Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

MVP-8400's freeze up when charging

Hello all!

Hope you had a great weekend. We've got 10 or 15 MVP-8400's here and for some reason, several of them frequently become unresponsive when the panel is charging. This is the case regardless of if they are plugged in directly to a power cord (using the port on the side) or sitting in a dock. We use wall and table top docks, all with the same result.

Essentially, the panel will be working perfectly fine, and as soon as it's connected to power, it simply stops reacting to touch input. As soon as it is unplugged, or removed from the dock, it immediately returns to responsiveness. I've reflashed the affected panels to the latest firmware, only with the same result.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,
Brooks

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Funny you should mention it. I just had the exact thing happen at a local designer show ... my salesman called me in a panic that the panel wouldn't work when docked. It was fine undocked, but as soon as he put it in the charging base, it became unresponsive. It was an older panel from an estate sale, and I just pulled the customer data off it before sending it out as a demo. I just told him to unplug it, since the battery life would exceed the length of the show. I'll have to fire this up on my bench now and look further.
    I can confirm this problem. It's an older panel without the wireless-G card, but the firmware is up-to-date (2.86.50). I can get page flips to happen once, maybe twice, when it is docked. Undock it, and it works fine. Same deal plugged in directly .. works on battery power, doesn't work when plugged into the supply.

I have other 8400's out there that are fine, including one that doesn't have wireless-G (so that isn't the determining factor). Reloading the firmware made no difference.

Looks like I'll be calling AMX on this.
    For what it's worth, AMX is having me send this in for repair. It just seems odd that two people should have the same failure so close together ... especially since I know for a fact this thing was working fine a month ago.
  • Bummer that they didn't give you any information on what the problem might be. I guess i'll be doing the same thing. Anyone else navigating the forums have a similar experience? Sadly, we've seen it on more than one of our panels.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote:
    vIt just seems odd that two people should have the same failure so close together ..
    There was a problem w/ a few models of Sharp TV a few years back and after about 2 years of use regardless of how much use it actually got the audio would crap out. It supposedly was cause but deteriorating insulation on a DAC or something but one of my customer had 2 TVs crap out with a couple weeks of each other and other info I found on the web indicated that many people had the same problems. So who knows maybe there will be more instances of this MVP problem to come, I hope not but one simple little componant manufactured or installed improperly can have delayed bad affects and those delayed malfunctions can occur like clockwork after a certain period of time has elapsed.
    It happened once that AMX got a batch of bad CF cards, and panels with them would fail to boot. It's probably something like that. A bad component batch, so everything manufactured about the same time will fail the same away in about the same time period. But TS claimed not to have seen this particular problem before.
  • I have heard of docking issues before but almost all revolve revolve around panel not charging (alignment issue) or it wont' boot past splash screen (same panel not charging issue - in this case panels batteries don't have enough juice to boot the unit and it shows splash screen and then shuts down again). The issue you describe is new. I will say that when the panel is placed in the docking station it takes a couple seconds before we apply power. This allows the pins to settle down so we don't apply power while user is still fiddling with getting the panel in the cradle. So if it is locking up just a few seconds after docking it may be related to applying power to the panel but this should be easily reproduced with a wall power supply. Is is always a few seconds after docking? Never a minute or two after? Since I don't hear this issue from anywhere and we have sites with hundreds of these installed in docking stations I would tend to agree that it may be a component issue or some other power issue. But I would hedge my bets until I find out how long after it is docked that it reliably locks up.
  • You are correct, it is always a few seconds after docking. This is the case in wall docks and atop table top docks. As Dhawthorne said, you can get a few quick page flips in (while as you say, we're waiting for things to settle), then it locks up. I'm anxious to hear what you think!

Thanks again.
    You should have mine in shop to play with any day now; shipped it out yesterday.
  • mktimemktime Posts: 6
    Hi,

I'm from France and i have the same problem with 2 MVP8400 with firmware 2.86.50 one panel is wall mount dock and one table top.
    The i can't access to the touch screen interface when panel is docked.
    These panels works with older network interface card
    NXA-WC80211GCF

I've downgraded to version 2.85.14 and the problem is still here. This was my last version where it worked.
    I had some wireless problems so i decided to load new version but i should not do that!

Now i tried to change the compact flash and charge it with an older image i had of the installation and the problem is still here.

Somebody solve the problem ??

Thanks

Mickael
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    bwhiteford wrote: »
    Hope you had a great weekend. We've got 10 or 15 MVP-8400's here and for some reason, several of them frequently become unresponsive when the panel is charging.

I've had this before. I sent it in. I beleive that I was told that there was a resistor value that was changed.
  • Duncan EllisDuncan Ellis Posts: 154
    Docking station issue

I had this problem on table & wall docks. If the docks are reasonably old, there is a firmware upgrade for the docks that fix the issue. I seem to remember that you have to request the firmware from tech support, its not freely available
    I had this problem on table & wall docks. If the docks are reasonably old, there is a firmware upgrade for the docks that fix the issue. I seem to remember that you have to request the firmware from tech support, its not freely available

It may be that is a problem that causes the same symptoms, but the bad panel I had was repaired by AMX and works fine now in the same old dock with the same old firmware.
  • Mr. Gelling from Engineering, do you have any insights for us?
  • Duncan EllisDuncan Ellis Posts: 154
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    It may be that is a problem that causes the same symptoms, but the bad panel I had was repaired by AMX and works fine now in the same old dock with the same old firmware.

Just to add, another known issue is that if you put a charging supply onto an 8400 whilst it is booting, it loses calibration...not every time but randomly.... I was advised to send one back for repair, in the UK, and one of the faults on it was the fact that it lost calibration when put on charge whilst booting - it was noted on the repair sheet that it was a known issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D.
  • ClingpeachClingpeach Posts: 156
    So many times it happened to me. Thank goodness for VNC through Iphone or Laptop
  • bwhiteford wrote: »
    Mr. Gelling from Engineering, do you have any insights for us?

I do not have any further insight on this. I have not been given a panel that anyone sent in with this problem so still cannot say what may be causing it.

With regard to losing calibration if power is applied to the panel during boot, this is not a known issue. The known issue is that we occasionally will lose calibration. But this was a bug in previous firmware that was resolved in the 2.86.x version. Applying power should not make a difference.
  • Seem problem here. I discovered that while pushing a touch button it holds that button.
    For ex. If you hit in protected setup a button for the password the buttons stays on and the number is filling the text box. After a little while the text box begans to clear it's self.
    Strange thing is that hardware buttons don't have this problem.
    The firmaware version of this mvp-8400 panel is 2.86.50
    AMX any suggestions?

Thanks

Update: I downgrade to version 2.85.14 no luck. After that i downgrade to version 2.62.1. That did the job. The panel is now working perfect with or without power supply.
    Looks like a real bug to me.