Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Slow Refresh of Dynamic images

Dear all,
I have a technical question. In a project we have 10 NXD-700Vi installed. We have 13 cameras shown through dynamic images (4 per page). The problem is that the refresh is too slow meaning that it takes more than 5 minutes for a frame! (we have set refresh value 1 in the dynamic image setup). Even if we just show one camera per screen the refresh is still the same. If I simulate the Touch panel design (through TPDesign4) with my PC the refresh is simultaneous. The network is ?clean? with no traffic and with an AMX ENET24 network switch. The panels firmware version is 2.81.6 and the controller has the latest.
Is there a possibility we have memory issues? If the format isn't mjpeg should we still be able to see the images? The camera system is an AVER Media PC based.

Any ideas what to try?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Dear all,
    I have a technical question. In a project we have 10 NXD-700Vi installed. We have 13 cameras shown through dynamic images (4 per page). The problem is that the refresh is too slow meaning that it takes more than 5 minutes for a frame! (we have set refresh value 1 in the dynamic image setup). Even if we just show one camera per screen the refresh is still the same. If I simulate the Touch panel design (through TPDesign4) with my PC the refresh is simultaneous. The network is ?clean? with no traffic and with an AMX ENET24 network switch. The panels firmware version is 2.81.6 and the controller has the latest.
    Is there a possibility we have memory issues? If the format isn't mjpeg should we still be able to see the images? The camera system is an AVER Media PC based.

Any ideas what to try?

I wonder if the issue is more to do with having so many touch panels hitting one camera. You could try an experiment and shut down all but one of the touch panels power and see if the single touch panel has a better refresh rate.

Streaming 10 clients from one camera is a lot of work for the little server.

When I worked at a university, we used a lot of cameras in the computer labs and classrooms. Several people could be looking at the cameras at one time. They eventually had to get a streaming server to act as an intermediary so the cameras themselves wouldn't get bogged down. The server also served as a DVR for all the cameras and would monitor them and report problems to the admin whenthe camera went down for some reason.
  • Eric,
    Thank you for your reply. I'll go and check tommorow and see. If a panel is not on the cameras page it's still asking for the images? The problem appears even if only one is on the cameras page and the others are on different pages.

Regards,
    Costas
    Eric,
    Thank you for your reply. I'll go and check tommorow and see. If a panel is not on the cameras page it's still asking for the images? The problem appears even if only one is on the cameras page and the others are on different pages.

Regards,
    Costas

I don't think the touch panel is technically 'connected' to the server if you're not actively looking at the image. I wasn't sure from your post just how many panels were viewing at one time or not.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Costas Theoharis wrote:
    If the format isn't mjpeg should we still be able to see the images?
    I don't think so and I didn't see that it support MPEG streams so how are you making this work at all?
  • AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    Motion Jpegs are Supported by all G4 touch panels it is called DynoMo... The Refresh rate is actually not seconds when connecting to Motion Jpegs. 0 is refresh all the time, 1 is refresh a little slower and so forth. So if you have alot of these going at the same time, it could make those panels work pretty hard. Also I do not know how many simultaneous connections the motion-jpeg server allows, seems you have many connection to that little server. Which could be the issue as well...
  • I have set only one panel to "look" at that page, so the rest of the panels are on different pages. The strange thing is that when I emulate the TP design with my PC I get all the dynamic images instantly. That's why I think it is something wrong with the panels and not with the cameras server.
    I have set only one panel to "look" at that page, so the rest of the panels are on different pages. The strange thing is that when I emulate the TP design with my PC I get all the dynamic images instantly. That's why I think it is something wrong with the panels and not with the cameras server.

It would be unusual for all the panels to be flaky. Are the cameras you speak of able to be seen outside the network? If so, perhaps one of us could try the image on one of our panels and see what we get.
  • The cameras are the Arecont Vision 1.3 Mpixel (AV1300). Unfortunately since they are surveillance cameras I cannot publish their location. I don't know if the path I'm using is the mjpeg path or I just request jpg still images and the refresh is slow.In the manual of the system I saw the following info:

HTTP Request Format for Continuous MJPEG Video Streaming

Continuous sequence of JPEG images (MJPEG) separated by the boundary separator can be requested from AV cameras by using the following GET method request format:
    GET/mjpeg?res=resolution_value&x0=X0&y0=Y0&x1=X1&y1=Y1&quality=quality_value&doublescan=doublescan_value&fps=value&id=value
    HTTP/1.1\r\n
    Host: ip_address\r\n
    \r\n

where
    ?
    Res can have value of either full or half and specifies whether camera should decimate the image by a factor of 2 in each direction;
    ?
    X0, Y0, X1, Y1 are the left, top, right and bottom coordinates of the requested image window, respectively. These values cannot exceed the size of the image sensor array for the specific camera;
    ?
    Quality is the compression quality of the jpeg image with the range from 1 to 20;
    ?
    Doublescan is the parameter that allows the user to specify whether the camera should delay the image output until the new image is available (doublescan = 0) or the image request should be serviced by outputting the content of the image buffer that was already once output (useful for picture-in-picture display).
    ?
    FPS specifies the requested frame rate; values 1 to 15 result in the specified frame rate, while omitting fps parameter as well as fps values of 0 and all values above 16 result in maximum frame rate that is model dependent.
    The following example illustrates the request to camera with IP address 192.168.0.36 for the new full resolution 1600x1200 video stream with compression quality 12 at a maximum frame rate:

GET /mjpeg?res=half&x0=0&y0=0&x1=1600&y1=1200&quality=12&doublescan=0 HTTP/1.1\r\n
    Host: 192.168.1.11\r\n\r\n

In response to the above request the camera sends continuous stream of images separated by the boundary separator ?fbdr? in accordance with MIME multipart/x-mixed-replace format. Please note that MIME multipart/x-mixed-replace format is not directly supported by Internet Explorer and requires user application to correctly process the image stream. For video viewing based on IE only the users should use on-camera script that can be accessed via [url]HTTP://ip_address/index.html[/url] request.
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    You might try to mirror traffic on AMX switch to Wireshark. Look at what happens and where it gets stuck. There is no guarantee, but it gives you some guidance where to look for the problem... Most likely it is the camera http app, check for tcp window zero size packets there...

UPD: Telnet log from the panel would be worth to look at as well during the test.
  • roognationroognation Posts: 138
    AMXJeff wrote: »
    Motion Jpegs are Supported by all G4 touch panels it is called DynoMo

Careful, I just got caught on this: the new 430, 435, 5100, and 5150 panels do not support motion jpeg streams. See this for more info:
    http://amx.com/assets/comparisonCharts/Chart-TouchPanels.pdf
  • We just did a system with 13 touch panels and 60 Cameras. The only way around it that we could find out is by using the Exacqvision DVR and Using the Dynamic Image from the DVR itself. It refreshes once per second (Better than every five minutes).
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    The cameras are the Arecont Vision 1.3 Mpixel (AV1300). Unfortunately since they are surveillance cameras I cannot publish their location. I don't know if the path I'm using is the mjpeg path or I just request jpg still images and the refresh is slow.In the manual of the system I saw the following info:

Areconts are terrible cameras. They probably can't handle all the TPs all hitting them at once.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    roognation wrote: »
    Careful, I just got caught on this: the new 430, 435, 5100, and 5150 panels do not support motion jpeg streams. See this for more info:
    http://amx.com/assets/comparisonCharts/Chart-TouchPanels.pdf

That information is now out of date. The 430 and 435 do dynamic images now (we use it!); the chart says NO, as was the case with the original release. I believe that motion/streams (but maybe not "Dynamo") are also included now with dynamic on these panels. The 5100 and 5150 I think remain disabled on images.