Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

2 questions on MVP-5200i:

1. Why would my panel communicate via USB on 10.0.0.xxx, but not on 192.168.1.xxx(my PC's subnet)?

2. Does the panel allow changing of button hit tones like the larger wireless panels? Getting to really despise the default tone.

Thanks for the answers to these not-so-thoroughly-researched questions!

Comments

• To Question 1:
    The USB connection is a separate network. If you connect the MVP5200 to your PC, a new network card "USB LAN Connection" is created, with a new network range 12.0.0.x (panel default is .2, PC's default .1). By this, you e.g. also can do a telnet to your panel.

To Question 2:
    The current MVP-5200 firmware is not supporting different button hit and miss tones. This may be added in a future firmware release.
  • gregrgregr Posts: 54
    Thanks for the reply, Mark.
    To Question 1:
    The USB connection is a separate network. If you connect the MVP5200 to your PC, a new network card "USB LAN Connection" is created, with a new network range 12.0.0.x (panel default is .2, PC's default .1). By this, you e.g. also can do a telnet to your panel.

This makes sense, but I figured I could go to Network Connection Properties and change the USB LAN Connection to my PC's sub-net and both could talk to each other fine, but that was not the case.
    To Question 2:
    The current MVP-5200 firmware is not supporting different button hit and miss tones. This may be added in a future firmware release.

Let's hope for the best.

Thanks
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    gregr wrote: »

Let's hope for the best.

Thanks
    You can program any button hit sound you like. do it from code.
  • gregr wrote: »

2. Does the panel allow changing of button hit tones like the larger wireless panels? Getting to really despise the default tone.

Future 5200i firmware releases will include the same selectable tones and custom tone feature that the 8400 has. All I can say is coming soon. Hang in there. :)

Chris
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    ericmedley wrote: »
    You can program any button hit sound you like. do it from code.

Indeed. While complain about something so easily changed? I haven't heard the default sound in years. Well that's not true, I hear it about 5 times every time I unpack a new panel. The only thing that would be nice is if the setup pages could use the sounds in the touch panel file rather than the default or nothing. But I can't see that happening anytime soon.
    Paul
  • a_riot42,

If you are not familiar with the 8400 feature that was being referenced, this comes with 10 sounds for button hits/misses and allows an extra slot for a custom hit/miss sound. The custom hit/miss file is added as a resource in your TPD4 project.

Chris
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Indeed. While complain about something so easily changed? I haven't heard the default sound in years. Well that's not true, I hear it about 5 times every time I unpack a new panel. The only thing that would be nice is if the setup pages could use the sounds in the touch panel file rather than the default or nothing. But I can't see that happening anytime soon.
    Paul
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    amxcjc wrote: »
    a_riot42,

If you are not familiar with the 8400 feature that was being referenced, this comes with 10 sounds for button hits/misses and allows an extra slot for a custom hit/miss sound. The custom hit/miss file is added as a resource in your TPD4 project.

Chris

I am not familiar. Is this a new feature? I don't see it in the MVP-5200 setup. I haven't been programming many 8400's lately, just 5200's and iPads.
    Paul
  • Please see my previous post in this thread..
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?7676-2-questions-on-MVP-5200i&p=53331#post53331

Chris
    I am not familiar. Is this a new feature? I don't see it in the MVP-5200 setup. I haven't been programming many 8400's lately, just 5200's and iPads.
    Paul
    Paul

Yes, I know about and have done this, but-
    1) If I am using the same sound for all buttons, doing it in the panel requires less work.
    2) Doing it in code is not the same, as far as I have found. "^BSO" assigns the sound to the on/off states, not technically a button press. So, if I set a button feedback to blink, the sound file plays on each blink, not just the press.
    Maybe there are alternatives I don't know about...

Thanks, all
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    To universally change the sound on a panel, you can alter the WAV file that is included in the Program Files/Common Files/AMX Share/G4SupportFiles/_system/graphics/sounds folder. If you change these, and reload all graphics and system files on the panel (NOT smart transfer!) the file will be replaced and all sounds will be the new one(s). This lets you replace any/all of the 10 pack-in sounds on the new firmware too. I found 2-10 to be worse than the standard #1. Well, #7 was not horrible.
  • Where this will do the job, indeed, there is one reason why I would never recommend it.

Next time somebody ELSE uploads the same file, sounds will revert to the default, and about half of my customers will consider that a reason to call you after hours and to say that "the other guy" has broken their panel.
    Where this will do the job, indeed, there is one reason why I would never recommend it.

Next time somebody ELSE uploads the same file, sounds will revert to the default, and about half of my customers will consider that a reason to call you after hours and to say that "the other guy" has broken their panel.
    button_event[dev_bunch_O_TPs,0]
    {
    push:
      {
      send_command dev_bunch_O_TPs[get_last(dev_bunch_O_TPs)], '@SOU-whateversoundyouwant.wav'
      }
    }

done...
    "Programmer smacks the 'Easy' button"
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Where this will do the job, indeed, there is one reason why I would never recommend it.

Actually unless you do a "full clean transfer" the sounds will stick and I don't know anyone who does that unless they're changing sound files to begin with.

Also keep in mind that for a lot of us, if someone else is uploading files to our customer's system then they're using another company so F' em. :) Even for big companies where this could be a problem, file syncing is common place so sync this file too.
  • It happened, so I mentioned it. From the same company, same file, different tp4 installation.

All I am saying is that there are solutions, such as the one posted above by Eric, where circumstantial prerequisites are not involved.
    thanks!
    {
    push:
      {
      send_command dev_bunch_O_TPs[get_last(dev_bunch_O_TPs)], '@SOU-whateversoundyouwant.wav'
      }
    }

Have never used this-looks like a code-based equivalent to changing sounds in the panel.
    gregr wrote: »
    {
    push:
      {
      }
    }

Have never used this-looks like a code-based equivalent to changing sounds in the panel.

Precisely!
    great tip!
    John Nagy wrote: »
    To universally change the sound on a panel, you can alter the WAV file that is included in the Program Files/Common Files/AMX Share/G4SupportFiles/_system/graphics/sounds folder. If you change these, and reload all graphics and system files on the panel (NOT smart transfer!) the file will be replaced and all sounds will be the new one(s). This lets you replace any/all of the 10 pack-in sounds on the new firmware too. I found 2-10 to be worse than the standard #1. Well, #7 was not horrible.

I had no idea-just tried it and works-thanks, John!