Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Anyone do anything for the Squeezebox yet?

2»

Comments

• kennyannkennyann Posts: 113
    Thank you HTH.

I used port 9000 and it worked with the sample module.

I am wondering if I could use this module with mulitple touch panels with mulitple squeezeboxes.

I am thinking of using port 9 for squeezebox 1 and port 10 for squeezbox 2. What modifications do I need to make in my code to allow this.

Thank you
  • frthomasfrthomas Posts: 176
    kennyann wrote: »
    I am wondering if I could use this module with mulitple touch panels with mulitple squeezeboxes.

I think that should work, but Jeff's really the expert on the module side, I know more about the squeezecenter side.

Jeff, still watching this thread?

Fred
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I haven't looked at the module but I would have to say that if it was written to support multiple devices it would be fairly apparent. If it wasn't written or intended to support multiple devices it's probably still capable of it but you will likely need to create a seperate TP port for each Squeeze box installed in the system and instantiate a seperate module for each device passing the proper dvTP_SQZBOX_# to each and obviously each one it's own IP devSQZ_BOX_# and probably vars passing the proper IP address and port as a paremeter to each module.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    The module has the ability to work with multiple touchpanels.
    At least, that's what I can find in code, look at this:
        panelList[1] = TP_SServer;
        set_length_array(panelList, 1);
        SS_SetPanels(vdSlimServer, g_SlimServer_UnitNum, panelList);

this would mean you could change the panellist[] var, and the call the SS_SetPanels function to update feedback.
  • richsrichs Posts: 13
    Problems with SlimserverMod and Cover Art

I might (!) be just stupid, but I can't get the cover art to come up using Jeff Coffler's SlimServerMod v 1.1. SqueezeCenter 7.2.1 - 23630 running on a Linux box (Ubuntu-Server) serves up the art on the web interface just fine, and my new Controller for the Duet system from Slim Devices/Logitech also shows the art without problems. My art is typically tagged into the mp3 files, but thinking that I needed the art explicitly in the album folder, I placed a file cover.jpg with a 300x300 scan of the cover art in several of the album folders and made up a playlist of them. No art appeared on the AMX screen (I'm using a modero 12" TP which, at least at one point, was running the TP4 panels supplied in the .zip file). I have checked and I properly named the dynamic image "Cover_Art", set it for HTTP, together with the explicit (static) IP address of the Linux Server. The file name is /fake/path at present, as I thought it was required by the TP4 software but not the system, but I've also tried using /usr/local/music which is my music folder, and it makes no difference. There is no firewall in the local system.

Everything else seems to work just fine (with the exception of the volume adjustment, which I haven't got around to debugging yet).

Can anybody tell me what I am missing here?

Thanks

Rich
  • RonenRonen Posts: 55
    Browse "Music Folders"

I'm also using the module and it's working great. the one problem I got is that my costumer wants to also be able to browse the folders and files, because not all music is tagged correctly.
    Does anyone know if it is a feature that will be added in the future? If not, are there any documents that can tell me how to do so?

Thanks,
    Ronen
  • bobbob Posts: 296
    jeffaco wrote: »
    The disadvantage: It *REQUIRES* a computer (not just NAS). But that's something I can live with.
    Jeff, there are NAS outthere that run embedded Linux anyway, with a powerful CPU and memory in there. There are also NAS outthere for which a ready-made SlimCenter port has been made -> Qnap. Just download from the Qnap Web-Interface and automagically install the SlimCenter for Qnap package. Works like a charm and you don't need a server. Qnap has an unbeaten performance (80GB out of a GigEth port) and also unbeaten software and (open source) support. I am not affiliated with them, only a very happy customer after evaluating almost all NAS out there.
    yuri wrote: »
    The module has the ability to work with multiple touchpanels.
    At least, that's what I can find in code, look at this:
        panelList[1] = TP_SServer;
        set_length_array(panelList, 1);
        SS_SetPanels(vdSlimServer, g_SlimServer_UnitNum, panelList);

this would mean you could change the panellist[] var, and the call the SS_SetPanels function to update feedback.
    Yes, the module works with a lot of different panels. However the panel list should be updated dynamically in the program depending upon which panels are online, have selected the Squeezebox and need to be updated. It doesn't make sense to have all panels updated all the time if they are not doing anything with the Slimdevices box. In my system I can control from each room each player and depending on panel setup execute SS_SetPanels() approriately. The module is working like a charm.

I was thinking about extending it so that it can display the song rating and enabling to press the star and select a new rating for the song being played. This would then enable creating of dynamic playlist based on rating, etc on the server.

And while we are on this, take a look at iPeng: it is an iPhone app for controlling SlimCenter in the same way as Remote controlls iTunes. Really cool 2nd interface to SlimCenter.

Basically SlimCenter is in my oppinion THE audio streaming software. They have the best software which is open sourced (with a lot of support and available plugins) and also various hardware clients, starting from the Squeezebox Receiver and ending up with the Transporter being a high-end client. All controlled through IP from the SlimCenter and accessing the same library with 24bit Wolfson DACs built in. Marvelous and works like a charm.
    kennyann wrote: »
    Thank you HTH.

I used port 9000 and it worked with the sample module.

I am thinking of using port 9 for squeezebox 1 and port 10 for squeezbox 2. What modifications do I need to make in my code to allow this.
    You don't need different ports. You run SlimCenter somewhere (best on a NAS) and it controls all the Slimdevice clients through IP. The Netlinx module for SlimCenter (old: SlimServer) controls the server process running on the server, also by IP. So, you actually control one device which on its turn control all other players. The server runs on port 9000, hower any other port is possible too in case port 9000 is already used for something else. You have to specify your clients in the master program, their MAC addresses (because this is how SlimCenter identifies and sends commands to the clients) and do some other setup things prior to calling the Slim module.

Best way to start is having a spare master with a spare VPN-CP (or Modero 8400), you just load the program and the TP files Jeff has on SourceForge and start fiddling around until you know how the module works and *then* start integrating it in your system. Otherwise there are too much potential sources for problems and you wouldn't know if it is the module, your setup or (probably) the integration in your program. It is a very powerful module.

I can very, very, very much recommend this module to anyone and also the Slimdevice system!
    Ronen wrote: »
    I'm also using the module and it's working great. the one problem I got is that my costumer wants to also be able to browse the folders and files, because not all music is tagged correctly.
    Does anyone know if it is a feature that will be added in the future? If not, are there any documents that can tell me how to do so?
    Hmm... iPeng can browse Music Folders, however this is much slower process than browsing tagged structure (which is cached by the SlimCenter server process). The difference is that the Server don't cache folders and depending on how big it is, it is very time consuming until all the structure and file content with art word is send to your panel or iPeng for display. Best is you or your customer get some tagger software and organize everything in a proper manner. There is MusicIP built into MusicBrainz (use Picard as a tagger app) which will automatically detect songs based on fingerprint information and allow tagging even on empty tracks, etc. If you are on a Mac look at http://www.equinux.com/us/products/songgenie/index.html. There are many other too, this just as a starting point.
    vincen wrote: »
    A lot less expensive than Imerge, a lot more reliable, a lot more scalable and customisable if you need :D
    That is very, very true.
  • RonenRonen Posts: 55
    Thanks

Thanks Bob, I'll try recommending the MusicBrainz App to my costumer, he already has the iPeng but wants to be able to browse from the AMX panel and not from the iPhone.

Ronen
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Does anyone know if there's a module out there that doesn't require squeezecentre to run? (Or if it's even possible to do)

Edit: That wouldn't be practical I guess, found a different solution. But a lot of the functions that a transporter can do aren't in this module yet, so I'm curious if people have interest in this and if anyone wants to do this with me.

e-mail me:
    j v o r s t e n b o s c h @ j n v . n l

I don't like spam, hence the spaces, be sure to remove those.
    No, this is not possible as it is SlimCenter streaming and controlling all clients (they are referenced by their MAC-address internally through the network). So, you must control SlimCenter and it controls all the clients. If you need a NAS to serve the media *and* at the same time being able ot run SlimCenter, take a look at Qnap TS series, something like TS-509 Pro or TS-809 is really fine. There are rackmount versions available too and the Slimdevices support for those NAS boxes is excellent, their hardware/networking performance too. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a very happy customer, who tested lot of other solutions.
    Nerieru wrote: »
    Edit: That wouldn't be practical I guess, found a different solution. But a lot of the functions that a transporter can do aren't in this module yet, so I'm curious if people have interest in this and if anyone wants to do this with me.
    There is also a telnet interface to the SlimCenter, if you open an IP connection, then you might be able to send commands directly to the Transpoter in parallel to the Netlinx module (opening the first connection anyway). It is a quick workaround and works very well, but you of course may want to implement those commands into the module itself.

Btw, which features are you missing and want to implement? Shouldn't be very hard to do anyway.
    bob wrote: »
    There is also a telnet interface to the SlimCenter, if you open an IP connection, then you might be able to send commands directly to the Transpoter in parallel to the Netlinx module (opening the first connection anyway). It is a quick workaround and works very well, but you of course may want to implement those commands into the module itself.

Btw, which features are you missing and want to implement? Shouldn't be very hard to do anyway.

Basically the strive is to give them full control, all the things you normally can do through the browser interface. In a nice orderly fashion, I'll be making a nice GUI to go with it. Which is probably where I'll start.
    There is a very cool interface for the iPhone/iPod Touch called iPeng which does everything. I have took a look at CommandFusion which is basically a very powerful TPDesign equivalent producing a GUI for the iPhone controlling the AMX master (the iPhone becomes the TP). There are some license fees associated with CommandFusion but other that one reuses all the Apps available for the iPhone and there is alot!

I would gladely join, however I am not sure my time schedule would allow me to do much. Feel free to ping me with any questions you may have regarding SlimCenter, the clients, the Transporter or the Netlinx module. I am sure Jeff Coffler would be glad to help too and integrate back your code if you decide to share?!
    bob wrote: »
    There is a very cool interface for the iPhone/iPod Touch called iPeng which does everything. I have took a look at CommandFusion which is basically a very powerful TPDesign equivalent producing a GUI for the iPhone controlling the AMX master (the iPhone becomes the TP). There are some license fees associated with CommandFusion but other that one reuses all the Apps available for the iPhone and there is alot!

I would gladely join, however I am not sure my time schedule would allow me to do much. Feel free to ping me with any questions you may have regarding SlimCenter, the clients, the Transporter or the Netlinx module. I am sure Jeff Coffler would be glad to help too and integrate back your code if you decide to share?!

naturally it will be open-source, aaaah the beauty of open-source. :)

Well I've launched a project on sourceforge for tracking. https://sourceforge.net/projects/squeezecontrol/
    I hope others will subscribe as well. That would make it go a whole lot faster!

Edit: Added a preview of what the template will look like
    P.s. Guess what my favorite band is!
    Small update on the layout

Added Favorites button, and add to playlist button, also added back, search and done.
    Cool, looks really good. I would however make the coverart a little bigger. You have a button for playlist recal, you know to choose from all saved playlists?
  • nielsynielsy Posts: 32
    This looks great...
    I have also control a squeezebox at home with my amx system.
    But no internet radio... So this looks great! How far do you have the code? I could help?

I'll follow it.... ;)
    Just to make sure you know the 8400 and VPN pages by Dominique Hirigoyen used in the original project by Coffler. Here couple snapsthots: http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=25568, http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=25570, http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=25572
    @bob
    AFAIK the cover art pretty low res, and if it's so that the cover art collected is bigger we could always make a pop-up for the larger sized cover art

@Nielsy
    I have a feeling you're not a programmer right?

Well we could always use a few beta-testers, as it's really important to have those as well.

Ok changed the layout slightly again, here's a few screenshots. Also added more colours for the background. Which I will put in my next post
    The rest of the screenshots.

Code has been slightly optimized (by a colleague of mine), and I'm starting on it now.
    Let's continue the discussion here:

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=6319