Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Vertical Text

Hi

Is it possible in TP4 to write Text on a button "vertical" ?

thanks
John

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Yes and no. There is no built-in format for it, but you can always enter carriage returns between letters to fake it (Ctrl-Enter). Awkward and kludgy, but it will work in a pinch if you aren't trying to get too fancy. Now if you want the whole thing sideways, like it was spun 90 degrees, you'll have to turn your text into an image and put it on the element that way.

So yes, you can do it. But no on a quick, easy, elegant built-in method.
  • Thanks,

but i want to send text from system..... :-(

john
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    John_Glove wrote: »
    Thanks,

but i want to send text from system..... :-(

john
    Just write a routine that takes any text string you wish to send and inserts the proper line break between each character.
  • ericmedley wrote: »
    Just write a routine that takes any text string you wish to send and inserts the proper line break between each character.

i think it's better i rotate my iphone...

thanks

john
    If you send text to a button with a bar character (| which is shift-\ on a typical US keyboard) the panel will treat the bar character as a carriage return when it renders. So, SEND_COMMAND TP, "'^TXT-1,0,A|B|C|D'" will give you a vertical ABCD.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    If you send text to a button with a bar character (| which is shift-\ on a typical US keyboard) the panel will treat the bar character as a carriage return when it renders. So, SEND_COMMAND TP, "'^TXT-1,0,A|B|C|D'" will give you a vertical ABCD.

we (old unix people) call that character a 'pipe'
  • rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Now if you want the whole thing sideways, like it was spun 90 degrees, you'll have to turn your text into an image and put it on the element that way.

I really wish TP4 could rotate objects. Its hard to exactly reproduce the built in text effects and rotated text inevitably winds up looking just slightly different from all the other text on the panel as a result.
    ericmedley wrote: »
    we (old unix people) call that character a 'pipe'

Yep, I'm familiar with that term, but I always thought of that usage as an operator, not necessarily the name of the character. So I looked it up ... the proper name of the glyph itself is "vertical bar" if it's one solid line, and "broken bar" if it's the kind that has a small space in the middle. Might as well just call the key that produces it a pipe though, since the type of glyph it produces depends on the font..
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    rfletcher wrote: »
    I really wish TP4 could rotate objects. Its hard to exactly reproduce the built in text effects and rotated text inevitably winds up looking just slightly different from all the other text on the panel as a result.

Then things would look very pixelated. It isn't trivial to rotate a square on a pixel based screen and still have it have straight edges. Better to do it in a software program that has the ability to do it well and then use the resulting image.
    Paul
  • DHawthorne wrote: »

Its a great information, thanks a lot.