Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions
Options

TP transfer with TP Design vs. Netlinx Studio

If you open a TP file with TPD4 there is a (for lack of a better term) compiling process before the file is transferred.

When you transfer that same file with Netlinx Studio it appears to just blast away and transfer the TP file as is.

This leads me to believe that either:

A) The final file loaded into the TP is different when using either method.

Or

2) There is some sort of error checking that takes place when using TPD4 before the file is sent.

Or maybe something else but there sure seems to have to be some sort of difference.

Am I better off always transferring with TPD4 instead of Netlinx Studio?

If not, what?s all the extra work that TPD4 does that?s not getting done with Netlinx Studio?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CT-DallasCT-Dallas Posts: 157
    In TPD4, even though the panel resolution is the same, it seems to do a save-as new panel type prior to sending. It will also not let you send the file to an incompatable panel - like an 8400 file on a cv7. however, with studio, you can send to any panel type. It does not appear to go through the save as process.

You will see a difference in send times in TPD4 when you send a cv7 file to a cv7 vs a cv10 as it goes throught the conversion without really converting process.
  • Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    My guess is TPD4 locks the TP file when it is open. Before it transfers it creates a temporary version that isn't locked, and this is what gets sent. This is why you can close the TP file during a transfer in TPD4.

Since Studio can't transfer a file while it is open in TPD4, because it is locked, it is actually transferring the "real" TP file, not a temporary copy.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    That certainly explains things.
    Thanks for the insight.
  • Options
    I wonder why a simple file copy isn?t performed instead of the recreation of the file. We can?t send as a different panel type without doing a save as different panel type first so what?s the point?

Since TPD4 goes through its compiling process I would think it?s possible that a file transferred with TPD4 may not always be equal to the file that is transferred with Netlinx Studio.

I suppose it?s one of those things I shouldn?t be wasting my time thinking about.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    If you use TPD4 to do the transfer it will also pick up on outdated system graphics, NLS won't.
  • Options
    PhreaK wrote: »
    If you use TPD4 to do the transfer it will also pick up on outdated system graphics, NLS won't.
    Good point.