Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

AMX Chat

Just curious to hear from people on why there's never anyone in the AMX Chat room?

Comments

• truetrue Posts: 307
    Because nobody goes there.

For what it's worth, I idled there for a couple days and nobody showed...figured it was just a useless feature.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    bwhiteford wrote: »
    Just curious to hear from people on why there's never anyone in the AMX Chat room?

Over the years we've discussed/tried using it and even a few times on IRC. I think the issue is that there are not enough of us online for the long stretches needed to support keeping it afloat.

I kind of use this forum like a chat in that I leave it open on my browser all day long when I'm in the office and occasionally jump on and see what's up with the peeps.

I am on an IRC chat all day with a completely different group of people (musicians/studio people) that seems to have enough bodies to keep it going. Even there there will be long periods with noone saying anything.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Yeah, I pop on the forums in the morning while doing my morning coffee/e-mail routine, and generally don't have time to linger. During the day, I might check in if I need a breather, or waiting for a particularly slow load. Either way, I don't necessarily have time for a real-time exchange ... I want to be able to post when I can, respond at my leisure. I stay away from all kinds of real-time communications when working, except my cell phone, and even then I leave the headset on so I don't have to stop to take a call.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I actually enjoy real-time chat, though it can become TERRIBLY distracting at times. I, like Eric, pretty much keep my browser pointed to the forums all day, only occasionally closing it when I have a ton of work to do that I REALLY need to concentrate on. In fact, I'll use the "Who's Online" feature quite a bit just to see if any new posts are being created, etc.

When it was first implemented, there were a few guys that were in there quite often, and I'd "chat it up" with them for a while. What quite fun to talk about styles, ideas and just things in general. I keep several IM programs open all the time (mainly Yahoo - and you can get my SN from my profile), and chat with a few "important" people all day. I always like expanding my AMX contacts.

Anyway, point is - it used to be used in the beginning, now not so much. On RARE occasions, I'll linger in there for a while, but I think people have forgotten or don't care that it's there and don't bother to check if anyone is in there.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Haven't been there in years
  • There's a chat room?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    There's a chat room?

For the win! :D