Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Congrats Jeff!

Congrats Jeff for winning the AMXhome Configure This! Challenge!

I just got the email blast! Pretty wicked setup you won there!

Congrats again!

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Many thanks. I am really looking forward to a proper test system in my home :)

I am grateful for the prize and for the configuration experience. I used to be really turned off by the whole AMXHome concept, but this contest forced me to revisit the whole thing. The offering is not to the point of replacing my code on the large systems I deal with normally, but I must say that it has come a long way from where it started. I am going to use AMXHome to configure the winning system and I will post a full (and as unbiased as I can be) report of how things worked with the software.

[Kanye West Break]
    Yo Jeff I'm real happy for you, but Dave had the best design of all time! The best design of ALL TIME!
    [/Kanye West Break]

Ummm.... ok....... ummmmm......

Thanks?!?!??

Jeff :)
  • Options
    Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your upcoming report!

--John
  • Options
    Congrats Jeff, job well done....(did you send AMX that blank cheque yet? JK, grats again )
  • Options
    Congrats Jeff, job well done....(did you send AMX that blank cheque yet? JK, grats again )

AMX didn't require the blank check...just a modest 5 digit sum. The one that worries me is Uncle Sam... I think right now the government is forming a committee to determine the best way to disperse my prizes among the needy. As it stands, I think they said I'll get the iWeather subscription and one controller from the Playstation, everything else will be better used by them. (Can you tell that I have been watching/listening/reading the news again? :) )

On a happy note, I will finally have a TV that supports the HD DVR box the cable company gave me because they were out of standard DVRs when I ordered the service a few years ago :) I just realized that my current TV doesn't even support S-Video :)

Jeff
  • Options
    That's right, I totally forgot about the IRS, we don't have many issues like that here in Canada.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Good show old man!
  • Options
  • Options
    Just an update on this... The AMX system still is not completely programmed (Joe the Plumber's kids don't throw stones into the fire barefooted and all :) ) I tried using the AMXHome configuration software and it was a quick way to get a functional system.... if everything you have is supported by AMXHome. Unfortunately, my receiver was not. Since the system revolves around the receiver in this case, I was stuck at the starting line.

I tried to massage the receiver to fit in, because AMX has a Duet module for a similar model that is mostly functional (more in a few), but as of right now, AMXHome is not very accepting of using standard Duet modules. I hear that this is in development and might already be released (the last time I had time to explore this was a month and a half ago). After spending a couple hours trying to wrap my head around how to modify the AMXHome code to handle this, I gave up and switched to my own code base.

When I switched to my own code base, I found that I picked a couple of inputs on the receiver that are not functioning in the Duet module and I have not had time to delve into this yet (recerts combined with holiday upgrades). Oh, and my Touch Panel has/is being used as a loaner and my R4 has been on loan a couple times as well :) I do use the system often tho and look forward to many hours of development and testing of code on it, but for now I use the get up and aim remote around corner technique for control :) I also have the R4 controlling my cable box when I turn everything on and switch it by hand.

The one thing I did notice is that the NI-3101 seems to be a little laggy. This topic has been brought up in another thread, so feel free to search for it. As far as I know, no explanation or cause has been discovered yet.

My final thoughts on AMXHome are that it is a decent product, as long as you play with toys that are supported by it.

Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    There is a very big problem with Duet modules and the latest release of NS3 as well. Many of the older ones just won't work (the Duet device won't even appear in the online tree). I was told a firmware update would fix this, but in the l;ast project where I ran into it, it did not. To add to the issue, newer Duet modules for that device were not available, and I had to replace it with a NetLinx module.