Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Recover bricked 8400

Last mention I saw of this was a year ago for a 5100, so I'm wondering if there have been any tricks discovered in the meantime.

Brand new 8400 out of the box. Doing initial load of project files, which included setup pages, the transfer fails. I now have an 8400 that boots to the AMX logo and a bright blue solid LED in the upper right corner.

Any way I can kick this back into action short of sending it back to Texas?

Thanks,
- Chip

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    If you have a good 8400 laying around, CF card reader, and Paragon Hard Disk Manager - you can make a copy of the good one, and put it onto the bad one. I've done this several times. In fact, I always keep a spare 512MB card around, my CF card reader, and the files to copy over.

I've never seen a card fail, just something go wrong in the software / load.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    There was a batch of bad cards out in the wild about two years ago. I saw more than my share of them ... very frustrating to load a project file with a minor change and brick the panel in doing so. The main symptom would be that they failed on reboot. I too started making CF images, and I have found with the panels of that era that the image wouldn't even write to the old card anymore, but worked fine on a new one.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I didn't know that. I guess we just got lucky.

Keep in mind, you can buy the same CF cards AMX uses. I think I found them for about $25 each.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have used several different cards successfully, even some I grabbed in a rush at Best Buy. As long as they are big enough to hold the image, industry standard seems to be the order of the day.