Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

ReQuest IMA6 Amplifier Question

Has anyone controlled this device? I'm not finding the protocol on their website. It does have an rs232 port on it. i don't imgaine it's anything too complicated.
e

Comments

• Options
    vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    The IMA amp is not an intelligent amp, by any stretch. I have controlled it with URC equipment, but only thru its matching IQ processor. Per their tech support, the 232 port on it is designed purely for control FROM the IQ. Now, that was the older amp, not the IMA6. It is very limited by the protocol, from what I remember. I do know that you can do discrete zone vol up, dn, off, and source selection, but yet again that was only thru the IQ. I am unaware of any feedback possibilities. If you call ReQuest, they can email you the protocol information on it, but I don't know how much you'll be able to do. Sorry.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vegastech wrote: »
    The IMA amp is not an intelligent amp, by any stretch. I have controlled it with URC equipment, but only thru its matching IQ processor. Per their tech support, the 232 port on it is designed purely for control FROM the IQ. Now, that was the older amp, not the IMA6. It is very limited by the protocol, from what I remember. I do know that you can do discrete zone vol up, dn, off, and source selection, but yet again that was only thru the IQ. I am unaware of any feedback possibilities. If you call ReQuest, they can email you the protocol information on it, but I don't know how much you'll be able to do. Sorry.

Thanks! I'll hit up the rep for something.
  • Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Has anyone controlled this device? I'm not finding the protocol on their website. It does have an rs232 port on it. i don't imgaine it's anything too complicated.
    e

AMX Module and program example
    http://www.request.com/downloads/integration/iq/amx/ReQuest%20_IMA_AMX_v1_0.zip

232 Protocol
    http://www.request.com/downloads/integration/iq/amx/ReQuest%20Intelligent%20Multiroom%20Amplifier%20Module%20for%20AMX%201.0.pdf

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it did look pretty interesting.
  • Options
    the8thst wrote: »

Our reps just chimed in and said they were pretty much not going to have outside controllers playing in their sandbox. His argument: "How to deal with two brains"

alas and anon. too bad.
    e
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Our reps just chimed in and said they were pretty much not going to have outside controllers playing in their sandbox. His argument: "How to deal with two brains"

alas and anon. too bad.
    e

It's closer to "how to deal with two bosses." A smart boss that talks to the employee and keeps full communications isn't going to have trouble and can adjust when said employee has conflicting orders from the other boss ... as long as the boss knows about it. Of course, if the employee is a moron and won't tell anyone what is going on, it's hopeless.

What the rep really is saying, but doesn't want to come right out with it is, "we don't want to deal with the support nightmares when something outside our control breaks the system." They should either make there controller a smarter boss or just be honest about it.
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    It's closer to "how to deal with two bosses." A smart boss that talks to the employee and keeps full communications isn't going to have trouble and can adjust when said employee has conflicting orders from the other boss ... as long as the boss knows about it. Of course, if the employee is a moron and won't tell anyone what is going on, it's hopeless.

What the rep really is saying, but doesn't want to come right out with it is, "we don't want to deal with the support nightmares when something outside our control breaks the system." They should either make there controller a smarter boss or just be honest about it.

I would support you taking over thier company!