Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

iPod Control

Greetings,

I am finally in a situation where I need to control an iPod.

I intend to use Sonance docks and will be controlling from several panels.

What module (Nelinx preferred over Duet) have people been using?

Any common pitfalls in integration?

Thanks.

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    The netlinx module is much better. The only problem I am aware of is an issue with the Unicode support in the comm module. I think it has been long enough that the fixed module is part of the download, but if your entire processor locks up while you are using the iPod, this is the problem.

The only other problem I am aware of is that the latest firmware for iPods prevents them from charging while docked in the iPort. They still function, but they will not charge and they will be running on battery while in use.

Jeff
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    AMX Netlinx version 3.21 is up on the website. Is that the one to use?
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    The new generation of Nanos (yep, the rainbow colored ones) will not work with the Sonance iPorts. This is because the new generation only supports USB. The original iPod only supported Firewire, and every version of the iPod in between supported both. Sonance in their engineering assumed Apple would have Firewire support forever and based their dock on this... or so I've been told.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I think Jon Parker (of AMX tech support fame) wrote the module that is on the Sonnance website. I have high praise for that module. It's worked flawlessly for me over and over again. It is Netlinx and not Duet. It's also one of the cases where I use the UI as well. I resesigned it to work with my '1-page, zillions of popups' touch panel scheme. However, it actually looks like the original quite a bit.
    Would you mind emailing me that module? I don't see it on the Sonance site.

Thanks.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    The only other problem I am aware of is that the latest firmware for iPods prevents them from charging while docked in the iPort. They still function, but they will not charge and they will be running on battery while in use.
    How ridiculously stupid is that? I wonder what genius decided that was a good idea. Sheesh.
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    How ridiculously stupid is that? I wonder what genius decided that was a good idea. Sheesh.

I imagine Apple got tired of warranty-replacing LION batteries burnt up by OEM chargers...
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I imagine Apple got tired of warranty-replacing LION batteries burnt up by OEM chargers...
    Is that how the story goes? I didn?t find anything regarding Apple/iPod firmware crippling but I did find this statement from Sonance/iPort:

http://www.iportmusic.com/news_100708.html
    iPort/iPod Compatibility Update

This communication is to help clarify iPod-iPort feature compatibility and refers to the current iPod nano, classic, iPhone and iPod touch. Apple has made changes over time. It is important to keep these changes in mind when specifying iPort.

Please refer to the compatibility chart <inline link off 'compatibility chart' to the iPort/iPod Compatibility PDF on the support page> when selecting which iPort model to use for a given application. The chart has iPod models down the left side and iPort models across the top.

The newest iPods (3G iPhone, iPod touch and iPod nano) will not charge in any iPort model The exception is iPod classic, but the next generation classic will likely not charge. Video capability is also limited. For video access and control, use IW-5 or FS-5 with a .. or AMX system. Other RS-232 control systems may work as well, but the control module must be written to do so. It is up to the system programmer to write their program accordingly.

Because of all these changes, we do not recommend upgrading an existing iPort model with a feature upgrade kit. This is especially important when upgrading to RS-232 control, such from an IW-3 to an IW-4. If RS-232 control is necessary, please replace the entire iPort with an IW-4 or FS-4. Any money saved by installing a feature upgrade kit may be lost because of firmware incompatibility issues.

iPort engineering is currently working on new products that will again allow charging and simple video access. Next generation FS-21 and FS-22 along with an IW Series Main Board Upgrade are targeted for a 1st Quarter ?09 release.
    I'm not sure of the why, but I have a 2nd gen iPod touch and it does not charge in the iPort. My boss has a 1st gen iPod touch and it does charge in the iPort.

I did hear something about the iPort only supporting charging via firewire, and the newest iPods only supporting USB, but I don't have official information regarding this, just second hand stuff :)

Jeff
  • Apple turns the screw

I think this issue is tied in with Apples decision to require all future "Made for iPod" accessories to have an Apple ID / authentication chip integrated as a form of licensing for Apple. It is taking time for all manufacturers to become approved and gain a supply for new models... Surely an uncompetitive act if ever there was one...
  • I can't be paid enough to integrate an iPod with an AMX system - much less look at a design for such - but I can tell you that the same issue exists for the Cre$tron dock solutions. Everything prior to the current version of iPods/iPhones supported charging through either Firewire or USB, but now - not so much. The press release listed above should have said "2nd generation iPod touch", but I think someone else already pointed that one out...

All I can say is that I'm happy the iPod Touch I recently bought was a 1st gen. because of this... :)

- Chip
    I think Jon Parker (of AMX tech support fame) wrote the module that is on the Sonnance website. I have high praise for that module. It's worked flawlessly for me over and over again. It is Netlinx and not Duet.

The 3.21 module as written uses the queing module for R4s. Has anyone tried without the queing module, especially since ZigBee Pro?

Thanks.
    I went in and made a couple modifications to the UI module to allow it to operate on the R4s without the queuing module and it seems to work fine.

Jeff
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I went in and made a couple modifications to the UI module to allow it to operate on the R4s without the queuing module and it seems to work fine.

What kind of mods?

Didi you do these pre-ZigBee Pro?
    I made the modifications a couple weeks ago. There is a function that checks the id of the panel to determine if it is an R4 or a standard panel. If its an R4, it won't send a bunch of data as I recall.

Jeff
    I think Jon Parker (of AMX tech support fame) wrote the module that is on the Sonnance website. I have high praise for that module. It's worked flawlessly for me over and over again.

I am using the module you refer to. I have the newer iPort FS-2 connected to an NI-3101. I am mostly using it with iPhone, but sometimes iPod Touch.

Quite often, the iPod will not come online in the module. Sometimes pressing the button on the iPort helps, sometime pressing the iPod online button in the module's UI helps.

I am trying to figure out what the logic is here. Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • Ipod touch with AMX

Can an ipod touch on the same network as a NI-700 or AXB-NET talk to an Axcent3 controller?Sorry if this question may have been asked numerous times.
    Eric
    No, too mach data for Axcent 3. Incoming serial buffers will overflow.
  • AXB-NET

OK, so what can I do with an AXB-NET devices? I have a few spares laying around, can I network my AXCENT3 controllers, or are these only for connecting 1 AXlink device to another?
    Thanks,
    Eric
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Throw them at amorous stray cats in the middle of the night?

It's been a very long time since I looked at one of those, but as I recall, they used a proprietary protocol that was more than a little unwieldy. I could be misremembering, but I have long felt their usefulness was limited, and I never ranked them very high on my solutions list.
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Throw them at amorous stray cats in the middle of the night?

It's been a very long time since I looked at one of those, but as I recall, they used a proprietary protocol that was more than a little unwieldy. I could be misremembering, but I have long felt their usefulness was limited, and I never ranked them very high on my solutions list.

Not to mention they have some pretty oddball requirements that make the network setup quite a bear. They do, however, make great door stops.
  • What the forums experience using the Duet Module? Any problems using a dev array for the touch panels?

DEFINE_MODULE 'iPort_IW5_Comm_dr1_0_0' DuetCode(vdvIpod, dvIPod)
    DEFINE_MODULE 'iPort_IW5_UI' TP1(vdvIpod, dvRoomTpD, nIPodBtns, nTXT_BTN, nLVL_BTN)
    kbeattyAMX wrote: »
    What the forums experience using the Duet Module?

DEFINE_MODULE 'iPort_IW5_Comm_dr1_0_0' DuetCode(vdvIpod, dvIPod)
    DEFINE_MODULE 'iPort_IW5_UI' TP1(vdvIpod, dvRoomTpD, nIPodBtns, nTXT_BTN, nLVL_BTN)

I've not had much luck with the duet module. It seems to have issues staying online and in getting metadate.
  • The UI's are different between the Netlinx and Duet modules. The code is existing so... It looks as if I need to redo the multitudes of TPs in the system unless I can make the Duet work.
    Ixnay on the uetday odulemay :)

I had all sorts of problems with that module. The NetLinx version has been rock solid for me. I did do a little editing of the UI module that is included to better handle how I work with multiple panels, but out of the box even the UI module works well. The nice thing is that the UI module code is included, so you shouldn't have to start from scratch.

Jeff

P.S.
    I have the NetLinx version working at one house that has 5 iPorts available and they have been working well.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Last I tried, the Duet module didn't work with the newest NS. The devices don't even come online. There may be an update available ... that was around October. However, the NetLinx version is actually newer, and works just as well.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Jon Parker FTW!

I've been using the Netlinx module for quite some time now, and it just works. No problems.

Just remember channel code 142 to connect to the iPod!!!
  • So no one has gotten the Duet Module to work. RIght?
    kbeattyAMX wrote: »
    So no one has gotten the Duet Module to work. RIght?
    Yes, I think that's the consensus.