Home AMX User Forum MODPEDIA - The Public Repository of Modules for Everyone

Popcorn Hour C-200

Anyone has a TCP/IP module for the Popcorn Hour C-200 media client?

Comments

• Popcorn-Hour-C-200

I need it too)))
    Upload it, pls...
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    I need it three. Or the protocol would be nice also.
  • Web control

Does it work properly?
    I have not any popcorns now and can`t try:-(
  • cmasoncmason Posts: 123
    Does it work properly?
    I have not any popcorns now and can`t try:-(

I have a PCH A-200 and the raw character codes work perfectly.
    Just open TCP port 30000 to your PCH and "SEND_STRING" the ASCII character with out termination ($0D).

There is no feedback though.

I am using it my home setup right now.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    A media player that provides no feedback... That sounds like a quality price OS gear right there...
    :)
  • ericmedley wrote: »
    A media player that provides no feedback... That sounds like a quality price OS gear right there...
    ...not only it does not have feedback but also NO DISCRETE power on/off commands....
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    ericmedley wrote: »
    It is just a consumer product with an OSD. They're supposed to be pretty nice for what they do, streaming content, but it's not really an integration piece unless you figure it on the level of an IR device. Maybe if they get their feet off the ground they'll get around to adding advanced control features but for their current market I don't see that as a big demand.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    vining wrote: »
    It is just a consumer product with an OSD. They're supposed to be pretty nice for what they do, streaming content, but it's not really an integration piece unless you figure it on the level of an IR device. Maybe if they get their feet off the ground they'll get around to adding advanced control features but for their current market I don't see that as a big demand.

Which puts it right on par with Apple TV and Roku ... though you can get metadata, etc., out of an Apple TV, you certainly don't need to for it to be useful.
  • cmasoncmason Posts: 123
    papadouk wrote: »
    ...not only it does not have feedback but also NO DISCRETE power on/off commands....

The on/off really just turns the display off (standby). It doesn't cause a cold reboot. You can cause a full cold power of by a 3 second repeat power IR.

Also, it's a Linux box with other Telnet ports, so there may in fact be other ways to get feedback.

I have just not played around with them.

For the price though it's a decent media player and plays most video formats you can throw ate it.
  • Hi cmason,
    cmason wrote: »
    The on/off really just turns the display off (standby). It doesn't cause a cold reboot. You can cause a full cold power of by a 3 second repeat power IR.
    I admit i didn't know that. But even if this is the case, how hard can it be to implement a simple discrete "Power" command (like the IR does) in telnet?
    Also, it's a Linux box with other Telnet ports, so there may in fact be other ways to get feedback.
    I have just not played around with them.
    Well i do not know either all the possibilities that it might have. And i don't have a unit available (or time) for testing.
    For the price though it's a decent media player and plays most video formats you can throw ate it.
    Totally agree.

Kostas
  • bobbob Posts: 296
    Guys,

it is indeed possible to get very detailed feedback from the Popcorn Hour players, I just have found this API documentation:
    http://www.halfelite.com/pch_api.pdf

By looking through it, you can tap into the Jukebox directly and get all sort of feedback, like a Kaleidescape system actually. Everything is set/get possible, very, very rich platform SDK API.

Edit:
    Just tried and for instance the following query

http://nmtPlayerIP:8008/playback?ar...rrent_vod_info
    gets you the detailed path of the video that is currently being player.

http://nmtPlayerIP:8008/playback?arg0=list_subtitle_vod
    would list all available subtitle

http://nmtPlayerIP:8008/playback?arg0=list_audio_vod
    lists available audio streams in the video currently being played

http://nmtPlayerIP:8008/playback?arg...dio_vod&arg1=2
    sets the audio to the second stream (without displaying anything in the OSD menu!!)

etc.
  • bobbob Posts: 296
    Here is the full API documentation. It is build in into each Firmware, so no additional installation or whatsoever is required. Just access via port 8008 on the respective NMT player. Very nice. Perhaps we should combine efforts and write a rich module for the NMT...
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    The potential for a nice 2-way IP control of this box is intriguing, but the simplicity, market acceptance, and power of PLEX via ROKU, APPLETV, and even built into many new TV's makes doing otherwise look like a long path to a questionable gain.

Though I was horrified when PLEX removed the (one way) IP control from their native PC client. The old 0.9x client still works. Plex pretty well rules. Glorious clients for mobile devices, worldwide streaming, sharing, a UI that survives well as 1-way... all updating automatically and with an ever-widening feature set. Their latest music additions out-pandoras Pandora. Oh, and by the way, Popcorn Hour now has a PLEX client...

The sales issue with any of these players in high-end RESI remains the means of acquiring content. The more money the client has, the less interested they are in the time, effort, and potential liabilities of collecting/ripping/converting content. They don't even want to have to drop a CD in an auto-rip tray. The ideal customer for a RESI integration isn't into this... the user that IS into this is usually a terrible RESI integration candidate. They want to do it all in IOT. For cheap or free. A poor business model for us.