Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

R4 error message

Whenever I load the new R4 remotes it gets to the end and I get an error. It does not load the last 4 or 5 items. The error reads Tranfer Aborted - Error opening file on master. Requested file does not exist or is invalid.

What does this mean or what do I need to do to upload all the files?

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I've seen this, but not since I have abandoned trying to do a smart load, and clearing all pages before a load. Takes only a little longer, but it always works.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I've also seen this error message on new R4s. Seems like clearing all user pages is a must before loading for the first time.
  • Colzie wrote: »
    I've also seen this error message on new R4s. Seems like clearing all user pages is a must before loading for the first time.

This. Sometimes there is a problem with the file system being dirty, and a smart transfer will fail. Clearing the user pages with the latest firmware will also clean up the file system.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    rhargrave wrote: »
    This. Sometimes there is a problem with the file system being dirty, and a smart transfer will fail. Clearing the user pages with the latest firmware will also clean up the file system.

Will this be fixed any time soon? Its my understanding that its also happening on MVP5200i as well. I am currently upgrading a project with numerous R4s that have intense graphics, and having to clear all pagesand then do a full transfer is a huge time sink. My guess is that it can't be fixed in firmware and that a modification to TPD is required, which will likely take many months. Am I correct?
    Paul
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Note that the more bitmaps in an R4, the slower each is painted by the R4 in actual use. The lookup takes much longer the larger the pool to be searched.

We found the R4 to be too slow to be acceptable in painting buttons with our standard button and channel icon set (which included over 1000 bitmaps). We reduced it to about 500 in total and got a really large performance boost. We tried again with about 300 and couldn't see enough more improvement to merit the work to do further reduction in bitmaps.

Note also that the "smart transfer" also takes a while to figure out what to transfer, so even if it worked reliably, the time savings would be trivial. And since a "smart transfer" usually fails (and the larger the transfer, the more likely to fail), the clean start transfer is MUCH faster...
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I generally clear the user pages on a new R4. The first load takes forever, but after that, smart loads work fine. It's just the very first time it fails.