Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

iPod Review Please

Greetings,

I am starting the design of a system that is to have two docks, both able to accept iPod Touches and iPod Shuffles.

Are the Sonance models the recommended docks?

What module version (Netlinx preferred) should I begin with?

How well does the suggested module work with R4?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    the AMX module written by Jon in Tech Support gets my thumbs up! I've used it many times and it has proven to be very reliable and stable. High on my list of it's goodness is the fact that it doesn't freak out when nothing is plugged into the port. I don't know the version but I do know that it's the Netlinx version.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I can also praise the NetLinx version of the AMX iPort module. It is great. The only problem with the iPort docks is their inability to charge the newer iPod touch and iPhone units. There is supposed to be a new dock that does support charging them, but I have not tried that dock out with AMX integration yet. The older docks do still work with the iPhone/Touch, they just don't charge.

Jeff
  • Options
    Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Alternative to iPort

If your looking for a desktop unit then have a look at the new Marantz IS301 unit, very user friendly design as you can link from the ipod and dongle back to the dock to use the ipod around the house. works with new iPhone / iPod Touch in charging.

The protocol is very easy, not sure if there is an AMX module as I just used it direct.

The new iPort FS22 is a nice dock, but I've not had to control it yet. The IW model should be avaible soon (if not already)
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Sonance now has an FS-xx series of tabletop docks. Anyone tried them? Any reason to beleive that they would not integrate the same as the in-walls?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Yamaha makes an iPod dock that attaches to their receivers, but I don't recommend them from an integration standpoint. The AMX module doesn't work well with it, the protocol is tricky if you write your own, and the dock itself only outputs to the main zone on a multi-zone receiver. If anyone is planning to use the Yamaha dock, you may want to look at and compare the other options listed in this thread.

--John
  • Options
    banobano Posts: 173
    Sonance now has an FS-xx series of tabletop docks. Anyone tried them? Any reason to beleive that they would not integrate the same as the in-walls?

Thanks again!

Yes used the amx module with the FS-22, worked perfect!
  • Options
    shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    and the dock itself only outputs to the main zone on a multi-zone receiver. If anyone is planning to use the Yamaha dock, you may want to look at and compare the other options listed in this thread.

--John

We've used the Yamaha dock with zone 2 & 3 several times. Never an issue. I haven't tested it with the new xx5 series, but those are horrible on a wholenew level.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    We recently replaced several of the FS-4's with the new FS-22's on a large project.

the old one's were buggy, and the new ones are AWESOME. same netlinx module, just better hardware.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    If your looking for a desktop unit then have a look at the new Marantz IS301 unit, very user friendly design as you can link from the ipod and dongle back to the dock to use the ipod around the house. works with new iPhone / iPod Touch in charging.

The protocol is very easy, not sure if there is an AMX module as I just used it direct.

The new iPort FS22 is a nice dock, but I've not had to control it yet. The IW model should be avaible soon (if not already)
    Jim, we've been looking for an alternative to the iPort because of it's lack of video user interface. So, we tried the URC PSX-2, however - no feedback via RS-232. So, now - we're trying out the Escient FP-1, an apparently decent mix of both video & panel control - however, I hate Escient.

Have you used the FP-1 and if so, how would you compare the onscreen of the Escient to the Marrantz? And can you do database browsing with the Marrantz? Thanks for the info in advance!
  • Options
    Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Hi

The Marantz gui is terrible (or was on the IS201) very basic blocky text, I have been playing with the FP1 and it is much better gui, but the unit is not an attractive piece.

I hate to admit it but I didn't check the new IS301 gui as I had to get it out & working for audio, but I will do soon - I suspect it is similar to the old IS201 tho...

Why doesn't a manufacturer understand that an attractive gui and an attractive dock would be a winning combo??
  • Options
    Just had another look at the Marantz for another job, why do they do this!!

It has basically the same protocol, but the db searching is disabled, the old basic gui is cut as well and the feedback is basic!!

It's a great product for a wireless dock, but the control side is a let down...
  • Options
    shr00m-dew wrote: »
    We've used the Yamaha dock with zone 2 & 3 several times. Never an issue. I haven't tested it with the new xx5 series, but those are horrible on a wholenew level.

Kevin D.

Thanks Kevin, I stand corrected. I went by what my guys said and looks like they may have been mistaken.

--John
  • Options
    As it happens I've got to find a good option for a job at the end of the year... a couple of units I've found and am awaiting evaluation units are:

Denon ASD-51N - Network control and on-screen GUI
    URC PSX2 - IR Control and on-screen GUI - states there is 2way Metadata to a MX6000, whether this is available to any other device needs to be seen. Presumably this is over IP as well...

Anyone had any experience of these 2? The Denon is very new.
  • Options
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    As it happens I've got to find a good option for a job at the end of the year... a couple of units I've found and am awaiting evaluation units are:

Denon ASD-51N - Network control and on-screen GUI
    URC PSX2 - IR Control and on-screen GUI - states there is 2way Metadata to a MX6000, whether this is available to any other device needs to be seen. Presumably this is over IP as well...

Anyone had any experience of these 2? The Denon is very new.

The URC piece is very nice, as far as GUI and IR control goes (there's something like over 150 commands via IR.) I wish I would have known that it did two-way metadata - I would have sniffed it out it via Wireshark. I've seen posts on another forum where guys were interested in the IP protocol, but no one has yet to figure it out (or get it.)

Haven't played any of the Denon ones yet. Is the ASD-51N actually controllable via IP? I don't see anywhere that this is possible - but I might be missing something.
  • Options
    The Denon GUI is not good. I have not personally done a 51, but I have done the 11s and 3ns. The GUI is the basic denon gui - poor composite quality / monochrome, at best. Have you looked at the DLO ipod dock pro? Color GUI (although not HD). The pro version is controlled rs232, and is a pretty simple protocol.
  • Options
    vegastech wrote: »
    The Denon GUI is not good. I have not personally done a 51, but I have done the 11s and 3ns. The GUI is the basic denon gui - poor composite quality / monochrome, at best. Have you looked at the DLO ipod dock pro? Color GUI (although not HD). The pro version is controlled rs232, and is a pretty simple protocol.

Has the Pro HD been release yet? I think that's what we were waiting for.
  • Options
    vegastech wrote: »

The 51 interface is a massive jump from the old Denon docks - full colour with cover-art. The IP control is the sticking point - Denon TS say it is not controllable, but the documentation clearly states it is... I'll update when I hear more.
  • Options
    The IP Protocol for the Denon is now available. It is basic, but would allow for navigation of the on-screen gui, or very basic remote operation, but that's about it!

Protocol is attached.
  • Options
    rcainrcain Posts: 11
    I typically use the FP-1 which is decent. The biggest issue I've experienced with them is occasionally have docking issues with older iPods.