Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPDesign can't transfer file to R4 remote NAK code 0x0012

When you receive the error message:

Error performing action Create Remote Panel Directories:
Device returned file transfer NAK code 0x0012:
Unknown error; please contact technical support

This message happens when the R4 remote is not docked in its charging cradle.
Dock the R4 in the charging cradle and transfer the file again should work.

I got stuck with this for a few hours so I posted the cause.
AMX should make the error code more descriptive please.

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    syslock wrote: »
    When you receive the error message:

Error performing action Create Remote Panel Directories:
    Device returned file transfer NAK code 0x0012:
    Unknown error; please contact technical support

This message happens when the R4 remote is not docked in its charging cradle.
    Dock the R4 in the charging cradle and transfer the file again should work.

I got stuck with this for a few hours so I posted the cause.
    AMX should make the error code more descriptive please.
    I guess AMX publications are meant not to be read.

Please see page 31 of the "Operation/Reference Guide - MIO-R4" PDF:
    USB file transfers should only be performed while the unit is on the charging cradle and with the sleep timeout set to 0 (off). Set the sleep timeout (in the Setup Menu, Remote and Display Settings->Timeout) to 0 BEFORE attaching the USB cable
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    jjames wrote: »
    I guess AMX publications are meant not to be read.

Please see page 31 of the "Operation/Reference Guide - MIO-R4" PDF:

Meant to be read or not, that is the most silly description of an error I've ever seen. If you just started out it would be something you don't know, but if it just said: "Please place the R4 in it's cradle before filetransfer" or "The R4 needs to be charging for filetransfers".

Anyone would know. Descriptive errors are considered good coding practise.. And unless AMX is going to come up with a proper error code knowledge base, should be required.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    As it was explained to me when I complained about this message, it is a generic transfer failure message, not specifically about being out of the charging dock - which is one of about 100 things that could prevent the transfer. It only seems obvious to us in hindsight that it could have included a prompt about the thing WE specifically were doing wrong. Along with a list of 99 other things. Then we could complain about the list.

This is not a defense. Only more background that might just give a ray of light on the thankless job that is software.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    Meant to be read or not, that is the most silly description of an error I've ever seen. If you just started out it would be something you don't know, but if it just said: "Please place the R4 in it's cradle before filetransfer" or "The R4 needs to be charging for filetransfers".

Anyone would know. Descriptive errors are considered good coding practise.. And unless AMX is going to come up with a proper error code knowledge base, should be required.
    I'd have to agree that this error should be more descriptive. When I got bit by this I had my cradle plugged in and the R4 was docked but as it is when I'm on a jobsite I had a lot going on and never noticed that when I would dock the R4 I didn't get the "docked" pop up. I kept trying to transfer again and again and I kept getting the same error and of course I brought every R4 to this same location/cradle to do the transfer except for one that I did on the 2nd floor of this house which worked. Finally after calling TS to find out what this error code was about I then realized the outlet I was plugged into wasn't working, actually it was a switched recepticle and the switch was off but since the error doesn't say in english what the problem was I had to waste a call to TS not to mention the time I wasted until I caved in and called. So if TS is burdened by stupid calls for stupid problems of their own creation it's their own damn fault. Now alot of dealers can't call TS because of the stupid BS requirements and this is the kind of BS that makes small dealers pack their bags and move on to companies that respect and appreciate them doing what they can to sell their products.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I'm fairly certain that when Zigbee Pro came out, there was a file called README and it even said in there that it needed to be docked. I'm not sure why people need their hands held by AMX - I thought we were professionals?

RTFM.