Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Pentair IntelliTouch Question.

Recently we did an install with the Pentair IntelliTouch Pool/Spa System.

We've had some issues with it however and I'd like to throw this out to anyone with more experience with it.

I installed the AMX module and everything was communicating fine. A week or so later, I got a call from the owner saying his pool was turning green and asking what we were doing to make that so. We explained that we were'nt 'doing' anything per se. The AMX system was mearly communicating to the Pool controller and reporting back its status. Also, the AMX system could sorta remotely 'hit' buttons for you. So, you didn't have to walk all the way downstairs to turn on the Spa or lights or whatever.

I went through the code and checked for anomolies and found nothing. I also added a tracking log that kept track of everything the AMX did with the pool controller.

Well, long story made short; The pool guy came and looked it over and said that since we connected the AMX system to the pool controller, the pool controller could no longer run the system and run scheduled items such as turning on/off pumps, cleaning systems, chemical additive systems, etc... He said we were now responsible for that.

After explaining to him that we were not experts in running a pool and (more importantly) not willing to take on that liability or responsibility, thus voiding any waranties or protection from failure, we were going to disconnect our control system from his pool system and let him do the job he was recieving payment for.

Since the client has already paid for the AMX pool control programming and whatnot he kinda wants it. We've explained the issue with him and he has now gone back to the pool company. The company seems to not have their story straight either. The owner claims that the information we have is bogus; that the pool controller can run on its own and report to the AMX system. Telling him that the so-called 'bogus' information comes from his own master pool tech seems to result in no reaction.

So, as result we've been playing this game of 'hook up the pool controller and the pool turns gree' to 'unhook it and the owner and pool company tell us we're crazy'

Now to the question: Has anyone dealt with one of these? Any idea of who's correct? It honestly doesn't matter to me which we do. My only beef is that I don't want to 'run' the pool. I just want to let the pool contorller do it and I'll happily report to the owner what it's doing.

If the controller does indeed shut itself off to allow a control system to talk to it, then shame on them. A better design would be to have some kind of toggle to let the operator decide which systesm should control the pool system, not some kind of passive-agressive 'well if you want me to talk to something else, then screw you! I aint doing crap!' type system.

Comments

• ClingpeachClingpeach Posts: 156
    As a home owner with a compool pool system (i think this is now called Pentair) this is not the case. AMX merely reports back to me what is going on with the pool controller and I have access to the Pool controller via 232 on various different panels throughout the house.
    The pool controller controls the activities of the pool
    Im not a technical person but i think the pool company is talking nonsense. I have never had one issue with my pool turning green or the cleaners not working etc because of AMX.
  • banobano Posts: 173
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Recently we did an install with the Pentair IntelliTouch Pool/Spa System.

We've had some issues with it however and I'd like to throw this out to anyone with more experience with it.

I installed the AMX module and everything was communicating fine. A week or so later, I got a call from the owner saying his pool was turning green and asking what we were doing to make that so. We explained that we were'nt 'doing' anything per se. The AMX system was mearly communicating to the Pool controller and reporting back its status. Also, the AMX system could sorta remotely 'hit' buttons for you. So, you didn't have to walk all the way downstairs to turn on the Spa or lights or whatever.

I went through the code and checked for anomolies and found nothing. I also added a tracking log that kept track of everything the AMX did with the pool controller.

Well, long story made short; The pool guy came and looked it over and said that since we connected the AMX system to the pool controller, the pool controller could no longer run the system and run scheduled items such as turning on/off pumps, cleaning systems, chemical additive systems, etc... He said we were now responsible for that.

After explaining to him that we were not experts in running a pool and (more importantly) not willing to take on that liability or responsibility, thus voiding any waranties or protection from failure, we were going to disconnect our control system from his pool system and let him do the job he was recieving payment for.

Since the client has already paid for the AMX pool control programming and whatnot he kinda wants it. We've explained the issue with him and he has now gone back to the pool company. The company seems to not have their story straight either. The owner claims that the information we have is bogus; that the pool controller can run on its own and report to the AMX system. Telling him that the so-called 'bogus' information comes from his own master pool tech seems to result in no reaction.

So, as result we've been playing this game of 'hook up the pool controller and the pool turns gree' to 'unhook it and the owner and pool company tell us we're crazy'

Now to the question: Has anyone dealt with one of these? Any idea of who's correct? It honestly doesn't matter to me which we do. My only beef is that I don't want to 'run' the pool. I just want to let the pool contorller do it and I'll happily report to the owner what it's doing.

If the controller does indeed shut itself off to allow a control system to talk to it, then shame on them. A better design would be to have some kind of toggle to let the operator decide which systesm should control the pool system, not some kind of passive-agressive 'well if you want me to talk to something else, then screw you! I aint doing crap!' type system.

I integrated with a Pentaire system about 2 years ago, and the only issue I remember is that I never received unsolicited feedback if the user controlled the system from the Pentaire controller or if there was a pool/spa temperature change, so I had to poll the system every 30 secs.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I recently finished programming a job in which we have three separate pentair controllers and a second job in which there are two controllers. Neither job has had any problems with allowing the controller to function as it should, unless the pool people are not telling me about it (and that is not likely). The only problem I had was running multiple instances of the duet module on one processor.

Jeff
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    Eric,

The pool company is full of crap, like most pool companies and looking to blame someone. If they have properly programmed the Intellitouch it will override anything the AMX system could possibly do, unless your programming turns something off after it is programmed to turn something on. If you programmed similar to what I did I am just emulating button presses. As I tell all of my clients the AMX system should be viewed as simply another Intellitouch keypad. The AMX connection should be connected through the overpriced Pentair iLink protocol interface adapter, http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/i-LinkUG.pdf, which connects to the Intellitouch personality board. Perhaps they screwed up a connection somewhere?

I have had no issues ever with Intellitouch.

A pool turns green when there is not enough sanitizer in it not because of a control system.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Thanks all!

I kinda thought that would be the case. It just makes no sense to design something the way they were describing. I know I'd want to maintain control of my gear if I were to allow access by a 3rd party controller. I'd simply make it possible for the 3rd party to do the same things you could do with the main controller.

I'll report my findings to my superior with a good report on you all too.

Thanx!
    e
  • Unless of course....something in your code is overriding the Pentair on each of it's attempts to change pump status... (which wouldn't make much sense to do)

It's gotta be the pool guy!!