Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

NI Power supply problems

Hello

We are having awful lot of NI controller power supplies going dead the last few months. It is not clear to us what could be the reason. Mostly it is a PSN2.8 but I've seen this also happing with a PSN4.4.
Most of these installation are not particularly complex and the ambient temperature is not that high, at least not when we are around to replace the power supply. We are suspecting power spikes, but it's happening at different customers..
For now, I just want to know if somebody of you guys have had the same issues in the past?
thanks for your reply!

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    michao11 wrote: »
    Hello

We are having awful lot of NI controller power supplies going dead the last few months. It is not clear to us what could be the reason. Mostly it is a PSN2.8 but I've seen this also happing with a PSN4.4.
    Most of these installation are not particularly complex and the ambient temperature is not that high, at least not when we are around to replace the power supply. We are suspecting power spikes, but it's happening at different customers..
    For now, I just want to know if somebody of you guys have had the same issues in the past?
    thanks for your reply!

I suppose the obvious thing to look at is how much stuff do you have plugged into them? Give us an example setup that has failed.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Just cuz they're happening to different customers doesn't mean they're not on the same dirty power grid. What country and area are we talking about. I haven't heard of any PS complaints or problems.
  • Options
    it's mostly not that complex, most of these setup's are quite simple, like:

//RS232
    dvBeam = 5001:1:0
    dvSwitcher = 5001:2:0
    dvDVD = 5001:3:0

//RELAY
    dvRelay = 5001:4:0 //Electrical screen

//TOUCHPANEL
    dvTP = 10001:1:0

That's it.
    We are in Belgium 220V.
    The power supplies of the other equipment in the rack are not failing, that's the strange thing.

thx
  • Options
    We have seen the same issue in the last couple of months (Netherlands, 230V). I have discussed this with AMX and they indicated that AMX UK did not deliver the original amx 2.8 PS for the past couple of years but a (cheaper) OEM version.

They recently switched back to the original PS from AMX US and that seems to have solved most of our issues.

I am relieved that we are not alone in this matter as AMX has implied.
  • Options

I am relieved that we are not alone in this matter as AMX has implied.

We have had a discussion with AMX UK about this also. We almost never order power supllies (build our own in more complex systems), but the one time we did we got 15V, generic, non AMX labeled, power supplies, with an ordernumber that isn't on the AMX price list (PSN4.2 not 4.4).

we were told that:

"With reference to the problem described below, the panels have a regulator so these power supplies should be fine with the units, the reason why you where sent 4.2 and not 4.4 is because the 4.4 is the power supply for the MVP panels. The 4.2 is required for the other panels as it has a different connection.
    If the power supplies where from us then they are what we are issued from Dallas and this would mean that if they are labeled as such then they would work."

After some more discussion I decided to devote my energy to something more urgent and not to order a power supply with AMX again. I can order cheap generic stuff myself, quality is the reason we want to use the pricey AMX supplies!

Like I said, we don't use these often but where we did, they have not failed, yet.

Richard
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    michao11 wrote: »
    it's mostly not that complex, most of these setup's are quite simple, like:

//RS232
    dvBeam = 5001:1:0
    dvSwitcher = 5001:2:0
    dvDVD = 5001:3:0

//RELAY
    dvRelay = 5001:4:0 //Electrical screen

//TOUCHPANEL
    dvTP = 10001:1:0

That's it.
    We are in Belgium 220V.
    The power supplies of the other equipment in the rack are not failing, that's the strange thing.

thx

Sorry,
    I was actually referring to the power side of things. What do you have hooked up to the power supply? Obviously some kind of touch panel and some kind of NI. Which model touch panel? Which NI, etc...
  • Options
    Eric
    To the PS is nothing hooked up but the NI controller. In this particular case it is a NI2100, in other cases a NI3000 or NI3100. The touch panels have their own power supply, always.

Dries,
    that's exactly what we were told also. But I have recently seen one PSN4.4 (AMX label) failing after half a year! This is a problematic site though, so I hope it will happen only at this customer and that can be explained by too high temperature inside the rack or power spikes.

thx for your replies