Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

CA10

Hello!

Newb here!

I just inherited a pair of CA10 panels and am looking for some ideas on what I can use them for... I know I need a controller, but other than that, have no idea... I would like to see about implementing them into my home system, but don't really know where to start.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Home audio system, lighting control, HVAC, theater ... anything controllable with IR, relays, RS-232, or IP. It really depends how far you want to go with your home, and what kind of equipment is installed or you are willing to spring for. Another thing, that doesn't require equipment other than the controller would be web apps for the panel itself, like weather, stocks, or even e-mail (all of which I've seen modules for at one time or another on the AMX site ... not sure about there being a current e-mail panel app around, but someone is bound to have it).
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Door stops?

Just kidding. As DHawthorne mentioned you can use an AMX system to control anything that is controllable via IR (anything that uses a 'normal' remote), RS-232/485 or IP. Once you get a controller both it and your touch panels will need to be programmed. This isn't really a task thats intended to be done by most users, the programming of the master involves getting down and dirty with computer code rather than using a drag and drop esk interface. Depending on how involved you want to get and how geeky you feel you can do this yourself or alternatively you may want to get in contact with a company in your area that specializes in this sort of thing.

If you decide to take the DIY route AMX offer training courses for learning how to program their equipment, you'll also find this forum to be an great resource.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Door stops?.

I have to say, my personal AMX system here at my home uses all G3 panels. I NEVER need to reboot it or otherwise have any trouble with it. Two of the panels are actually wireless.

It's old technology, but it's very trustworthy. Oh, if only that were the case today...
  • I had issues about four years ago with CA10s, I had occasion to go and change the panel file, which I had in archive. I tried downloading the modified file (using TP3) but there were some kind of firmware conflicts (when updating over serial direct connection). I then called AMX UK and they advised to update the firmware available from their website. I DL'd that (eventually - this was 2005!) and had to use some old program using a CLI to update the firmware. The inevitable happened, and it sh*t out mid transfer, which completely killed the panel. I then had to send it back to AMX which cost around 80GBP/160US/150AU to change the chip, plus shipping, downtime, arranging loaners etc.

One thing I discovered later was there seemed to be no problem with other Cx-10's that I updated after that - but using AXLINK to update, via the master.

But, the panels themselves are pretty awesome, the CV and CG range are really fantastic and give you video and graphics, you can create cool interactive panels, and they are dirt cheap too.

As far as controllers go you could buy an AXCENT3 off ebay but I would advise holding out and trying to get a Netlinx processor rather than AXCENT, as the language is much more powerful.
  • iTunes

I was not sure if there was some way I could use it as a front end to my iTunes server or not... is that something "doable"?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Do these panels have special power requirements? Or would a generic ps work with the right plugs?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    JALinker wrote: »
    I was not sure if there was some way I could use it as a front end to my iTunes server or not... is that something "doable"?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Do these panels have special power requirements? Or would a generic ps work with the right plugs?

I suppose it could do iTunes/iPod if you're only interested in text and not images. The G3 panels cannot do web based stuff, so dymanic images are out.

the power requirements are published on the website. You'll have to search for it as it is a discontinued item. I think, off the top of my head, it needs at least a couple amps at 12VDC. My system at home has two big 6.5 amp power supplies for everything. so, I didn't note the overall power requirements of the touch panels. I do think it's something around 2 amps or so.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    JALinker wrote: »

Most definately, however it's not an easy task. iTunes uses the Digital Audio Control Protocol to impliment communication between iTunes and remote devices (ie iPhone). The protocol itself has not been openly released to the world, however it has been reverse engineered. You can get all the specifics here. As I said it won't be an easy task to impliment if your new to AMX programming. The nice thing about this is that you won't need any additional software running on your server to get this up and going, its speaking natively to iTunes.

Another approach you could take is to purchase the modules writen by Autonomic Controls. It will require you to run additional software on your server and will still require a fair amount of AMX coding to get it up and running with your panels.

Finally, if the server you are running is a mac you could control iTunes via applescript (there's various scripts floating around the net for this) then communicate with applescript via IP from your AMX system.