Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Biamp Nexia TC

Quick question about the Biamp. I am trying to control the output 1 volume. What is the command to send to the nexia. Is it a fader level or an out put level.

I tried sending "'SETL 1 OUTLVL 12 1 10', $0A" I get back and error message.

I then tried sending "'SETL 1 FDRLVL 12 1 10', $0A" I get back an +OK, but i still cant hear anything. Am I sending the correct command? I know my unit is 1, and the instance ID is 12 from the DSP

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Whether you want to control a fader or level or whatever depends on the type of block that you are trying to control. Look at the Biamp RS232 protocol manual for the various different blocks available (which you have probably already done). The problem is that if you are not programming the unit you have to rely on whoever it is that programmed it to tell you what the instance ID number is and what type of block it is. You can have input/output blocks, various sorts of mixer blocks, control blocks, etc. Even if the guy who programmed it went to Biamp school, chances are that he won't be able to tell you what type of block it is with any specificity and, until you've been through this stuff a couple times, when you ask what the instance ID is you'll probably be served up a blank stare in response.

But, you've already solved the problem of what block type it is and what the instance ID is because you are getting an OK response back from the Biamp. If you send it a command that is not appropriate for the instance number, you'll get back an error message of some sort. So, you know that you have a fader control block and it's ID #12.

So, why don't you hear anything? Probably because you are using the 'SETL' command (which is for controlling without using negative numbers and/or decimals) and, as far as I can figure, a level of 10 using SETL probably corresponds to about -100 db. If you use the SETD command instead of SETL, you'll get back a more verbose response than just 'OK' and you can send the level directly rather than with the conversion required by 'SETL'. Also, you can try the INCD command which will increment as specified and give a long reply. 'GETD' will tell you what the current level (in db) is.

About those instance numbers. I've been told that the Biamp programmer can assign a tag to the instance so that you can address the tag rather than the numerical instance ID. If you can get the Biamp programmer to do that, you can work out some code so that you don't have to keep track of all the instance numbers. I've tried to get that done, but without success.

Another thing, the Biamp software allows monitoring of the fader levels while you are controlling them so you can see via the Biamp software what affect your commands are having without having to rely on the RS232 response strings. If you and the Biamp programmer are working on the system at the same time, you can then easily coordinate configuration so that you are sure that the levels/gains/faders/mute controls, etc that you are manipulating are the ones that the Biamp programmer intended.

We used to use ClearOne stuff almost exclusively but recently we've been using some Biamp -- probably for reasons that have nothing to do with me. In my opinion, ClearOne units are much easier to understand and manipulate, but after you've done a couple of the Biamps, you'll mostly work out the idiosyncrasies.
  • Options
    bnealbneal Posts: 22
    Thanks. I have been fooling around with things. I downloaded the Nexia software so I could see what was going on. I went into the software and I can see the levels changing, and did notice that it I needed to go higher with the levels.

What I figured is that to hear anything I had to press the start audio to get the audio to come come out. Is there a command for that or do I need to send a route to the matrix to get the audio to come out when not using the software?

I am new to this equipment and have a stupid deadline to get it done. thanks for the help.
  • Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    bneal wrote: »
    Thanks. I have been fooling around with things. I downloaded the Nexia software so I could see what was going on. I went into the software and I can see the levels changing, and did notice that it I needed to go higher with the levels.

What I figured is that to hear anything I had to press the start audio to get the audio to come come out. Is there a command for that or do I need to send a route to the matrix to get the audio to come out when not using the software?

I am new to this equipment and have a stupid deadline to get it done. thanks for the help.

That, I don't know. What we have done is to define configuration presets and then just call presets to manipulate routing configurations. In general, I'd say that the entire routing configuration can be done via Nexia programming/setup without any control by the AMX. My guess is that if the Nexia is set up and programmed properly that you shouldn't have to do anything but call presets, change levels/faders/gains as appropriate.