Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

MVP5200i - Windows 7*64

Hi

I try to do a firmware update in a MVP5200i (battery upgrade kit) with Windows 7 64 bits but Windows dosen't found USB driver for this panel.

By the same time, if I look setting for virtual master trough USB in netlinx studio, it's 10.0.0.2 ans in the panel is 12.0.0.2 is it normal?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    You need to download the newest version of USBLAN and check the technotes. I seem to recall reading something recently that decsribe the procedure to change the USB over IP address.
  • DenisDenis Posts: 163
    I already do that, I connected the panel on my laptop, Windows 7 32 bits and it's found driver but not on my dexktop.

Laptop, windows 7 *32 upgraded from vista

Desktop, Windows 7 * 64 new install
  • sling100sling100 Posts: 123
    I had real problems connecting to a 5200 over USB with W7 - the virtual master went 'online' - I could even ping the panel, but the unit refused to accept that it was connected. Turned out to be my antivirus - turned it off and bingo.

Have you set the USBLAN connection to a static IP?

Simon
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've had trouble in the past, not just with AMX, with auto-detecting USB drivers. If it found them automatically, you might want to go into device manager and explicitly set the drivers to the files from AMX.
  • The USBLAN driver s for the older panels (8400, 7500, CV7, CV10, 12/15/17,etc). The newer panels such as the 5200, 5150, 500, etc do not require it. They use the driver built into Windows. Check your panel on the system settings setup page and see what your USB IP address is. It is probably 12.0.0.2 or something like that. You will need to go into your network connections in Windows and verify that your IP address is set to 12.0.0.1 and your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Sometimes windows will default the subnet mask to 255.0.0.0.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    rgelling wrote: »
    The USBLAN driver s for the older panels (8400, 7500, CV7, CV10, 12/15/17,etc). The newer panels such as the 5200, 5150, 500, etc do not require it. They use the driver built into Windows. Check your panel on the system settings setup page and see what your USB IP address is. It is probably 12.0.0.2 or something like that. You will need to go into your network connections in Windows and verify that your IP address is set to 12.0.0.1 and your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Sometimes windows will default the subnet mask to 255.0.0.0.

Okay . . . kinda makes sense. But if in theory, no USBLAN is needed - WHERE exactly do we need to change the "Windows" IP?

[RANT]Forget that though, I'm a bit ticked right now that I may have to transfer through WiFi and hope to god it doesn't freak. If I have to stay connected to the panel for 15-20 minutes as the newest firmware mentions . . . I can't download my code & continue testing for an hour since I have to update three of these. I've also got Windows 7 and of course it won't connect. The thing that gets me is if I call TS, I'm sure they'll say Win7 is not officially supported, and instead an OS that's 5 years old is. Can we get with the times please? Do I have to wait another 5 years before Win7 is supported?

What a way to waste my time since the 5200 goes into deep sleep and poof - goes offline, and cannot get back online. (FW upgrade desperately needed.) My time is limited, and this is potentially going to burn an hour? Not to mention possibly brick the 5200 in case wireless hiccups. Nice. Very nice.[/RANT]
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    For what it's worth, I never use USB for panel files or for firmware, unless it's an R4 and I must. I've never had a problem via wireless ... though I have lost connection once or twice with large panel files, and the worst that has happened was some funny-looking panels until I re-loaded them. Mind you, I won't attempt a firmware upgrade on a flaky connection, but if it's reasonably solid, you should be OK.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Trust me, if I had an hour available (assuming it needs to stay connected for the full 15-20 minutes x 3 panels), I'd connect through the master and twiddle my thumbs. However being able to connect virtually through USB is nice because I could sit and update panels and load up code / rebooting without it affecting it.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote:
    For what it's worth, I never use USB for panel files or for firmware, unless it's an R4 and I must. I've never had a problem via wireless
    Ditto.

jjames wrote:
    Trust me, if I had an hour available (assuming it needs to stay connected for the full 15-20 minutes x 3 panels),
    Now I just had to do this recently but of course I don't remember how long the firware transfer actually took but I usually wipe all the user pages first to make sure I have enough memory available for the new frirmware. Resending the entire TP file from scratch is what kills me and 15-20 minutes for that is no joke and I had to do 5 when I did the last battery exchange. 3 hours round trip and probably 4 hours onsite dealing with this BS made for an full day of non billable labor.
  • AMX usb lan on windows 7

hi i had that problem once, i couldn't upload a design to a panel through usb the problem is when you install the amx usb lan driver, by default windows 7 block the driver because is not signed, so you just should to disable the driver signature of windows 7, there are many ways to do that just google it

have a nice day!!