Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Image of a fader

I need to find a good image of a traditional mixing console fader knob. Anyone have a good one?
Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Macromedia Flash has several pre-made fader buttons and knobs. I don't have Flash installed on my work PC, but I have it on my laptop. When I get home from work, I'll see if I can grab all of them and convert them to a .jpg or .png.
  • Try this:
    Use the attached 'faderback' pngs as backgroundimage for your fader (its horizontal and vertical).
    Then unzip the 6 files in 'sliders.zip' to
    C:\programs\common files\AMXShare\G4SupportFiles\__system\graphics\sliders
    or whereever this folder is on your machine and replace the existing files (windows_b.png, windows_h.png, windows_l.png, windows_r.png, windows_t.png and windows_v.png).
    Maybe a good idea to backup the original files before...;-).
    Restart TPDesign to see the new systemgraphics.
    Set the 'Slider Name' in TPDesign to 'Windows' and then make a Touchpanel-download with 'Full clean transfer (all panel & system graphics files)'.
    You will get a photorealistic fader with a faderknob wich sizes automatically with the size of your faderbutton. (see screenshot.png).
    Have phun....
  • D'oh!! I had totally forgot about this. I will post the ones from Flash as well.
  • Flash Fader Buttons

Here are png's of the premade fader buttons that come with Flash. These are the complete buttons. Flash also has the buttons broken down by layers. I can send those as well if you want them.
  • forgot the pan button...
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    forgot the pan button...

Those are pretty cool, thanks Jeff. The reflective light won't match my current scheme unfortunately but I might be able to fix that.
    Paul
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    How would you use the Flash graphics as sliders in AMX? It doesn't look like I'd be able to do with them what SendString did with his more realistic ones . . .
  • Jeff wrote: »
    How would you use the Flash graphics as sliders in AMX? It doesn't look like I'd be able to do with them what SendString did with his more realistic ones . . .

I was thinking they could be used in a multistate bargraph. The buttons could be transparent with these images as bitmaps.

a_riot42 wrote: »
    Those are pretty cool, thanks Jeff. The reflective light won't match my current scheme unfortunately but I might be able to fix that.
    Paul

Flash has them layered. I just copied and pasted them into Fireworks and saved them as png's, so I am not sure if the layer properties are still available. If they are usable at all, I'll copy and paste each individual layer into Fireworks and then you could manipulate the lights and shadows how you want.
  • SendString wrote: »
    Try this:
    Use the attached 'faderback' pngs as backgroundimage for your fader (its horizontal and vertical).
    Then unzip the 6 files in 'sliders.zip' to
    C:\programs\common files\AMXShare\G4SupportFiles\__system\graphics\sliders
    or whereever this folder is on your machine and replace the existing files (windows_b.png, windows_h.png, windows_l.png, windows_r.png, windows_t.png and windows_v.png).
    Maybe a good idea to backup the original files before...;-).
    Restart TPDesign to see the new systemgraphics.
    Set the 'Slider Name' in TPDesign to 'Windows' and then make a Touchpanel-download with 'Full clean transfer (all panel & system graphics files)'.
    You will get a photorealistic fader with a faderknob wich sizes automatically with the size of your faderbutton. (see screenshot.png).
    Have phun....

Wow, I had never been this deep in any AMX software. This is neat to see. I used this method to import the premade slider buttons that came with Flash. I made them a size that works on my NXT-CV10 and fits with what I am doing. Initially painful, but much easier than creating multi-state bargraphs. They are stretchable width wise for vertical bargraphs and stretchable height wise for horizontal bargraphs. To make bigger or smaller sliders, import all files into something like Fireworks, group them, re-size them, ungroup them, then save each individual piece in the AMXShare folder mentioned above.

Just in case anyone else wants to "hack" preloaded AMX sliders, vertical bargraphs utilize the right, left, and vertical images. Horizontal bargraphs utilize the top, bottom, and horizontal images.
  • My own personal preference. The fader backs that SendString provided with the fader buttons from Flash...
    My own personal preference. The fader backs that SendString provided with the fader buttons from Flash...

Not bad, although I don't think the fader knob matches the background. I was looking for a more photorealistic image. I can't seem to download the zip files posted as winzip says its not a valid archive.
    Paul
  • a_riot42 wrote: »
    Not bad, although I don't think the fader knob matches the background. I was looking for a more photorealistic image. I can't seem to download the zip files posted as winzip says its not a valid archive.
    Paul
    So I'm guessing you don't want to have to design the sliders yourself? I made the slider to fit the design I work with - which I find is the best way to make sure the design is precisely what you're looking for. :) Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop would both be excellent programs to accomplish the task.
    So I'm guessing you don't want to have to design the sliders yourself? I made the slider to fit the design I work with - which I find is the best way to make sure the design is precisely what you're looking for. :) Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop would both be excellent programs to accomplish the task.

I already tried but couldn't really get the realistic look I was after from the images I had. I was hoping to find a good image of a traditional fader control like from an Allen & Heath console and use that but in every image I have found the shadows or angle are wrong for a generic button. If I have to create it from scratch I will, but I thought someone might have been down this road.
    Paul
  • davidvdavidv Posts: 90
    How the slider works

So If i make a button and I set the background to be the slider back do I make another button and use the knob on top?

Or do I make 1 button that is a bargraph?

How do you make the slider work?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    You can make fairly decent faders in TPD4. It took about 20 minutes to make these. They look better on the TP than they do in the picture.

Added 2nd picture from screen shot since it looks a little better than the 1st pic.
  • level sliders

I made these for a project, and they are pretty universal (you could resize/rotate them in PS or whatever).

Standard multistate, 60 odd images, use the glowing LEDs on a button over the levels LEDs and set it to blink feedback, have it turn on when muted.

Change the background buttons to whatever you want, I also later put a long button with a grey small circle border and put it behind the level box (positioned just over/under the LEDs and set the background buttons opacity to 120ish. Makes it look like the LEDs are in their own 'hole' on the 'mixer'. Copy and paste for however many channels you can fit on your TP.

I accept Paypal if you feel like sending me royalties...lol

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand Binary, those who understand Hex, and the rest are probably installers :-)
    This is what I came up with. It looks better at full resolution on the TP.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Has anyone figured out how to get the sliders in there with a transparent background? (in the slider name itself)

I tried using 24-bit pngs and 8-bit pngs with transparent backgrounds, but that resulted in the sliders with yellow backgrounds in TPDesign4, and I obviously want them to have that transparent background. (the reason is I have a shadow dropping from the slider knob itself and it has rounded corners. (would be a shame if I can't get it to work with the transparent background, especially for the shadow, which would look really awesome)

Hope someone figured this out.

Included what it's supposed to look like, and what it looks like right now.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Nerieru wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how to get the sliders in there with a transparent background? (in the slider name itself)

I tried using 24-bit pngs and 8-bit pngs with transparent backgrounds, but that resulted in the sliders with yellow backgrounds in TPDesign4, and I obviously want them to have that transparent background. (the reason is I have a shadow dropping from the slider knob itself and it has rounded corners. (would be a shame if I can't get it to work with the transparent background, especially for the shadow, which would look really awesome)

Hope someone figured this out.

Included what it's supposed to look like, and what it looks like right now.

make the background transparent in Photoshop and save it as a 24-bit .png rather than an .jpg.
    ericmedley wrote: »
    make the background transparent in Photoshop and save it as a 24-bit .png rather than an .jpg.

Let me quote myself
    me wrote:
    I tried using 24-bit pngs and 8-bit pngs with transparent backgrounds, but that resulted in the sliders with yellow backgrounds in TPDesign4

I also know that the issue is within TPDesign and not within the actual image. The issue is the 'slider name' colour, which you can only set to a solid colour, not to transparent. So TPDesign picks that colour rather than a going with the transparency that was in the image anyway. I'm going to relay this to AMX UK so that they can resolve this.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    This doesn't fix the problem you describe, but I think it will be quicker than waiting for AMX to add transparency to the slider button:

Just create multiple images with the slider in all of the positions desired, then make a multi-state bargraph button. Keep in mind, you don't need to have 100 images even if the level range is 0-100. You could create 25 or 50 images and the button will still show an accurate enough depiction.... unless you are on a 17" touch panel and have a button big enough (at least 100 pixels high).

You could use this approach to do some neat things at the same time. You could add LED indicators that change color as the slider goes higher. If you are bored and talented, you could experiment with 3D effects.

Just a thought,
    Jeff
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Why not break it out to 100 states and load it up that way?

Edit: Jeff posted a bit quicker than I, but that's what I was essentially suggesting as well.
  • Sounds like you just have the fill color of the button set to yellow which is the default when you install TPD.

In TPDesign:
    1. Select the button
    2. Click on "States" in button properties
    3. Select "Fill Color" for all states
    4. Hit the 3 dots in the field next to where it's yellow
    5. Click the drop-down box next to "Choose Color by:"
    6. Select "Color Name"
    7. Scroll Down to "transparent" and select it

--John
  • Oops, sorry! Thought it was a standard button, didn't realize we were talking about the slider.
    --John
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Nerieru wrote:
    I also know that the issue is within TPDesign and not within the actual image. The issue is the 'slider name' colour, which you can only set to a solid colour, not to transparent. So TPDesign picks that colour rather than a going with the transparency that was in the image anyway.
    How did you go about adding that slider image to the drop down window for "slider name"? I didn't know that was possible.
    vining wrote: »
    Nerieru wrote:

How did you go about adding that slider image to the drop down window for "slider name"? I didn't know that was possible.

It isn't I replaced an existing one, though there might be a simple file in there stating the existing ones (i know this to be the case with many other software like this) and you could just simple add the entries (like in an xml file)

now I just split my image up in 3 separate images: windows_l.png, windows_v.png and windows_r.png and backed up the original files and then moved those in the folder that's in: <program files>/common_files/amx_share/g4supportfiles/_system/sliders. or something like that. And then used that as a slider.

Though I now have an issue where my tp4design crashes when I have that custom slider in there. (I have been having a lot of crashing issues with it, and frankly I haven't done anything strange with the software (yet))

Anyway, the 100-state thing, yeah that would work, but wouldn't that make the slider button go up as if it's a bar graph being slit up? (basically making the lower half of the button slider disappear and then slowly going in to the next one?)

I realize that would be a solution just to get it to work in some fashion, but AMX should allow custom sliders to be implemented easily (I have a really long list of things I would like to see added, but I doubt it's any use to give it to them, as the software we use now still looks and feels like it's 1998)
    Spire_jeff wrote:
    This doesn't fix the problem you describe, but I think it will be quicker than waiting for AMX to add transparency to the slider button:

Just create multiple images with the slider in all of the positions desired, then make a multi-state bargraph button. Keep in mind, you don't need to have 100 images even if the level range is 0-100. You could create 25 or 50 images and the button will still show an accurate enough depiction.... unless you are on a 17" touch panel and have a button big enough (at least 100 pixels high).

You could use this approach to do some neat things at the same time. You could add LED indicators that change color as the slider goes higher. If you are bored and talented, you could experiment with 3D effects.

Just a thought,
    Jeff

Jeff this can be achieved much more easily, if you make background images for your sliders, with those led. One with all off, one with all on. Then add a slider button to them. This will give you the same effect.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Nerieru wrote: »
    Anyway, the 100-state thing, yeah that would work, but wouldn't that make the slider button go up as if it's a bar graph being slit up? (basically making the lower half of the button slider disappear and then slowly going in to the next one?)

I realize that would be a solution just to get it to work in some fashion, but AMX should allow custom sliders to be implemented easily (I have a really long list of things I would like to see added, but I doubt it's any use to give it to them, as the software we use now still looks and feels like it's 1998)

Jeff this can be achieved much more easily, if you make background images for your sliders, with those led. One with all off, one with all on. Then add a slider button to them. This will give you the same effect.

Change the type from bargraph to multi-state bargraph. Doing this means that instead of splitting the On and Off graphics, the button displays the entire graphic state that represents the level. If the range of the button is 1-100 and you have 50 states, state 1 will be displayed for values 1 and 2, state 2 will be used for values 3 and 4 and so on. If you have 100 states instead of 50, the state will change to match the level. On some of the EQ sliders I have, they are set to a range of 0-24 with 11 states and it works fine.

As to the second part, doing it your way limits you to one on state and one off state, going with multi-state buttons opens more options. You could have the shadow cast by the slider button change as the slider moves up (if you are graphically inclined to do so :) ). This just isn't as easy to accomplish using the method you describe.

Jeff
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Change the type from bargraph to multi-state bargraph. Doing this means that instead of splitting the On and Off graphics, the button displays the entire graphic state that represents the level. If the range of the button is 1-100 and you have 50 states, state 1 will be displayed for values 1 and 2, state 2 will be used for values 3 and 4 and so on. If you have 100 states instead of 50, the state will change to match the level. On some of the EQ sliders I have, they are set to a range of 0-24 with 11 states and it works fine.

As to the second part, doing it your way limits you to one on state and one off state, going with multi-state buttons opens more options. You could have the shadow cast by the slider button change as the slider moves up (if you are graphically inclined to do so :) ). This just isn't as easy to accomplish using the method you describe.

Jeff

I know how to do it, that's not the issue, the issue is that it looks like the slider button isn't moving, but just slowly fading into the top and then fading in from the bottom. it makes it look like it's going in quite big steps, and if you move it only slightly you could end up with the top of the slider button at the bottom and visa versa.

as to the second part, I was just referring to leds, not shadow on the slider button. The thing is this is all very time consuming just to create a 'custom slider' and I think it's just a shame really. When you look at simple devices like touchscreen mp3 players/phones that cost far less than an amx touchscreen, but can do so much more. (multi touch/gestures/24-bit colours/custom graphics) Are lighter, have better touchable screens (the screen in the 5200i i.e. is in too deep, making graphics near borders useless. (Volume sliders, buttons you would put in a corner, or buttons you put in a bar. etc)
  • dbradydbrady Posts: 30
    You need to have a separate file with just the transparent parts defined by a black and white image. Look in \Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\G4SupportFiles\__system\graphics\sliders or
    \Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\G4SupportFiles\__system\graphics\cursors for examples.

For instance the Hand cursor has a file 'hand.png' and another 'hand_alpha.png' that defines the transparent parts. It works similarly for sliders. Take a look and see if you can figure it out. You basically need 3 more files with the same name with an _alpha on the end defining the transparency.
  • dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    Another option would be to use a multi-state bargraph and use the image position tween to change the position of the slider image. I haven't tried, but I think you could even use the slider in an icon slot and tween the icon position.

--D