconnected.

The T-Stat gets it's power from the HVAC unit. I myself am still skeptical about this as I've had many an Aprilaire and AMX viewstat blown up by a jittery HVAC guy.

Having said that, I asked the AMX tech support folks and they assured me that it's now okay and that the new color T-Stats can take the beating.

I take it a step further. I use a dedicated, backed up power supply of my own for all thermostats in a system.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I take it a step further. I use a dedicated, backed up power supply of my own for all thermostats in a system.

Thjs is actually what we do also. We put all our stuff on a UPS and power fileter. It's easy enough to run the24VAC to the T-Stats. Why take a chance?

It makes the HVAC guys eyes go googly. To bad for them...
  • Options
    vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    How well does that work when the customer has an hvac problem not related to the automation system? A truck roll every time? I've had several jobs with other mfgr's tstats where we had to show up because the hvac tech couldn't figure out why it didn't work...Like it not being wired properly at the unit. Yup, definitely our fault on that one. :)
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    vegastech wrote: »
    How well does that work when the customer has an hvac problem not related to the automation system? A truck roll every time? I've had several jobs with other mfgr's tstats where we had to show up because the hvac tech couldn't figure out why it didn't work...Like it not being wired properly at the unit. Yup, definitely our fault on that one. :)

I've had the same issue with the old Viewstats ... and they had perfectly standard wiring on the HVAC side. There isn't much you can do about trades who are unable/unwilling to try to work their way through something they haven't seen before.

But, back to the original question, I have had enough issues dealing with flaky power from HVAC units that I also prefer to power my thermostats with an independent supply.