Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Software compatibility

I'm getting a new laptop and I need to know if there is any software that we usually use that it is not compatible with either Windows XP Professional 64 bit or Windows 7 64 bit. I'm looking not only for AMX programs but also for programs for any vendor in the CI industry that might not be compatible with these OS before I make a decision; so if you know of any specific one list it here.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    flcusat wrote: »
    I'm getting a new laptop and I need to know if there is any software that we usually use that it is not compatible with either Windows XP Professional 64 bit or Windows 7 64 bit. I'm looking not only for AMX programs but also for programs for any vendor in the CI industry that might not be compatible with these OS before I make a decision; so if you know of any specific one list it here.

XP is fine with all AMX programs. Vista and Win7 won't install the G4 Panel Preview program, unless there is a trick to it I haven't found out. I haven't tried the DOS programs on Vista, but they are fine with XP.
  • Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I can't remember if I had to do anything crazy or not, but I had G4 panel preview installed on Vista, and I have since upgraded to Windows 7. G4 still works just fine.
  • Options
    DigiMeDigiMe Posts: 59
    To install the G4 Panel Preview Application:

1. Right-click on the install app and select "Properties"
    2. Select the tab call "Compatibility"
    3. Locate the box below that tab called "Compatibility Mode"
    4. Check-Mark the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
    5. Use the default "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"
    6. Click "Apply" and then click "OK"
    7. Double-click on the install the program and away you go.

This will work for most AMX programs that will not install by default. The only other program i ran into a issue was "IREdit" due to the fact it requires .Net Framework 1.1 which is not installed in Windows 7 by default.
    Install the prerequisite program first and then install "IREdit". After the app installs, I have found that my comm port will not communicate to the IRIS unless I run the actual app in compatibility mode as well.
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    I have an issue with IREdit 1.3 + IRIS on WinXP SP2 running within Paralles on a Mac OS X 10.5.8. While every other software and latest Studio runs fine, also the COM port through an USB Prolific interface, after digging up my old IRIS and trying to use it again and capture some commands, it won't send data to IREdit.

I verified COM port settings 9600 8N1, the cable (between the USB prolific and IRIS) is a 2-3, 3-2, 5-5, all the P-settings on the IRIS are according to the manual on default but to no avail. When I start capturing the IRIS would receive the command and verify but not send to IREdit, also IREdit would stay waiting for that command. Pressing the SEND button doesn't do anything.

Thanks much in advance for any hints!!
  • Options
    flcusat wrote: »

Doug Hall responded in a similar thread a little while ago explicitly stating that none of the AMX applications are supported on the 64bit platform. Running WIndows 7 here, the only issue being IREDIT which I seem to eventually get working after fiddling around in the compatibility dialog.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    icraigie wrote: »
    Doug Hall responded in a similar thread a little while ago explicitly stating that none of the AMX applications are supported on the 64bit platform. Running WIndows 7 here, the only issue being IREDIT which I seem to eventually get working after fiddling around in the compatibility dialog.
    What kinds of fiddling did you do? Because I can't seem to install IREdit on Win 7; I keep getting an error about my .Net framework being below v1.1 (which isn't true)
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I have IREDIT working fine on Win732 and Win764.
    Just continue the install, Win will ask if it installed right or if it should reinstall in compatibility mode, say yes, this will occur twice I think, then it works.
  • Options
    felixmoldovanfelixmoldovan Posts: 197
    Just installed it the other day on Win7/32. Got the same error and did precisely what they asked me to... The install of IREdit System Files cleaned the way and all went just fine.
  • Options
    pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    After breaking a work laptop last year (bad design from ASUS, not me I swear!) I had to naturally reinstall everything again, after battling with stuff like this in the past on Win7 64bit I decided to set each and every AMX installer to WinXPSP3 compatibility.

It's working like a charm.