Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Range Drag Increment

Does anyone know what this setting actually does? I know what it says in the help file, but trying different values doesn't really elucidate what this setting does.
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what this setting actually does? I know what it says in the help file, but trying different values doesn't really elucidate what this setting does.
    It does what the help file says it does when I tried it. What values do you have for range low and range high and what did you try for the range drag increment?

I set my bargraph to a low of 0 and a high to 255 and I see a huge difference when using a range drag increment of 10 vs. a range drag increment of 100.
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    It does what the help file says it does when I tried it. What values do you have for range low and range high and what did you try for the range drag increment?

1 to 49 is my range and I tried a few different settings like 1, 49, 100, 255 for the increment. I wasn't getting consistent results.
    I set my bargraph to a low of 0 and a high to 255 and I see a huge difference when using a range drag increment of 10 vs. a range drag increment of 100.

What was the difference?
    Paul
  • Options
    What was the difference?
    Drop the contents of the attached zip into Panel Preview, drag, and observe first hand.
  • Options
    Drop the contents of the attached zip into Panel Preview, drag, and observe first hand.

You are using a range of 255 there. What happens when the range drag increment is higher than the range? It allows you to do that but the behavior seems undefined.
    Paul
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Nice demo Joe!

a_riot42 wrote:
    What happens when the range drag increment is higher than the range? It allows you to do that but the behavior seems undefined.
    I made the range drag increment double the total range and I guess it seemed to move faster but I don't understand the point of giving the drag increment the abiltiy to move more than the total level range in a single drag. You can't go further than the max level. Maybe if you wanted the range time up/down to be faster than 1 you could start making the drag increment multiples of the total range but why?
  • Options
    You are using a range of 255 there. What happens when the range drag increment is higher than the range? It allows you to do that but the behavior seems undefined.
    I gave you the file, the best thing is to try it out for yourself and see.

I?m not sure why you?d want an inc greater than the amount of range (maybe to allow extremely course adjustments quickly?) but it appears to be perfectly legal and it acts as the help file indicates it should act. Everything seems to work as advertised for me, nothing undefined going on that I can see.

I set the inc value to twice the range and the level increased the full 100% after I dragged half way through the control just as I would expect it to.
    a_riot42 wrote:
    1 to 49 is my range and I tried a few different settings like 1, 49, 100, 255 for the increment. I wasn't getting consistent results.
    1 = going nowhere very very slowly ? extremely fine adjustment.
    49 = 1 to 1 dragging.
    100 = moving twice the distance at half price.
    255 = a warp factor speed course adjust.
  • Options
    vining wrote: »
    Nice demo Joe!
    A real work of art, eh?....
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    A real work of art, eh?....
    I wouldn't go that far but you took the time and made the effort to illustrate the point when you could have just sat it the background and let the question just go by.
  • Options
    Paul

This setting is for drag sliders only (often called "sloppy" sliders). With active sliders wherever you put your finger the slider will work its way to that position. On an active slider going from 0-100, if you place your finger on 75 the slider will slide over to 75. As you slide your finger up/down the level the slider will attempt to slide with you at the rate specified by range time up/down. Keep in mind that range time is over the entire length of the level, not just from current position to where your finger is.

With drag sliders the slider is not active thus it won't do anything if you just place your finger on the level. You have to slide your finger to get any change in the levels value. Let's take a level whose range is 0-100, and whose drag increment is set at 50. This means that if you start at one end of the level and slide your finger to the other end it will only move 50. So if the level is currently 0, and we start at the low end of the level and slide all the way to the other end the level will be at 50 when we are done. So it moves 1 value for every 2 you slide.

If we set the drag increment to 100 then it will move over the entire range of the level if you slide over the entire range. If we set it to 200 then when we slide over the whole length of the level the value will reach 100 (if it started at 0) when our finger gets halfway through the level. In this case it moves 2 values for every 1 you slide.

The drag increment is just a way of adjust the rate of change of the level and allows you to fine tune the level to fit your specific needs. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    rgelling wrote: »
    The drag increment is just a way of adjust the rate of change of the level and allows you to fine tune the level to fit your specific needs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation. I can't think of too many occasions when I would want the increment to
    be different than the range but I guess its good to have it there if needed.
    Paul