Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

AMX Home

I'm not really into packaged solutions, but am considering this for a project if it truly can cut programming time. However, I will have to support a few devices that aren't in the list and will want to add some functionality around some whole-house functions. I know their disclaimers warns against modification, but not sure if that is just a generic warning to keep the "unqualified" from tinkering with the code.

Any thoughts, experiences, etc.?

Thanks

Comments

• Personally, i think that they did a great job, but I am hesitant to use it. The couple of jobs that I have had to work on that has it installed, its hard to navigate, its really bloated ( the processor on one takes almost 5 minutes to reboot after a code load ), and as far as I can see it requires that your design be done in such a way. With that said, they did make a nice interface, that most clients can navigate easily, and it does take a lot of the work out, it does what it does well, just don't try and do anything else with it

I think that i can write code faster and easier, which is more user friendly than this out the box solution.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    thanks...can you buy the bundle and dump the configuration and do your own programming. I'd like to keep the TP graphics, but do my own programming.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    sonny wrote: »
    I will have to support a few devices that aren't in the list and will want to add some functionality around some whole-house functions.

If these are true don't use amxhome. amxhome is built to work a certain way, and trying to bend it to do something different/more is not a pleasant experience.

I definitely agree with the bloat, but that is what you get when you write a system that will handle a lot of different devices. The touchpanel alone is enough to scare anyone away. Again, having pages for a large number of different devices makes for a big tp file.

I've never enjoyed hacking someone else's code, but modifying an amxhome system is downright painful.
  • sonny wrote: »
    thanks...can you buy the bundle and dump the configuration and do your own programming. I'd like to keep the TP graphics, but do my own programming.

I downloaded the panel files (800*600 & 800*480) from the web site.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I will also agree with the statements regarding modifying AMXHome. If AMXHome doesn't list the device, don't plan on easily adding it. I tried it out and it seems like a decent option, as long as you stick to supported devices.

Jeff
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    We purchased a license, and I ran a demo system, and I was not impressed. Bloat doesn't even begin to describe the gobblygook that it produces. I wound up downloading all the panel designs and writing my own code. It's like creating a web page with Powerpoint ... you can do it, and if you know your way around the program well enough, you can make some very slick looking pages. But don't even begin to look for efficient or compact. And, I might add, if you don't know your way around the program, it's nearly impossible to get it to do exactly what you want. My boss was convinced it was worth learning, and I just put my foot down. I just had nightmares of struggling with one piddly little feature a customer might want, and having no idea how to fit it into one of the scores of include files and modules it produces. I might write some gobblygook code on my own, but at least it's my code, and I have a fair idea what is going on. I just can't see myself taking weeks to learn someone else's code well enough to modify it at will, when in the same weeks I can (and did) write my own modules to do the same job.

I'm sure it's fine if you crank out boilerplate jobs with stock equipment. All the same, it offends my every programmer's instinct of how code ought to be written.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Same experience for us. Every single time its discussed the subject comes up. "We can use it expept for that one thing...." It's the 'one thing' that ends up blwoing it up to the point that we'd wished we'd just did it ourselves.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I had a look at AMX Home. Uploading it to the master makes the master about a pound heavier. Avoid.
  • jdohmanjdohman Posts: 2
    All this hate on the AMXhome. I acutally like the feel of the amx home gui and the way it operates. I have a simple 8 zone system running with audio and video running to each room and it was VERY easy to set the system up. There were a few components there were not listed that I had to manually add in but it was very simple to do so.

For small resi jobs this is a great package.
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    I'm well chuffed for you Mr two Post man. AMX Home is a shocker avoid at at all costs. And while we're at this it might be better to learn some programming. Might help in this environment
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jdohman wrote: »
    All this hate on the AMXhome. I acutally like the feel of the amx home gui and the way it operates. I have a simple 8 zone system running with audio and video running to each room and it was VERY easy to set the system up. There were a few components there were not listed that I had to manually add in but it was very simple to do so.

For small resi jobs this is a great package.

Welcome to the forums! Have fun!
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Apologies

Eric's welcome was rather better than mine and also more typical of the conversation and tone on the forum. I'll blame my lack of manners on my lack of manners....and a day of wrestling with kit that costs more than my car and does less than my mouse mat.

So welcome from me as well.