Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

iPhone/iPod Touch remote idea

I am throwing this out there to see how many will like to see a product described below:

Imagine a Mio-R4 with Play, Pause, Stop, FF, REW, Next, Prev (Very useful with Cable DVD or Sat DVR) hard buttons and instead of the touch panel to have a nice docking for an iPhone or iPod Touch.
With this you can see your security cameras and fast 2way feedback, New, Weather, E-mail, Stocks ??
I have tested wireless rooming with 4 access point from my iPhone and while sending telnet commands to the NI processor I never lost connection while rooming.

The remote can have a nice battery inside to provide additional useful time for iPhone/ iPod Touch while working WiFi.

I understand the business of making profit on touch panels and agree with it, in the same time times are different and what do you think about selling more of the remotes described above and instead of selling one Touch Panel for multiple rooms we could sell multiple of the above (I believe the customer will be a lot happier) and possible to make the same profit. I think the hard buttons are so much easier to work with then on the screen.
A lot of other companies have solutions for iPhone and iTouch and competition is getting harder with this times.

I am curious what other people are thinking of this idea. (You know technologically this is possible). With this you can make profit on hardware and software if designed appropriately.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    there's been quite a bit of discussion on this.

the most recent and biggest thread is:
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=6537

Also, iRidium is an option to create touch panel files like you know already and get them into the iPhone.
  • Options
    Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    I think your suggesting an add-on to an iPhone to provide hard buttons etc - sitting under the iPhone using the dock connector?

while i think that in principle your point is a good one - the lack of instant volume control buttons on an iPhone app is a pain, in reality I'm not sure - Marantz have an iPod Dock that has a wireless cradle to provide a BlueTooth audio link for an iPhone, this has a couple of hard buttons (for Marantz RC5 commands) - the issue I have with it is it seriously changes the feel and balance of the iPhone and that is the big problem - you take a styling device and turn it into something clunky.

I'd rather hope in time that apple allow developers to access the hard volume buttons directly in apps for different uses other than iPod Volume.
  • Options
    bogdanbogdan Posts: 42
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    I think your suggesting an add-on to an iPhone to provide hard buttons etc - sitting under the iPhone using the dock connector?

Yes. A redesigned Mio-R4 and instead of the screen to allow an iPhone / iPod Touch to connect using the iPhone connector. (Take an iPhone external keyboard and redesign the board to be used as channel no. and write an app for the iPhone to accept touch panel files like ?.. ). In the body of the remote also include a battery to extend the use time.

My point was, if you have hard buttons the remote is more functional (single hand operation)
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    You mean like the RTI T2C . . . it still blows my mind why AMX would exclude the transport buttons. I mean seriously?

I have an idea - let us dealers see what you're going to provide, and allow us to give you feedback before you blow a year and a half to two years of research, development and brainstorming before coming out with something that's almost useless or completely useless and overpriced (i.e. 8400 docking station). With this new Bullseye program, it'd be wonderful if we could give some input before the fact rather then after and not wait another 2 years before a fixed or better product is released.
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    jjames wrote: »
    You mean like the RTI T2C . . . it still blows my mind why AMX would exclude the transport buttons. I mean seriously?

So they can charge more!

http://www.amx.com/products/MIO-R4-KP-TRANSPORT.asp