Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Netlinx Studio (Not Responding) on FW Upgrade

I have this issue with the current NS that it looks up on firmware upgrades. (device 10001) does this both on firmware through a physical master and through a virtual master (so over IP AND over USB)

System is running windows xp 32-bits (to avoid possible compatibility issues). Trying to upgrade a 5200i to the latest firmware.

It does this every time and I can't upgrade the 5200i because of it.Very annoying, haven't tried it with other devices yet. But I expect the same behavior.

Comments

• Does it lock, or only "takes forever"?
    I have learned to give it anything between 5 to 10 minutes before the transfer actually starts. And before it starts, it indeed looks like it has given in.
  • I had a similar issue recently, I could send firmware to the master, to a MVP-8400i, but not a 5200i. I tried IP, USB, crossing my fingers, restarting the machine, everything. Finally gave up and I will basically pray that I don't need to update the firmware on that job until I have worked out what the problem is. I posted a note on here, I though that it was something to do with my use of a MAC with VMWare Fusion, but I guess not...

I have a 5200 at my house that I have been playing with, but to be honest I have gotten a little side tracked as of late. If anyone has any ideas, I would gladly try them...
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Does it lock, or only "takes forever"?
    I have learned to give it anything between 5 to 10 minutes before the transfer actually starts. And before it starts, it indeed looks like it has given in.

I've seen that too. I get it started, then go do something else and come back to it.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Does it lock, or only "takes forever"?

Both, I starting waiting longer because of your message, and it starts after 20 minutes -.-'. Jebus. I'll have to boot up another netlinx studio every time I need to upgrade the firmware so I can continue work and upgrade the firmware.

Anyhow it's upgrading right now. So I'm already glad it's working. (even though it starts after 20 minutes)

Edit: Crap didn't work after all. It did the firmware upgrade the way it was supposed to, but it didn't actually upgrade it :S. So I'm still on the same old firmware. 2.66.17

*Goes Hulk on it*

Trying to go by the manual, but I got a 'firmware upgrade failed' during reboot.
  • Nerieru wrote: »
    Edit: Crap didn't work after all. It did the firmware upgrade the way it was supposed to, but it didn't actually upgrade it :S. So I'm still on the same old firmware. 2.66.17

I have seen this too and I thought I must have lacked enough patience... Are you picking the older version in the NS? Is this also showing in the Panel Setup (Panel Info)? Did you alow for the second reboot?

However, in my case, a second update on top of this brought everything to normal.
    I have seen this too and I thought I must have lacked enough patience... Are you picking the older version in the NS? Is this also showing in the Panel Setup (Panel Info)? Did you alow for the second reboot?

However, in my case, a second update on top of this brought everything to normal.

Not in NS, in panel info. First time no, second time yes. This will be the turd time. Now I'm gonna wait an hour and cross my fingers and continue on something else. If all hope is lost I'll contact tech support.

Edit: Fixed it, by waiting even longer than the manual specified. Took 20 minutes to start the upgrade and 10 minutes to do the upgrade and another 20 minutes to finish it. so 50 minutes for a firmware upgrade. I can't help but hope it's something with this panel, because I've got 20+ of these to do a few weeks from now. (because of the battery issues).
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    That does seem excessive. Are you sure your network connection is healthy? A lot of dropped packets could be the cause.
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    That does seem excessive. Are you sure your network connection is healthy? A lot of dropped packets could be the cause.

NXA-ENET24, AMX Wap, NI-3100, Mvp5200i. Should be healthy, and don't have any issues whatsoever with anything else. I could analyze it, but I think it would be a waste of time. It's only this specific panel I have trouble with, as I just tried an R4 and don't have any issues with that one. (USB connection, strangely enough the 5200 identifies as 'RDIS Ethernet Gadget' when I hook it up on the USB)
  • The upgrade of the 5200i takes a while but can be significantly longer with spotty wireless coverage. What does your wireless signal strength show on the panel's wireless setup page?
    The upgrade of the 5200i takes a while but can be significantly longer with spotty wireless coverage. What does your wireless signal strength show on the panel's wireless setup page?

Full strength, it's the only wireless network as it's set up at work. (Excellent)

Never had issues with the connection. On pinging the panel I get 2.5 ~ 3.0 ms, with drops in the 5~6 ms area. Pinging the master takes around 1~2 with drops to 3-4 ms. So all that's on the network is 1 master, 1 panel, my laptop, 1 AMX WAP and 1 AMX 24 Ports Switch.