Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

VNC Viewer quit working after panel firmware upgrade

Hey guys,

I've been using VNC Viewer just fine for a long time, but yesterday I upgraded my 700VI panels to the new 2.86.24 version and the VNC Viewer will no longer work. If I use the web control through the master, it takes a LONG time to pop up (almost a minute). My 5200i panels on the same system still work just fine as always.

Anyone know of what in the new 700VI firmware would do this?

Thanks,

Chuck

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Just curious - were you using a different port number other than the default (5900)? Are you able to get to the panels and check all of the settings? Perhaps with the upgrade they lost their IP settings and are now DHCP, and maybe the port forwarding is not correct (if you had it set up that way.) Or maybe it's no longer enabled?

Just curious - did you upgrade them remotely or while you were on site?
  • Options
    chuckdchuckd Posts: 26
    It was all done on site, so there's no Gateway involved. The IP's are static, and haven't changed. VNC Viewer simply times out, while using the Web Control via the Master takes 'forever' to come up (but it finally does after something like a minute). The 5200i's on the same system work fine as always.

I'm using the free VNC Viewer, and it doesn't have a configuration for timeout (that I can remember, anyway).

I guess I'm trying to see if this is unique to my installation, or a general problem with the 700Vi's new firmware.
  • Options
    chuckdchuckd Posts: 26
    Well, figured it out. For some unknown reason, the panels all had G4 Web passwords enabled! I didn't do it, and I sure didn't think the firmware upgrade did it. So I simply removed the passwords, and all is good now.

Very odd.

Chuck
  • Options
    alexsquaredalexsquared Posts: 166
    Glad to know it's an easy fix. I'm having the same issue with the one panel I upgraded. What's odd, is that I did have G4 passwords enabled to begin with, but that password no longer works. Interesting...
  • Options
    alexsquared:
    When you say the password no longer works, can you elaborate? Do you mean you had a password in there before, and now it uses the default password, or no password at all. Are you able to assign a new password?

chuckd & alexsquared:
    1) What version did you upgrade from?
    2) Did you happen to cycle through the new "Security" button in the Protected Setup pages? Did you have to go back into the G4 Web Control pages on the panel and re-enable Web control button?
  • Options
    alexsquaredalexsquared Posts: 166
    amxcjc wrote: »
    alexsquared:
    When you say the password no longer works, can you elaborate? Do you mean you had a password in there before, and now it uses the default password, or no password at all. Are you able to assign a new password?

chuckd & alexsquared:
    2) Did you happen to cycle through the new "Security" button in the Protected Setup pages? Did you have to go back into the G4 Web Control pages on the panel and re-enable Web control button?

Do not recall what version is was previously on. I just went, disabled G4, re-enabled, and rebooted the unit, and all seems to work now. Additionally, however, it seems as though the firmware upgrade changed the IP setting from Static to DHCP.
  • Options
    I had a similar issue with my 8400i. After loading the firmware, I had a password on the web control. It was not there prior to the firmware upgrade. After removing it and rebooting I still could not connect using RealVNC or by going through the master with IE8. It was like this for several days.

Yesterday I connected using TPD4 and downloaded a different panel file to it. Now it is working fine.
  • Options
    Danny,

2) Did you happen to cycle through the new "Security" button in the Protected Setup pages?
    3) Did you have to go back into the G4 Web Control pages on the panel and re-enable Web control button?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    Danny,

2) Did you happen to cycle through the new "Security" button in the Protected Setup pages?
    3) Did you have to go back into the G4 Web Control pages on the panel and re-enable Web control button?

Thanks,
    Chris

1. The previous version was 2.85.14
    2. Naturally - I played with everything
    3. Yes.

Last night it worked fairly well. I would sometimes get a message that said the connection was reset by peer, but then when I retried it would work. Nothing has changed and the panel is still online, but today I get an error connecting with RealVNC (10061).

I went into the setup page to see that it was online, then went into panel info to look at the current version, then back out. Now I can connect again with an occasional reset by peer message.
  • Options
    The new security buttons has 3 modes (2 secure type mode, 1 standard mode). If you change to one of the secure modes telnet will be replaced by ssh, the default password for everything will go from "1988" to "Amx1234!", and webcontrol will be disabled. Going back to the standard mode will set all the passwords back to 1988. Note some settings will require a reboot to take effect.

So it's possible if you upgraded, then played with the security button (eventually going back to standard mode) - you would have to go back and manually turn on web control and clear out the default 1988 webcontrol password.
  • Options
    The new security buttons has 3 modes (2 secure type mode, 1 standard mode). If you change to one of the secure modes telnet will be replaced by ssh, the default password for everything will go from "1988" to "Amx1234!", and webcontrol will be disabled. Going back to the standard mode will set all the passwords back to 1988. Note some settings will require a reboot to take effect.

So it's possible if you upgraded, then played with the security button (eventually going back to standard mode) - you would have to go back and manually turn on web control and clear out the default 1988 webcontrol password.

That sounds like what happened. Now the only change I've noticed is that it generally takes 3 tries to get connected. First I get the connection reset, then I get connection refused, then I get in.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    amccjc wrote:
    the default password for everything will go from "1988" to "Amx1234!", and webcontrol will be disabled. Going back to the standard mode will set all the passwords back to 1988. Note some settings will require a reboot to take effect.
    Isn't that an accident waiting to happen? I know I've pressed that button out of curiosity but I haven't had the chance or inclination to attemp a VNC connection so I haven't experienced that probelm yet but there's a lot of folks that are going to experience this problem and won't have a clue as to want the f' happend and then the TS lines will be cluttered with problems or your own creation. Another reason I can't have TS that has nothing to do with my own ignorance or negligence.
  • Options
    Yes we are looking into it. Thank you for your feedback.
  • Options
    vining wrote: »
    amccjc wrote:

Isn't that an accident waiting to happen? I know I've pressed that button out of curiosity but I haven't had the chance or inclination to attemp a VNC connection so I haven't experienced that probelm yet but there's a lot of folks that are going to experience this problem and won't have a clue as to want the f' happend and then the TS lines will be cluttered with problems or your own creation. Another reason I can't have TS that has nothing to do with my own ignorance or negligence.

Yes, in hindsight this is a real problem for us. We should have popped up a warning dialog that specifically notes what is changing and forces an acknowledgment from the user. We tested the heck out of this but never stopped to consider what if someone accidentally presses the button or just presses it to see what would happen. It does look like any other toggle button on the panel but obviously it isn't. We will look at what we can do to make this more accident-proof.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    rgelling wrote:
    Yes, in hindsight this is a real problem for us.
    At least your here on the forums discussing it. In the past most of us wouldn't have gotten the word until several members posted their problem and that's usually after they've spent hours & hours trying to figure out what "they" did wrong, then they make the post, get a bunch of suggestions, spend a few more hours trying those and then on the following day they call TS to learn they've been aware of this issue for a while but only shared that knowledge with those who call. Unfortunately not all callers like to post their findings and spare others the same grief.

This is a much shorter and more efficient process which is very much appreciated and far less people have to suffer this way.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I think what vining is trying to say is, "Thank you very much for coming on here to discuss this. It is much appreciated!"
  • Options
    You're welcome.
  • Options
    ColinColin Posts: 51
    Remote G4 Password resetting

Sorry to somewhat hijack the thread but is it possible to remotely reset the G4 Password via Telnet or Send_Command?