Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

MVP 8400i goes offline / online / offline ... etc

MVP8400i (firmware v. 2.85.14) suddenly goes offline.
Log on master (NI4100 - firmware v. 3.41.422) shows that MVP in one minute goes online/offline for several times.
I tryed to change WAP (from WAG250G to 3Com 7760), change channels (1,6,11,10 and there is no any other WAPs nearby), switched off authentication & encryption, changed speed of WiFi (11Mbit/54Mbit), changed speed of master to 10Mbit.

MVPs log shows this kind of error "no route to host 0x94".
Now i have changed the IP from 10.10.101.254 to 10.10.101.25 and seems to work fine for 1 hour .. but who knows.

I need your assistant please!

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    karageur wrote: »
    MVP8400i (firmware v. 2.85.14) suddenly goes offline.
    Log on master (NI4100 - firmware v. 3.41.422) shows that MVP in one minute goes online/offline for several times.
    I tryed to change WAP (from WAG250G to 3Com 7760), change channels (1,6,11,10 and there is no any other WAPs nearby), switched off authentication & encryption, changed speed of WiFi (11Mbit/54Mbit), changed speed of master to 10Mbit.

MVPs log shows this kind of error "no route to host 0x94".
    Now i have changed the IP from 10.10.101.254 to 10.10.101.25 and seems to work fine for 1 hour .. but who knows.

I need your assistant please!

There are a number of things that can cause this. Here's a short list of things to try.

I've had bad experiences with cheapo Linksys routers. There's a known problem with them and the NIC card in the NI-4100. the symptom is that the NI just goes away on the network. the lights blink and all but it has llost its ability to talk to the network. We avoid using low-end Linksys on AMX systems in general. The higher-end Linksys works just fine. If this is the case, then it's not technically the TP.

The blinking on and offline sounds like either the wireless network is on the edge. I have a few touch panels that still do this depsite all our best efforts. They occur in homes that are just glowing with wireless devices. TPs don't handle network interference very well. Bear in mind anything that transmits on the 2.4Ghz range is a potential cause for interference on the WiFi network. Things like wireless phones, microwave ovens, some microprocessors like smart refrigerators, wine coolers, appliances, wireless garage door openers, etc.. all try to use the same freqiemcy band and consequently interfere with each other.

The design of your wireless network can be the culprit too. If you have more than one WAP in the home, make sure they are on different channels as far apart from each other as possible.

Ferreting these things out can be a real pain.
  • Options
    Thank you for your advices!

Thats the point - there are no any WAPs around & I also tryed all wifi channels.
    By the way it's almost 7 hours since TP works fine (keeping my fingers crossed)!
    Could it be something with .254 IP address ... ?
  • Options
    Depending on your network configuration, subnet, etc,... .254 would be the last usable IP address in the range, with .255 being the broadcast address. I've seen some residential routers (and net-admins) make weird assumptions about boundary addresses.

I tend to stay away from boundary addresses and [ab]use the middle portion of the address range just in case there is some other device (gateway, dns, printer, etc....) or some other 'fixed' type of device that I want to be able to access.

If you see similar problems on the new IP, then I might get a bit concerned. Until then, I wouldn' sweat it much.
  • Options
    I used
    mask: 255.255.255.0
    gate: 10.10.101.1
    dns: 10.10.101.1

seems to me - this config is ok... or not ?
  • Options
    Those *should* work, but....

To determine if there is any issue in the router/gear, you could try a laptop on the IP (.254) and do some throughput/ping tests and see if it has connectivity/routing issues. If not, then perhaps the 8400/wireless card has some unknown issue w/ that IP. If so, then the network gear may be suspect.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that amoung changing IP the last thing I did was also setting the DNS servers.
  • Options
    More problems to come ...

I have discovered one more issue with MVP-8400i. Once a day the display of TP becomes black (but something inside like backlite still glows very low) and it doesn't response on touches. Strange thing that NI4100 shows that it's offline, vnc client can't connect to it but, but telnet works! Log of panel doesn't show any abnormal things.
    Wireless statistics shows this: Link quality 74/100, Signal level 75/255, Noise level 162/152.
    What cound cause such behaviour?

p.s. masters firmware now v. 3.50.430
  • Options
    Just an idea, because we have a similar problem on a site. We have been suggested to have a look at the Cisco AP configuration. In some of these APs, there is a setting that rejects any network device, if they drop lower than a signal strength/quality level. So, even if the modero panel is connected to only one AP, these levels may change a little by the defined threshold, so it could be rejected or re-connected to the specific AP many times per minute.
    We are going to make this test by the end of next week and we will keep you informed.
  • Options
    Thank you for support! I will wait for results of your test. What as for my problem - next week I think that we'll try to exchange the TP on similar.