Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Can I re-flash a compact flash card?

I think I need to get the standard 64MB compact flash card replaced in my NXT-CV7. However, it may be several weeks before I am able to get it ordered. I have a CF reader - can I load the firmware onto the CF myself, or is there a specific upload/decompression process that I cannot do?

Comments

• Options
    ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    The only way you will be able to re-flash that card is to get an image from a working panel's CF card. I would give you one if I had one myself.. But Mayb you have access to another one of these you can copy the CF from or maybe someone else on here can get you a copy..

Ryan
  • Options
    DiogoDiogo Posts: 65
    I guess you can, but will not that easy, because there is some linux partitions that you will need make the copy also. I'm not a linux expert, so I can't help that much. But there is some threads in the forum that say how you could do this step by step, I've seen a time ago, can't remember the title.

It would be easier if you get a central controller corrupted, It just use one FAT32 Partition, if I not wrong.
    I not completely sure. Maybe if you dig the forum you can find the NXT-CV7 images, or someone give to you.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You don't have to deal with any formatting or system files if you use a binary image of a working CF. A program like WinHex makes it trivial; of course, if you have a Linux boot you can do with without any additional software. Search the forums for "compact flash" or "image" and you will see we have discussd this many times.
  • Options
    ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    Use that program if you are PC based.. If you have a mac or have linux, its very easy to do a simple terminal command that will turn it to an image and then another to take the image and put it back on a card..

Just remember though, If you are copying it from a 64 mb card, imaging it to a larger one will not increase the size of the usable space.. It will still remain the 64 mb card and the rest of the space on the card is basically nothing.

Ryan
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Yes, the image includes formatting information, so it the image is 64M, you wind up with a 64M card, regardless of the actual size. I don't usually consider this a problem; I tend to oversize my cards in the first place since they are so cheap anyway.