Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

Uncomfortably Large Project Size

I'm doing a job right now that when compiled, the tko file is 1.9mb - the largest I've ever dealt with. I'm assuming it's because of the duet modules. Here are the ones I have in place with count as well:

* (1) AMX_iWeather_Comm_dr1_0_0
* (1) iWeatherUI
* (1) AMX_ENV-VST-C_Comm_dr1_0_0
* (2) AMX ENV-VST-C HVACComponent
* (2) AMX ENV-VST-C ModuleComponent
* (1) FireBall Module v5_0_1
* (3) DirecTV_HR21_Comm_dr1_0_0
* Plus 2 of mine own which track IP, and my weather module - those aren't large at all.

So I have 13 modules total, 11 of them are Duet modules. Here's my transfer info:
72057 of 72057 -- AMX_ENV-VST-C_Comm_dr1_0_0.jar  	
68036 of 68036 -- AMX_iWeather_Comm_dr1_0_0.jar  	
[color=red]1099197 of 1099197 -- devicesdkrt.jar[/color]  						
149615 of 149615 -- DirecTV_HR21_Comm_dr1_0_0.jar  	
722 of 722 -- xxxx, 2009-06-08, Rev 0.mf  		
[color=red]1201860 of 1201860 -- PROG.tkn[/color]  								
600463 of 600463 -- snapirouter.jar  						
126342 of 126342 -- xxxx, 2009-06-08, Rev 0.src  		

Highlighted in red are the ones I'm unsure about. Are they supposed to be that large? Is there anyway I can slim down the size of those? Remote transfers can take quite some time, especially on my DSL connection. This is all a little bit of a shocker because I try to stay away from Duet modules (because of how bloated they are), so I'm just curious: is this typical?

Also, this is my first time implementing the ViewStat modules, so I'm not even sure if I'm defining them correctly - but I think I am.

Any help or info on this would be great!

Comments

• ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Don't know about your specifics, but I have an AMXHome tko that is 4.34MB. Yauwza!
  • bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    My average project runs about 8-10MB.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Alright . . . but there's no way to trim some of that stuff though? Especially the devicesdkrt.jar?
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    devicesdkrt.jar is out of your control. It is needed by java modules and from what I have tried, there is no way to avoid sending it. You should be able to tell studio to not send the jar files every time tho, but I seem to have problems where studio is sending the same file twice and telling it to skip sending the file only eliminates one copy from being sent.

Jeff
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    If your Fireball is an SE series or better, you ought to upgrade that module if you can. The current is 6.0.2 or something thereabouts; you won't be able to access the newer features with that one. If it's an E or E2, never mind :).

Do you really need a Duet module for the HR21? The serial/IP protocol gives little advantage over IR, and that could save you some resources right there.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Adding Duet Modules almost always make my project's .tko file size go through the roof. I tend to run in the 1-2meg region with most my non-duet projects and 3-10meg with duet depending upon how many modules I use.

I have kind of a silly rule that I try to follow if possible and only use 4-5 duet modules at most and also try to use non-duet when the option is available.

I know they're supposed to 'actually' run faster than non-duet. At least that's what they said at my PIII - part deaux class last Auguest. I'm a bit skeptical myelf. All I know is that when I've got a bunch of the duet modules running, I can see the slowness creep up on the system's response time.

I have no evidence other than anecdotal at this time, however.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Duet? What? Why?
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Adding Duet Modules almost always make my project's .tko file size go through the roof.

Its loading an entire runtime environment so its no surprise the binaries are much larger. I don't really see it as a problem though. I have one job with 6 Duet (newer) modules running and haven't noticed any problems as of yet. I have found that some of the initial Duet modules available on the AMX website are sketchy, but the newer ones are fine. I guess it depends on who wrote it.
    Paul
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    What do I do if my project size is uncomfortably large for more than 4 hours?
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    mpullin wrote: »

Press eject.
  • mpullin wrote: »

Brag to all of your friends.

Danny
  • ImpaqtImpaqt Posts: 155
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    If your Fireball is an SE series or better, you ought to upgrade that module if you can. The current is 6.0.2 or something thereabouts; you won't be able to access the newer features with that one. If it's an E or E2, never mind :).

Do you really need a Duet module for the HR21? The serial/IP protocol gives little advantage over IR, and that could save you some resources right there.

The problem with the 6.x Module is that they totally revamped the interface. I find it more cumbersome to navigate than the ole' 5.x module. I have not noticed anything missing, but the last 2 times I used it was just for FP-1 ipod docks.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Impaqt wrote: »
    The problem with the 6.x Module is that they totally revamped the interface. I find it more cumbersome to navigate than the ole' 5.x module. I have not noticed anything missing, but the last 2 times I used it was just for FP-1 ipod docks.

It supports the jukebox feature and cover art display on your panel. If you can do without those, it's true v5 will work just fine.