Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

NetLinx Studio on an Intel Mac?

2»

Comments

• bobbob Posts: 296
    I also use an intel Macbook Pro 17" with parallels and all AMX software is running just fine. Not necessary to reboot into Bootcamp (old stuff), also USB-to-serial is working perfect with Parallels. Highly recommended.
  • jdevitojdevito Posts: 4
    I have been using Virtual Box, a free VM application with support for many different operating systems, with no issues at all. I find that Virtual Box runs better than most Windows machines.
  • Mac Book Netlinx

I have a 13" Mac book Intel. I bootcamp but dont run parallels. I use the keyspan converter, the best compatibility of the lot of them. I upgraded my macbook with 4 gb ram. It runs windows better than any other pc laptop imho...
  • DeetDeet Posts: 2
    All the AMX software works fine on any of the intel macs under parallels. You just need to add som ram. We found 2gig works well.

If you want to add a serial port, we use a device called a DIGI One SP. Its an ethernet to RS-232 dongle.

So it connects via LAN to the MAC and gives you an RS-232 port. We have also used them to add remote serial ports to NetLinks Masters
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    I've got Parallels 4 now. When using a shared network connection, I think the UDP broadcast is not passed through from OSX to WinXP. I.e. NLS does not seem to detect AMX masters via the "Listen" option. No biggie though.

My main problem is Parallels related. When making a VM using my BootCamp partition, I can launch WinXP once, but subsequent launches fail. Making a new VM (or booting into BootCamp) works, but I guess it defeats the purpose a bit. I'll have to go hunting on the Parallels forums...

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I am using parallels 4 with no problem .... normally. Occasionally, if I don't shutdown properly, I need to run the windows disk to fix a problem with the windows system files. As long as I shutdown properly tho, I have not had issues.

Jeff
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I am using parallels 4 with no problem .... normally. Occasionally, if I don't shutdown properly, I need to run the windows disk to fix a problem with the windows system files. As long as I shutdown properly tho, I have not had issues.

Jeff

I'm using VMFusion on a couple Macs and it works very well. The VM is running XP Pro.

I can have the PC and the Mac running at the same time. Hardly notice any performance issues.

coincidentally, I also have a Linux VM on it as well. (Is that redundant??)
  • CAPACAPA Posts: 8
    Netlinx cannot find my includes

Parallels 6.0.11994
    Macbook pro 15' intel core 2 duo 2.93
    Windows XP
    Mac OS X Leopard

I'm receiving this message when I try to compile:

Starting NetLinx Compile - Version[2.5.2.20] [09-02-2011 22:25:43]
    \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs
    WARNING: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(1)The pre-processor is unable to find the directory \Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\ in the Library path. Ignoring directory and continuing...
    WARNING: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(1)The pre-processor is unable to find the directory \Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\ in the given path. Ignoring directory and continuing...
    WARNING: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(1)The pre-processor is unable to find the directory \Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\ in the given path. Ignoring directory and continuing...
    ERROR: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(62)NetLinx Pre-Processor Error: Could not find the include file S86.axi
    ERROR: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(63)NetLinx Pre-Processor Error: Could not find the include file SR5004.axi
    ERROR: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(64)NetLinx Pre-Processor Error: Could not find the include file Compact.axi
    \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs - 3 error(s), 9 warning(s)
    NetLinx Compile Complete [09-02-2011 22:25:45]

Someone know how can I fix that?
    Ty
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Use a PC? :D
    netlinx with parallels 6
    jjames wrote: »
    Use a PC? :D

Thank you for your reply ...
    I'm using a mac pro(intel core 2 duo 2.93Ghz) and all my includes are assign. The strange thing is my tests with parallels works fine, transfer (8400, nxv, r-4), ir edit, etc but netlinx compiler...

DEFINE_START

#INCLUDE 'S86.axi'
    #INCLUDE 'SR5004.axi'
    #INCLUDE 'Compact.axi'

I used to work with the same codes in mac boot camp and work perfectly. So is not the code.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I also boot up in XP and it works fine. Don't know if I ever tried it in Parallels and the version I have is early and flaky so I never use it at all. Not even sure I could if I wanted anymore.

I prefer the PC side so I have my MAC set to always boot up in XP and rarely go to the dark side.
  • I had a similar issue when I first set up Studio in VMWare. Changing the mapping path from /My Documents to /Shared Documents fixed it. Don't know if Parallels works the same way.
    CAPA wrote: »
    Parallels 6.0.11994
    Macbook pro 15' intel core 2 duo 2.93
    Windows XP
    Mac OS X Leopard

I'm receiving this message when I try to compile:

Starting NetLinx Compile - Version[2.5.2.20] [09-02-2011 22:25:43]
    \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs
    WARNING: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(1)The pre-processor is unable to find the directory \Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\ in the Library path. Ignoring directory and continuing...
    ERROR: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(62)NetLinx Pre-Processor Error: Could not find the include file S86.axi
    ERROR: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(63)NetLinx Pre-Processor Error: Could not find the include file SR5004.axi
    ERROR: \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs(64)NetLinx Pre-Processor Error: Could not find the include file Compact.axi
    \\psf\Home\Desktop\AMX\Alexandre Tellian\A Telian\Alexandre Tellian - Home Theater.axs - 3 error(s), 9 warning(s)
    NetLinx Compile Complete [09-02-2011 22:25:45]

Someone know how can I fix that?
    Ty
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    I'm running the same version of Parallels without any issues. Have you tried shutting Parallels down and restarting? Are the files at that location or did they get moved? Re-install Studio?
    glr-fti wrote: »
    I'm running the same version of Parallels without any issues. Have you tried shutting Parallels down and restarting? Are the files at that location or did they get moved? Re-install Studio?
    Yes, I did and nothing.
  • Just looking at things, I'd start by removing any spaces from file paths so the actual path is a constant string, if they aren't escaped correctly by NS or the VM client you can find that even if the files appear there NS won't be able to find them.

Next, I'd look at the permissions of the include files, it's likely that the VM client isn't working wth the same user rights as where the files are located - this explains why a comment about moving the files to the shared folder can fix the issue.
    pdabrowski wrote: »
    Just looking at things, I'd start by removing any spaces from file paths so the actual path is a constant string, if they aren't escaped correctly by NS or the VM client you can find that even if the files appear there NS won't be able to find them.

Next, I'd look at the permissions of the include files, it's likely that the VM client isn't working wth the same user rights as where the files are located - this explains why a comment about moving the files to the shared folder can fix the issue.

WORKING ! THANK YOU !!!
  • AMX on MacBook Pro

I've been using a Mac Book Pro as my main computer for the last couple years, running Windows XP in Boot Camp, and it's been the best most stable PC I've ever had, even surviving a 3ft fall onto pavement! No problems running any of the AMX stuff or myriad of other AV programs.

IHad problems in years past w/ USB-serial adaptors, so I've been using Quatech serial cards (Express34 the last couple years, PCMCIA before that), and have not had any compatability issues. Problem is, the new Macbook Pro's w the Retina display & SSD don't have an express card slot anymore, so guess it's back to USB-serial adaptors, appreciate any suggestions...
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    I've been happy with my MacBook Pro for the last 4 years as well. I set up XP on a BootCamp partition, but just about always use it in Parallels. I don't think I'd bother with a BootCamp partition in the future. I might try something like VirtualBox next time rather than Parallels.

As for serial ports, I've had a lot of success with the Keyspan USA-19HS http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=849&txtModelID=3914 A few people use Bluetooth-to-RS232 adaptors which would allow you to plug your RS232 port into more awkward locations with less cable hassles. Have a search on the forum for Bluetooth.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University