Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware Feature Requests

Remote Transfer via NetLinx Master

Is it possible to add an option for TPTransfer to connect to i-devices via the NetLinx Master aka "Local NI Master Local Host"

If TPTransfer could connect to the NetLinx Master, updates could be achieved via the URL list (master-to-master), just like any other AMX touch panel. Many updates could reasonably be performed without a site visit, if the TPTransfer tool supported connections through the NL Master. Under the current model, there seems to be no way to transfer an updated UI without being attached to the same local network as the i-device. VPN access is not always an option, either due to corporate policy, mobile systems, or other network limitation.

Since TPTransfer seeks and connects directly to the i-device (iPad / iPhone), it does not appear possible to perform a UI or application update from offsite location.

In my case, I'm supporting the iPad UI for multiple sales people around the USA and seldom have direct communication with their iPads on the same network / WLAN.

Traditional dealers, particularly in the residential market, face a similar challenge in support of their clients with single or multiple homes.

Paul Bohnsack
Sales Engineer-Education
AMX

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Work around?

I believe one option would be set every iPad with a unique transfer port and add them one at a time in TPTransfer. This of course operates under the assumption you're using port forwarding. I tested this out once using my external IP, and it worked.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    But you can remote transfer via TPTransfer. Instead of letting TPTransfer do the normal broadcast search for devices you can "Add Device" and enter the specific IP address of the iDevice. This works fine through a VPN connection and it probably would also work if the appropriate port was forwarded.
    Each iDevice would need to have a unique transfer port for multiple iDevices at the same external IP. As Paul already mentioned, VPN is sometimes not always possible with every installation due to corporation rules, or just plain lack of equipment.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    jjames wrote: »
    Each iDevice would need to have a unique transfer port for multiple iDevices at the same external IP. As Paul already mentioned, VPN is sometimes not always possible with every installation due to corporation rules, or just plain lack of equipment.
    If that tis the case then remote file xfer through Netlinx is also out of the question. As far as VPNs go that can be less than a $300 device and it's way more secure than port forwarding through a DMZ plus affords alot more control capabilities than allowing a single port for the master, especially when the master is fubar for what ever reason.

Since it seems to be an AMX controlled product the ability to go through a master would be nice. Heck I'd be happy if I could keep the dam file open whilst I xfer.
    I agree a VPN connection is best, but again - not always possible due to whatever reason.

TPC would / will need to use the transfer code (0x0204 per the ICSP patent) in order to go through the master. While I'm sure they're capable of following the protocol provided in the patent, it just happens to be many years old and I assume prior to the ability of encrypting the ICSP connection. My guess is AMX won't provide the encryption process to TPC.

The file lock is an AMX issue, not TPC.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I will take this request 1 step further.

I would love to be able to enter a file location into the TPControl App for each device and then have the devices verify they are running the latest version of the file on startup.

I have found that it is quite difficult to setup service calls and system updates during business hours when the homeowner's phone is onsite to receive the updates. It would be great if I could do the service call, test on the iPad or iPod touch in the house, and then the homeowner's phone would automatically update itself the first time he launched the TPC App after getting home after work.

In my mind the best solution (and easiest for TPC to implement) is to use TPTransfer to send the file to an FTP directory on the master and have the i-Devices check in with the master for the latest revision. You could have a root TPC folder if you want all devices to use the same file, or specify subfolders by device number if you want them to use individual files.