Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

device notifications - how to monitor output/input?

I was trying to see exactly what my code was sending out to my video switcher, and I realized that apparently I don't know how to use netlinx device notifications as well as I thought I did. I have my switcher on serial port 1 (5001:1:0), and I enabled device notifications after adding that device's address, along with the checkboxes for strings and commands to and from the device. However, when I send a command out, I'm not seeing it in the output bar. What could I be doing wrong? I'm only doing a SEND_STRING dvAVSW sequence, where dvAVSW is listed as the aforementioned 5001:1:0. I am able to monitor the variables associated with my button presses.

Comments

• Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    vegastech wrote: »
    I have my switcher on serial port 1 (5001:1:0), and I enabled device notifications after adding that device's address
    System 0 doesn't work, you have to use the actual system number just as you do in Control A Device.
  • Doesn't work for what, exactly? Returning notifications?
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    System 0 is a wildcard that can be used within your code to reference 'the system this code is running on'. Within NetLinx studio and any of the diagnositics tools you need to specify the system number of the device your are targeting, in most cases this is likely to be 1.
  • Got it. I tried to go in and change my system/device numbers, but I'm getting a message back that says "change not successful, check permissions"? I don't have authentication set up on my master. Thoughts?
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Within NetLinx studio and any of the diagnositics tools you need to specify the system number of the device your are targeting
    Emulate A Device accepts system 0. The request has been made to have Control A Device and Notifications follow suit but it?s a no go as it stands right now.
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    From that message it sounds like you were trying to change the actual system number of your master from DIAGNOSTICS/NETWORK ADDRESSES and that is not what you need to do. From DIAGNOSTICS/NOTIFICATIONS specify the system number along with your device and port and make sure that it isn't zero.
  • I guess therein lies the problem - my processor is set to 1 for the system number, but my declared devices all show a 0 at the end of define_device. Everything still works, however, except for the input/output I am trying to see. If I change my devices to 1 for their system numbers(D:P:S), should I have better luck with this?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vegastech wrote: »
    I guess therein lies the problem - my processor is set to 1 for the system number, but my declared devices all show a 0 at the end of define_device. Everything still works, however, except for the input/output I am trying to see. If I change my devices to 1 for their system numbers(D:P:S), should I have better luck with this?

There's no problem with that.

writing code like this:
    DEFINE_DEVICE

dv_Some_Device  = 5001:01:0

means
    dv_Some_Device  = 5001:01:"whatever master this program is loaded into regardless of system ID assigned."

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Don't change anything in your code. The :0 in code works as it should. In code, the :0 is treated as a variable and it is replaced with the system number of the processor the code is loaded on.

When you go into diagnostics, that conversion does not work. Instead of putting 5001:1:0 into the diagnostics dialog, you have to substitute the actual system number. This means put 5001:1:1 in the diagnostics dialog.

Jeff

P.S.
    I am feeling extra helpful at the moment and if you want me to show you quickly using gotomeeting, let me know. It will take about 2 minutes. :)
  • Ok, I got it. Sometimes I need these things drawn out in crayon.... ;) Or perhaps its that A.D.D. of mine....