Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Compatibility: Windows 7, 64 bit, etc.

I know various combinations of this scenario have been talked about here before, but I'm wondering if anyone has recent experience.

We're looking to upgrade our laptops to 64-bit machines (i7 quad core) running Windows 7 64 bit. Will Studio and TP4 run nicely under "XP mode"? Is "XP mode" even necessary? Any issues you know of?

Thanks in advance for any anecdotes.

Comments

• matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    I've been running Windows 7 64-bit on my laptop now for about a month, and so has one of my coworkers. So far, the only app that I've had to install in XP Mode is IREdit. Studio and TPD4 have been working just fine. Overall, I've been very pleased with everything so far. Good luck!
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Just in case you ever need to use it, OLDesign does not work at all with Win7 x64. I know it's an old program, but we actually just ran into a situation where I needed to use it.
  • sijonessijones Posts: 16
    jjames wrote: »
    Just in case you ever need to use it, OLDesign does not work at all with Win7 x64. I know it's an old program, but we actually just ran into a situation where I needed to use it.

Tpdesign3 appears to work OK on my Windows 7 64bit machine. When does it fail?

Kind regards,

Steve
    sijones wrote: »
    Tpdesign3 appears to work OK on my Windows 7 64bit machine. When does it fail?
    I don't have TPD3 installed on my machine; I'm referring to this application.

OLDesign doesn't even open - I get the attached message.
  • sijonessijones Posts: 16
    Ah OK. I was some how thinking that you were referring to TPDesign3 as I read it "OLD Design". I think I've been drinking far too many Bud's this evening. Please excuse me.

It appears that you can't even download it anymore from the link you referenced. I guess you've tried running it in XP or even Win 95/98 compatibility mode?

Kind regards,

Steve
    You can still download it. When you're in the Application Files area, go to the Archive link (in that paragraph below the big words "Application Files"), then go to Development Tools, and it'll be in that list. Lots of oldies in there.

Anyway, yes - I've tried running under all of the options. One thing I did not do, was install it under those options - I'm curious if that'll make a difference.
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    Virtual PC running Windows XP is your saviour.
    A free download from MS.
    Note: You need Win7 Professional or Ultimate.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    But you can use VirtualBox (open source available, free) or VMWare Server (free) regardless of Windows version. (Surely you have a spare XP license sitting around?)
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    true wrote: »
    But you can use VirtualBox (open source available, free) or VMWare Server (free) regardless of Windows version. (Surely you have a spare XP license sitting around?)

Even better, thanks for those. I shall play.
  • colinhastedcolinhasted Posts: 44
    Fonts

Hi there,
    In the same vein as above. I am running TP4 on a Windows 7 64bit machine. It appears that everytime I download a panel file or open an old panel file it says unable to install fonts and instead uses the default font. I've had to resort to loading the file on an XP machine and copying the font over to the 7 machine for it to work.

Any ideas?

Colin
  • bwestlakebwestlake Posts: 82
    Fonts

Every time I get a new laptop I copy the font folder from my old computer and then use these fonts to install the ones that are missing. I really wish that TPD4 would give a list of all of the missing fonts instead of "try - fail - install - repeat"
  • matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    bwestlake wrote: »
    Every time I get a new laptop I copy the font folder from my old computer and then use these fonts to install the ones that are missing. I really wish that TPD4 would give a list of all of the missing fonts instead of "try - fail - install - repeat"

I would like to 2nd this idea. It would be tremendously helpful!
  • John GonzalesJohn Gonzales Posts: 609
    If you generate a programmer's report (Panel -> Generate programmer's report) in TPD it lists the fonts in use on the panel. Makes it a little easier to figure out which fonts to copy over or package with the TP file if you're sending it to someone.

--John
  • deadkendeadken Posts: 10
    My problems with Netlinx Studio and Windows 7 64 bit mostly has to do with zips. It fails to properly create the zip for storing source on the about about 50% of the time. I have trouble backing up or exporting a workspace. I thought it worked in the past, but now fails 100% of the time.

I've taken to backing up the workspace with winrar instead.

I also have not gotten TPs to work with the USBLan stuff, but fortunately I could fight the TPs long enough to get a wifi connection to a master, and update the firmware that way.

No problems with TPD4 as far as I know.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    deadken wrote: »
    My problems with Netlinx Studio and Windows 7 64 bit mostly has to do with zips. It fails to properly create the zip for storing source on the about about 50% of the time. I have trouble backing up or exporting a workspace. I thought it worked in the past, but now fails 100% of the time.

I've taken to backing up the workspace with winrar instead.

I also have not gotten TPs to work with the USBLan stuff, but fortunately I could fight the TPs long enough to get a wifi connection to a master, and update the firmware that way.

No problems with TPD4 as far as I know.

I have had these issues before but we recently moved all the computers to windows 7 professional, and haven't had an issue connecting with USBLan since. (did install it in compatibility mode though, maybe you should try that as well?)

Exporting and importing workspaces works fine for me as well. Am running x64.

It could be other drivers that are messing with your amx drivers. For example pronto and amx drivers mess each other up sometimes.

At one point I had installed all software for

Amx, c-tron, vantage, lutron, rti, pronto, c4. A few IDE's as well. And my drivers were all messed up. I have been able to install all that now without any issues though.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Missing option

Missing in TPD4 when you leave XP for newer Windows is the little check box on the RESOURCE MANAGER file manager that lets you choose to overwrite duplicate filenames. This widget isn't legit in Vista or 7, so it is missing. And there is nowhere else in the system you can access it... per AMX support.

This means all your replacement bitmaps get named COPY OF [name] and don't replace the originals. And if you delete the originals and rename the COPY OF's, you find that they aren't assigned to the buttons anymore. You MUST use SEARCH AND REPLACE, but then you have to live with images with wacky names.

I keep an XP machine specifically for such things.