Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Sharp 65" LCD model LC65d64u

Has anyone encounter controlling Sharp LCD model above. I can control power off, source selection and volume up/down but I can't control Power on.

Comments

• Options
    edgelitoc wrote: »
    Has anyone encounter controlling Sharp LCD model above. I can control power off, source selection and volume up/down but I can't control Power on.

There a lot of stuff posted on this. Search for RSPW. That is the command that you need to send before turning the Sharp off to keep the 232 port active. The other threads share more about.
  • Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    I believe it has to do with power saving - if power saving feature is ON, it powers down SO far that there is not even power to the RS-232 port.
  • Options
    i got it working, thanks for the help.
    i just need to send the RSPW1000$0D when the TV is on, I can now control POWER ON Command.
  • Options
    Be carefull a few of the sharp need it to be
    send_string dvtv,"'RSPW0001',13"
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I hooked up a LC-22LS51OUT today and I'm also having similar weird results.

If I send 'RSPW1 ',13 (3 spaces although 0's do seem to work too) I'll get my "OK" send power off and again I'll get "OK" but send power on I'll get "ERR" and if I send the command to respond to power on from deep sleep again I'll get the "ERR" and it won't work again until I turn it on manually or with the hand held remote.

When it is working, and that's after the manual power on it will not respond to any queries with anything other than "ERR" and I think if you keep trying it gets pissed off and simply stops talking all together.

My wire run is too long but I doubt that has anything to do with this problem. The specs are vague about queries but how can you make a product with an RS232 jack that doesn't respond to queries when their other products do. There has to be a level of common sense that these engineers use when designing their products and it doesn't make sense to provide it if they don't make it worth using.

Anybody familar with this model or any similar issues in any other newr models.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Our government at work... "Green" certification is so tight, the current required to keep their RS232 alive enough to respond was too high to pass. Rather than redesign (after all, the IR has to be alive, right?) they shut down the port. Sharp support actually suggests using IR to turn it on, then RS232 to control. Yikes.

Beware even when you get it working with the override command... a power loss will make it forget to "keep listening" and will always require a manual turn on again. We send the STAY AWAKE command as part of every OFF command to at least reset the feature after a manual start.

Same thing with Pioneer Elite receivers. But they have no work around code... so we keep zone 3 turned on 24/7 to allow the unit to hear us. Using FAR more electricity than the RS232 would if just it were awake.

Duh.

About as smart as requiring BRAILLE lettering on public facilities to be large enough to be read at 20 feet.
  • Options
    So you send RSPW1 prior to every POWR0. Easy enough to do but that's basically what I did through "control device". I manually sent the "respond in deep sleep command" then power off (standby) but it doesn't respond after that to power on or anything else for that matter. The ironic thing is it's awake enough to respond with an ERR but not turn on?

So if I'm reading what you're saying correctly the RSPW1 command doesn't work because it didn't meet the requirements to satisfy those people who think global warming is a man made occurance and not primarily the earth going through a normal cyclical event. Don't they realize when you reach the apex between historically occurring ice ages you're supposed be warmer? Has anyone been able to quantify the amount man has contributed to global warming using factual numbers and not projection models based on only 50 years of recorded data? How many billions of years has this been going on? How many times has there been 1 massive continent prior to to the last (Pangaea), 8? Crap, got me started again now I'll be pissed about liberal green people all day! :)

Couldn't they rob from IR to pay RS232?
  • Options
    I'm not saying why the un-green command isn't working for you... we use the triple 0 and return but haven't experience with the specific model you are using.

I'm only saying someone set a green certification limit for current use in standby, and Sharp (and others) made choices to get the certification that cause us issues. I certainly wish they had made other choices.

No stranger or sadder than HDCP and HDMI and Component video...
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    I'm not saying why the un-green command isn't working for you... we use the triple 0 and return but haven't experience with the specific model you are using.

I'm only saying someone set a green certification limit for current use in standby, and Sharp (and others) made choices to get the certification that cause us issues. I certainly wish they had made other choices.

No stranger or sadder than HDCP and HDMI and Component video...

Gotcha! My specs say use spaces but I find zeroes work as well.

Pretty soon besides green we'll have to contend with the health care requirements for consumer electronics. No IR remote either so we have to get off our fat a$$es to do anything. Maybe since they plan on requiring a body mass index number for everyone we can get stamped or get card that allow fit folks to have IR remotes while the unfit have to do it the old fashioned way.
  • Options

Ya know we should also think about implimenting one child per houshold since every being emits carbon. Call it a carbon tax for the faimly so if you choose to have more than one child you pay a penalty via higher taxes.

Supposedly if all the people on the planet stop consuming and using fuels,etc. and basically lived in caves but with out a camp fire, in 30 some odd years we could drop the planets temp by almost a degree. I only question how they would really know that that was due to living like cave men and not the planet just doing its thing.

Ok, I think I've drifted to far into the absurd.
  • Options
    So, Gay marriage is green?
  • Options
    So, Gay marriage is green?

As long as they don't adopt more than one child! Actually they should be able to adopt as many as they like since they're not the ones that brought the little carbon emitters and future polluters into the world. That tax should be placed on the women who gave birth.
  • Options
    To get back on topic does anyone have any luck using RSPW1 (allow power on from deep sleep) on a Sharp LC-22LS51OUT TV or using queries when the TV is on? Should I just use IR?
  • Options
    vining wrote: »
    To get back on topic does anyone have any luck using RSPW1 (allow power on from deep sleep) on a Sharp LC-22LS51OUT TV or using queries when the TV is on? Should I just use IR?

From my experience... you should use IR. My client's housekeeping frequently turns the TV off with the hand remote, or the residence has a power fault which renders all the RSPW1 useless... In many circumstances, even if they deny one of the above has happened, somehow the RSPW1 gets "forgotten" and fails to keep the engine warm...
  • Options
    From my experience... you should use IR. My client's housekeeping frequently turns the TV off with the hand remote, or the residence has a power fault which renders all the RSPW1 useless... In many circumstances, even if they deny one of the above has happened, somehow the RSPW1 gets "forgotten" and fails to keep the engine warm...

That's what I was leaning towards but it's a shame to have RS232 on a device that some stupid policy renders useless. The solution given to JN by Sharp's TS would work but how stupid is it to need both IR & RS232 to affectively control a device.

Oh well!
  • Options
    Well... the green policy is not imposed by saving that RS232 engine miliwatt... It is by educating you to forget about the TV by not being able to turn it on.
    ===
    And yes, all these while probably a 600W multizone audio is purring 24/7. And yes, while the very existence of the RS232 port implies a whole control system in the background is generating heat on the exact purpose of trying to use it for what it was meant to be used for.
  • Options
    it was stated above but i will re state it,

some of the sharps need

send_string dvtv,"'R','S','P','W',' ',' ',' ','1',13"

some

send_string dvtv,"'R','S','P','W','1',' ',' ',' ',13"

and i have had to use

send_string dvtv,"'RSPW1 ',13"
    or
    send_string dvtv,"'RSPW 1',13"

I have had to use all of these variants for sharp tv's, We try now to no longer use their consumer displays.
  • Options
    On the set I've been having issues with sending "'RSPW1 ',13" would resilt in the display responding 'OK' but then turning the set off and then on wouldn't work. I would get 'ERR' which in my mind shouldn't occur if it's in deep sleep and doesn't want to respond to a power on command cuz I would think the port is shut down and if it's not listening it shouldn't be responding at all. So something else is going on.

I assume all these variants of "respond from deep sleep" command were required to get the "OK" response not to get the "OK" response and have it actually function correctly.
  • Options
    Control a Sharp TV via Ethernet???

If the AMX Forum "search" were any better...I probably would not have posted here, but...

Not sure about the model in question, but has anyone tried to control a Sharp TV via Ethernet?
  • Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    roognation wrote: »
    If the AMX Forum "search" were any better...I probably would not have posted here, but...

Not sure about the model in question, but has anyone tried to control a Sharp TV via Ethernet?

I don't have an answer. I just wanted to +1 on how much the new forum search sucks.

I know there was a Samsung thread about ethernet control somewhere....but nobody posted that they had it working, or were even actively trying to get it working.

Oh yeah, and the new forum search sucks.
  • Options
    Colzie wrote: »
    I don't have an answer. I just wanted to +1 on how much the new forum search sucks.
    Oh yeah, and the new forum search sucks.

Yes, please throw your hat in to the ring over here:
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?5468-Forum-Feature-Request