Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Axis M7001 as dynamic image

My company has recently migrated to the new Axis M7001 video encoder, and I am having some difficulty setting it up as a dynamic image on a touch panel. The settings I have used in the past for the 241S and 241Q don't work anymore. I opened a support ticket with Axis, and they told me the motion jpeg path is as follows:

http://<ip>/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi

This works in a browser, but not as a dynamic image; I'm assuming because the dynamic image setup tags a <user name>@ in front of the full path, but I'm guessing (not even really sure it does that, but it's how it shows up in the dynamic image tab).

I can get it to work if I use http://<ip>/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi, and set the refresh at one second. This is the still image path ... but I would like a bit better than 1 FPS.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    My company has recently migrated to the new Axis M7001 video encoder, and I am having some difficulty setting it up as a dynamic image on a touch panel. The settings I have used in the past for the 241S and 241Q don't work anymore. I opened a support ticket with Axis, and they told me the motion jpeg path is as follows:

http://<ip>/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi

This works in a browser, but not as a dynamic image; I'm assuming because the dynamic image setup tags a <user name>@ in front of the full path, but I'm guessing (not even really sure it does that, but it's how it shows up in the dynamic image tab).

I can get it to work if I use http://<ip>/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi, and set the refresh at one second. This is the still image path ... but I would like a bit better than 1 FPS.

Any thoughts?
    I went through the same thing in May with the new M3011 camera. Got the same response from Axis and got the same single image. The camera was just something I bought to play with so I never did pursue a solution and I really don't recall what I did or tried to do.

I can't recall if maybe it worked in the TP but not TPD4 or it just didn't work either way. I know around the same time I was playing with an HAI camera that didn't use a path or filename which meant I couldn't make the entry in TPD4 but then Joe H. had a brilliant idea of creating a dummy name in TPD4 and then through code changing the URL which worked.

I can't imagine giving up so easily on the axis cam though so if I think of something I'll let you know. Maybe if I find that camera it will bring back some memories.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    For what it's worth, my network DVR (Quadrox WebCCTV) can't grab the motion jpeg either. There has got to be more to it than the official line from Axis. I think something is wrong with their server push protocol, and it doesn't always kick in.
  • snoblesnoble Posts: 35
    Dave, you might also try a media player that can do Motion JPEG (like VLC). If it does not work, then at least you have a widely available player that you can reference when working with Axis support. Also, if you have the server on a public address, I will point to it and see if I can determine why it is failing.
    It works fine in VLC. The fully qualified path from outside is: http://profetafarm.dnsalias.org:60014/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi . The error I get in TPD4 is: Unable to load image file; file may not exist or may not be a PNG or JPG image (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me considering it is dynamic).

I made a temporary login for viewing only: user name = temp, password = pass .
  • AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    It works fine in VLC. The fully qualified path from outside is: http://profetafarm.dnsalias.org:60014/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi . The error I get in TPD4 is: Unable to load image file; file may not exist or may not be a PNG or JPG image (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me considering it is dynamic).

I made a temporary login for viewing only: user name = temp, password = pass .

I set this up and tested it on an actual panel... Seems to work fine... See the image attached of the dialog box showing the settings. Make sure your TP has DNS entries. The "Host" name is a zoned domain name.
    Hmm ... well, I'm not using the host name on the actual panel, it's the local IP number. I can't even get so much as the preview in TPD4. I noticed your panel doesn't have the Dynamo checkbox, could that be a factor? I tried it either way, but it does mean you are either using a different panel (mines an 8400) or firmware.
  • AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    Hmm ... well, I'm not using the host name on the actual panel, it's the local IP number. I can't even get so much as the preview in TPD4. I noticed your panel doesn't have the Dynamo checkbox, could that be a factor? I tried it either way, but it does mean you are either using a different panel (mines an 8400) or firmware.

My TPD maybe older... I would not also assume because you can't get it to be seen in TPD4 that it is not working. Try it on a panel. I never have been able to see Dynamo inside the TPD4 program.

I am using a NXT-CV7 (2.72.11)
    Dave, I saw the same problem with TPD4, so I'll ask an engineer in that area about it. But I too tested it successfully on a 5200i panel running 2.66.21, both with and without the "Dynamo" checkbox checked. Here are my resource manager settings for the image:

Try ignoring the TPD4 error and testing it on your panel. If it still doesn't work, could you reply with the FG# and firmware version of the 8400 you are using.
    I never even considered it may be a TPD4 issue and not a panel problem ... I was relying on the preview in TPD4 to tell me if I got the settings right, and never even attempted to load it.

Turns out it does work in the panel. It won't work with the Dynamo checked off, but that's fine, I don't need that ... at least I have streaming motion MJPG, which is a far cry better than 1 FPS single images. So what I've stumbled over here is a TPD4 bug, not a panel issue.
    I never even considered it may be a TPD4 issue and not a panel problem ... I was relying on the preview in TPD4 to tell me if I got the settings right, and never even attempted to load it.

Turns out it does work in the panel. It won't work with the Dynamo checked off, but that's fine, I don't need that ... at least I have streaming motion MJPG, which is a far cry better than 1 FPS single images. So what I've stumbled over here is a TPD4 bug, not a panel issue.
    The MET-ECOMs are the same way. No preview in TPD4 and you can't display in IE either. That through me for a loop until the Spire_Jeff posted TPD4 preview might not work.

That leads me to believe that I might have tried that with the new Axis cam too which is why I don't have that feeling like it was an unresolved problem. Of course I did post earlier that I didn't know if it worked on the TP and it just didn't work in TPD4 or if it didn't work in either. Leads me to believe I tried but who the f knows. Those memory cells have evaporated.
    vining wrote: »
    The MET-ECOMs are the same way. No preview in TPD4 and you can't display in IE either. That through me for a loop until the Spire_Jeff posted TPD4 preview might not work.

In my back-and-forth with Axis, they told me that IE doesn't like to stream video without scripting (they specifically said Javascript), where Mozilla browsers will do it with just the HTTP request. So, if I had to guess, anything that embeds IE is going to have this problem ... assuming, of course, that isn't just a red herring.

Dave, I've passed this on to the engineer responsible for TPD4 and he is researching - we'll post any updates. Regarding the Dynamo checkbox not working, do you by any chance have an 8400 that was manufactured prior to January 1, 2007 (see serial number)? If so, the fast dynamo feature (i.e. hardware accelerated video) may not work due to hardware differences. If this is not the case, could you let me know & I'll look into it?
    snoble wrote: »
    Dave, I've passed this on to the engineer responsible for TPD4 and he is researching - we'll post any updates. Regarding the Dynamo checkbox not working, do you by any chance have an 8400 that was manufactured prior to January 1, 2007 (see serial number)? If so, the fast dynamo feature (i.e. hardware accelerated video) may not work due to hardware differences. If this is not the case, could you let me know & I'll look into it?

S/N = 596504X1170058 . I don't know which portion is the date code ... but the original contracts date 2007, so it's entirely likely it's just too old.

I might add, it doesn't appear to work with Dynamo checked when connecting with VNC. I don't have physical access to the panel without scheduling it with the client. It's possible it renders too fast for the VNC connection ... I just get a black screen.
    Based on your serial number, your panel was manufactured in 2007 and so should support fast dynamo. However, fast dynamo is not supported over Web Control, so the black window is normal (as long as you aren't seeing it on the panel itself). If you will be relying on Web Control to view the video, you will want to leave the "Dynamo" checkbox unchecked.
  • davegrovdavegrov Posts: 114
    Got the M7001 to work.

Thanks to the collaborative efforts of DaveH and Billy Duncan at AMX I was able to get the the M7001 to work. My implementation takes the composite video stream out of an IC Realtime DVR into the Axis M7001. This client is using an iPad (WiFi) and 2 iPhones (3G/WiFi) for touchpanels. It is important to set the frame rate to a fixed amount since different browsers and panels can only handle certain frame rates. DaveH suggested 26 but to be conservative I used 24 fps. As SNoble mentioned it is important to use the DynamicDNS URL in your IP Address and a remote port. You can assign the remote port on the Axis M7001 using the Axis configuration software that comes with the product CD. It is set in the secondary HTTP Address. In my case I used port 34373. Here is the string I used.

myhome.dyndns-home.com:64373 axis-cgi/mjpg video.cgi?resolution=4cif

4cif is the frame resolution. You can change per the settings as noted on the M7001 Setup info.

This should allow for easier utilization of the M7001. I nice product with great form factor and lower in price.

David Groves ACE
    DG Sales and Service
  • MarkCoMarkCo Posts: 18
    sorry for digging this up.

Do you have any program code you can share for the AXIS M7001 to amx touch panel?

Regards
    MarkCo wrote: »
    sorry for digging this up.

Do you have any program code you can share for the AXIS M7001 to amx touch panel?

Regards

This might work....

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?6457-Axis-Camera-213PTZ
  • davegrovdavegrov Posts: 114
    AXIS 7001 to TP

Mark,

I am not a great programmer like many on this Forum. Vining, the previous poster, is one of the most knowledgeable people on AMX Forums. I'd go with his recommendations.

I will tell you it did take a few tries to get it right for me. I do know you can get it TPD until you get it right.

DAvid