Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Battery Warning?

I just happened to VNC into a remote TP on a current project an much to my suprise I was greeted with the attached display. The charge status bargraph isn't displayed on the bottom (long thin bargrapg between the green "online" indicators at the bottom) so I assume it's still connected to the charger.

telnet:
>get batt
                        Battery 1
                        ---------------------
Presence              : Present
Charge Status         : Not Charging
Fault Status          : No Fault
Charge                : 100    %
Voltage               : 8276   mV
>
So she appears to be still on the charger and fully charged. If you clear the pop up it just returns in about 2 seconds. So I rebooted through telnet and so far so good. This job is a 4 hour drive away and the customers are going to be there for 10 days during the holidays so if this craps out I be sitting in my office playing remote control. Of course if the 5200i isn't working I'll have to take commands via phone and not via TP to TP intercom, their house to my office which works nice for remote walk though tutorials.

Is this something to be concerned about? Has anyone seen this and dealt with it? I can't remotely control the outlet it's plugged into and I'm not about drive 4 hours to disconnect it and then drive 4 hours back. I also don't want the customers who haven't even used the Theater yet (except for one movie 2 weeks ago while I was there) to have to deal with this either since they might start asking (or thinking) what kind of crap I installed.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Yes its something to be worried about. They won't be able to use the panel. Have you not heard about the battery recall on these TPs? Did you recently upgrade the firmware? If the new firmware detects that the battery hasn't been recalled it won't allow the user to use it to prevent fire.
    Paul

EDIT: Here is the link http://www.amx.com/newsroom/announcements/2009.12.14.asp
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    This is a new panel, basically a virgin since the owner hasn't had a chance to get intimate with it yet. I only showed it to him 2 weeks ago and just let him touch it a little, just enough to watch one movie and no one has been to the house to use it since then so it's only been to first base so to speak. It was purchased maybe 6-10 weeks ago so I doubt it has the same battery issue that was the root cause of the recalls. Maybe this is an entirely new issue and maybe it's just a fluke since it hasn't re-appeared since the reboot. It does have me a bit worried though just cuz the commute is so far. Although the recall you speak of had me changing out TPs 2 hours away and one of the 6 replacement didn't work and I refuse to go back again and eat another day on behalf of our friends at AMX. Especially since I also got to spend an extra $5k this year on increased material costs thanks to their beloved BS program.
  • Same problem

I had this happen to an updated panel. Tech support told me that you shouldn't see this message on the updated panels and that it may have been shipped in error or overlooked. They sent a new panel. I think you're going to have to make a trip.
    I just called TS and they said I need to exchange it. Freaking great, so we're still having battery issues or they're so freakin unorganized they're sending out TPs that haven't been modified. I vote for unorganized since the last exchange of 5200's for the old (same?) battery issue they tried to charge me for a returned 5200 and it took several emails and phone conversation to get them to realize their mistake.

Another thing I love about AMX lately is when I do an advance exchange that advanced item get applied to my credit limit so if I'm at my limit they won't ship back ordered items that may have come in and of course they won't call at let me know any of this, they'll just hold up my jobs. Maybe they don't want to pay the 3% AMEX charges since I use that for overages? Of course they didn't mind charging me an extra 20% for everything I purchased this year. They may have been voted the best place to work in Austin, TX but I nominate them as my least favorite vender to sell products for. If it wasn't for their products they would have been dumped and now their products are becoming questionable.

Well at least I still have those pesky 2010 ACE Maintenance requirement to bring me joy still holiday season. It's like pouring salt into my wounds.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vining wrote: »
    I just called TS and they said I need to exchange it. Freaking great, so we're still having battery issues or they're so freakin unorganized they're sending out TPs that haven't been modified. I vote for unorganized since the last exchange of 5200's for the old (same?) battery issue they tried to charge me for a returned 5200 and it took several emails and phone conversation to get them to realize their mistake.

Another thing I love about AMX lately is when I do an advance exchange that advanced item get applied to my credit limit so if I'm at my limit they won't ship back ordered items that may have come in and of course they won't call at let me know any of this, they'll just hold up my jobs. Maybe they don't want to pay the 3% AMEX charges since I use that for overages? Of course they didn't mind charging me an extra 20% for everything I purchased this year. They may have been voted the best place to work in Austin, TX but I nominate them as my least favorite vender to sell products for. If it wasn't for their products they would have been dumped and now their products are becoming questionable.

Well at least I still have those pesky 2010 ACE Maintenance requirement to bring me joy still holiday season. It's like pouring salt into my wounds.

Happy Holidays Vinning!
    And a happy and joyfull holiday to you too e! And while I'm at it a happy and joy filled holiday season to all the forum members and AMX.

PS, I still love AMX but it's one of those ying/yang things. An equal part love to an equal part hate! Products vs. coporate management.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    vining wrote: »
    I just called TS and they said I need to exchange it. Freaking great, so we're still having battery issues or they're so freakin unorganized they're sending out TPs that haven't been modified.

Interesting. They send faulty panels to people who complain on the forums. Coincidence?

:)

Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Interesting. They send faulty panels to people who complain on the forums. Coincidence?

:)

Paul
    Does that mean if I bend over like you I'd get only good stuff? :) I know it's easy to criticize us whiners when it's not your dime being wasted but maybe someday you'll get to wear similar shoes as mine and we'll see then how you like it when some person or company reaches into your pocket and takes your hard earned money and wastes your precious time.

But until that time have merry christmas and a peaceful and prosperous new year Paul. No, I really do mean that! :)