Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions VisualArchitect

Is VA dead?

What's the status of VA? Is it still given reosurces for developement, has it been abandoned or maybe just put on hold until they figure out what markets they're going to pursue? Seems to me they're driving away all the dealers they brought in that were intended to use and benefit from the "no programming required" solution that VA offered so what's the deal? Is it still a sponge sucking up the depleted resources or is it for all practical purposes a fad whose time has past?

Comments

• VisualArchitect is Alive and Well

We certainly don't know how you got that idea but it is far from reality. VA is on a regular development cycle with frequent releases with the latest version in September '09 that included infoComm product releases, new 3rd party modules, and maintenance. Look for a new version soon with updated templates, SDL's, and product support for AMX and our partners.
    Thanks for your interest!
    Doug Hall
    AMX Product Management
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    That's good to know, its just been awfully quite here lately.

But aren't you guys kind of driving would be users away with the Bullseye program. Larger companies can afford staff programmers so it's more likely the small guys that would need VA but they won't likely be able or willing to pay to play. This wasn't an issue before the Bullseye program was rolled out but the sense around here is alot of the new small dealers will be departing for greener pastures and I think alot of the larger dealer that aren't really affected by Bullseye are just getting frustrated by what they've seen going on lately.

Just doesn't seem like the two go together.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Does anyone actually use VA?

The better question is: Did anyone ever use Design Xpress? I guess if at first you don't succeed, try again with a different look, eh? :D

Okay, okay . . . seriously though - I have to agree with Dan here: VA seems to be aimed at the smaller dealer who doesn't have a programmer (or a programmer with very limited skills), however with the Bullseye program, having knowledgeable staff seems to be emphasized; and with a programmer who can actually program (somewhat) - VA would seem to be an unnecessary tool. There are a few things I like about VA: the reports generated, and the ability to layout jobs visually. If there was a program that did just that, and was not bloated with code & panel generation - I'd probably use it.

I do look forward to each new release of VA in hopes that it could be a tool that I'd use, so I can't wait for a new version.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    jjames wrote: »
    VA seems to be aimed at the smaller dealer who doesn't have a programmer (or a programmer with very limited skills), however with the Bullseye program, having knowledgeable staff seems to be emphasized; and with a programmer who can actually program (somewhat) - VA would seem to be an unnecessary tool.
    This is an interesting observation. To answer the OP's question: probably. I tried VA when it first came out and the code it produced was so ugly I concluded there was no advantage over rolling out my own. I have not tried it since.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    mpullin wrote: »
    This is an interesting observation. To answer the OP's question: probably. I tried VA when it first came out and the code it produced was so ugly I concluded there was no advantage over rolling out my own. I have not tried it since.

I can see it being a userful tool for a new hire while they learn to program their own projects, or for smaller jobs that don't require a lot of customization (don't get many of those though, since customization is one of AMX's strengths).
    Paul
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    I can see it being a userful tool for a new hire while they learn to program their own projects, or for smaller jobs that don't require a lot of customization (don't get many of those though, since customization is one of AMX's strengths).
    Paul

Like "mpullin," I gave up on it pretty early in the game, and for the same reason. But, having toyed with it a bit, I'm not at all convinced a new hire or anyone not conversant with AMX programming could make a real go at using it. The learning curve is still pretty steep, and there are lots of quirks to it that a novice would likely have trouble getting around. AMX.home is very similar, and I laughed to myself when my boss told me that the local sales rep told him that the most successful users of it were experienced programmers ... which kind of defeats the point, doesn't it?
  • informelinformel Posts: 66
    VA is for optimistic

I'm optimistic by nature, I have not taken programming class yet so I want VA to be successfull.

I tried every version that came out and with every version I can go further; but there is always somthing missing.

So you are right when you say that it would be a steep curve for somebody that did not took the programming course, so VA as to enable us to do a project from A to Z or peoples will not use it.

Newbee will not be able to modify the code to complete the project and experience people will simply use the code they have created from other projects (it is faster since you have created the code and you do not have to decypher self generated code)
    new version (1.4.3) coming out

So we know it is not dead.
    new features, new devices.
    let see this time how close we are to use this package to complete a project
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    Well kinda the same problem happened to me.

I tried VA when it came out, it's not hard to work with (as intended) but whenever I wanted to recheck the actual code to see why something wasn't working the way I wanted, I would end up spending more time understanding the code logic and find what I wanted, then I would have if I had developed the code by myself.

So I'd think that VA is indeed targeted to either small jobs with less customization or newbies on AMX (while I think that newbies would still have a hard time like DHawthorne was saying)
  • It is finally out
    informel wrote: »
    So we know it is not dead.
    new features, new devices.
    let see this time how close we are to use this package to complete a project

Wow, they announce it a while back and it is finally out.

More stuff into it, but I am affraid, we will have the same issue, newbie can use it for small project; but will not be able to customize the code and experience programmers will find it time comsuming underdtanding self generated code.

I will have a look, Who knows.
  • Windows 7 guys, Hellooooo

Installing the new version on XP, the document says XP and Vista.
    Vista is brain damage, so the only solution is to use an outdated OS.
  • VA and XP

VA is not dead since they released a new version.

Microsoft wanted to stop support for XP a while back, but could not because Vista was never really adopted by large corporation. But large corporation are now deploying Win7, so it is safe to say that Microsoft will drop support and later will stop producing security update on this XP.
  • VA and Win7 I was wrong

Mea Culpa!

I just looked at the documentation and they say that it is compatible with Win7.
  • Wrong readme in application install

I'm sorry but the wrong readme made it into the installer, please see the AMX Tech Center for correct application notes. We will correct this soon, again, very sorry for the confusion.
    VisualArchitect version 1.4.3 works with Windows 7 and XP.
    http://amx.com/techcenter/applications.asp?Category=Development Tools
    Doug Hall
    AMX Product Management
  • Up, how is the development going?

I see a lot of potential in the app, but no news about major updates or new version.
  • Avargas wrote: »
    Up, how is the development going?

I see a lot of potential in the app, but no news about major updates or new version.

Yes lots of potential, but customizing is not really easy
  • VA Update

VisualArchitect is due for an update to include new products like the Enova 3150, DGX, and ModeroX touch panels.
    As much as we would like to have this app updated continually, sometimes we must focus on supporting development of other applications. We think that you will be pleasantly suprised to see what comes out at infoComm, stay tuned!
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Doug Hall wrote: »
    We think that you will be pleasantly suprised to see what comes out at infoComm, stay tuned!
    Tuned. I'll even be over for this one.
  • mace07mace07 Posts: 1
    Doug - How close are we to an update of VA to include the Enova line? I have an imminent project on which it could be very useful.
    VisualArchitect is due for an update to include new products like the Enova 3150, DGX, and ModeroX touch panels.
    As much as we would like to have this app updated continually, sometimes we must focus on supporting development of other applications. We think that you will be pleasantly suprised to see what comes out at infoComm, stay tuned!
  • haneyrhaneyr Posts: 15
    Still waiting

I visited the booth and the only surprise was on the AMX reps face when I asked about the future of VA and what was going to be the announcement. He said there were no updates going to happen and tried to interest me in their new attempt at cloud based programming RPM.

If they don't want to continue to support VA (which I understand most of the higher charging programmers hate) then let it die already.
    Is VA dead

I guess that due to lack of interest from programmers and newbies, the priority is not very high on this.
  • infoComm Announcement - RPM

I mentioned a few months ago that something new was coming at infoComm. Applications and technologies are in a constant state of evolution and AMX has taken lessons from VA and applied them to Rapid Project Maker (RPM) to create a cloud based version that will provide a quicker turnaround on features and fixes by updating a central server rather than individual PC's. This is now our focus as cloud based computing is the direction of choice for the above reasons. I hope that you will give it a try.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    FYI, if you go to YouTube and search for AMX RPM you'll find several videos that step through the process of using RPM.

But does this mean VA is dead and RPM is the reincarnation of VA?
  • haneyrhaneyr Posts: 15
    I see that the VA is still on the website as being available but it hasn't been updated in YEARS and I would guess is just taking up space waiting for the last nail to be put in. I had some high hopes of it becoming a valuable tool for working in the field but alas the good die young. I know the RPM is the way AMX wants to go, but for those of us working in secure environments that is a complete no go.