Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

IR through NI-700 (desperate)

so my basic problem is this:

i have a small pool house that started out only having 1 or 2 IR sources and since i have installed the ni-700, it has grown to 5 IR sources. I was hoping I could just get a powered block to handle the multiple IR considering none of them are common brands or models but when i load anymore than 2 IRL files into the ni700 it will not output IR. I see the "input" and "output" lights responding properly but i get no activity light on my "IR" light, nor control on source. if i load only two IRL files, all is well. (i think :-/)

My question is: is there a way to get the NI700 to control 5 IR components at all?

maybe im behind on firmware? ( by the way, couldnt get that done either)

or is the way it is and I have to get my client a axb-irs.. I already had to add an axb-rel8 so if i have to add anything else, i might as well just have bought a ni-2100..

just trying to save money here. and my a$$

many thanks

Comments

• Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    adcantrell wrote: »
    so my basic problem is this:

i have a small pool house that started out only having 1 or 2 IR sources and since i have installed the ni-700, it has grown to 5 IR sources. I was hoping I could just get a powered block to handle the multiple IR considering none of them are common brands or models but when i load anymore than 2 IRL files into the ni700 it will not output IR. I see the "input" and "output" lights responding properly but i get no activity light on my "IR" light, nor control on source. if i load only two IRL files, all is well. (i think :-/)

My question is: is there a way to get the NI700 to control 5 IR components at all?
    1 IR port = 1 and only 1 .irl file.

Assuming you have the hardware to fan that one output to all your sources, what you can do is create 1 .irl file that has the IR codes for all of your sources. For example, IR codes 1-50 can be used for source 1, IR codes 51-100 for source 2, etc..

HTH
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    You can do what Joe suggested or you can always get an IRS-4, but that'd cost money. :D
  • Joe Hebert wrote: »
    1 IR port = 1 and only 1 .irl file.

Assuming you have the hardware to fan that one output to all your sources, what you can do is create 1 .irl file that has the IR codes for all of your sources. For example, IR codes 1-50 can be used for source 1, IR codes 51-100 for source 2, etc..

HTH

awesome! thats why i asked, i never thought about that. thanks!
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    You?re welcome.

I don?t know what the hardware costs for your output distribution but I would check out the AXB-IRS4 as jjames suggested. It hangs off the Axlink bus which the NI-700 supports. If the cost difference is a wash or close to a wash I?d go with the AMX solution. It will give you a total of 5 IR ports that can all be controlled individually.

Either way have fun.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    There are generally Axcent3's available on eBay for less than a hundred bucks US as well, which will also get you RS-232, relay, and IO expansion. Just put it in slave mode.
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Yes, and if you get an Axcent 3, you can save on the cost of the relays as well.
  • so i tried copying all of the codes into a user IR file but everytime i try to transfer it to the master it crashes my NS. also if i try to view the code number in the new IR window of NS it crashes. anyone have any ideas?
  • ok sorry, i saved it under a new name and it seems to be working.