Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPD4 & Vista

Okay, sorta of along the same lines of Vining's problems here, I cannot maintain images that I import. However, I'm leaning towards a Vista problem. I have two sets of graphics, a smaller set (the ones in question are 50x50), and a larger set (75x75). When I import the larger set of buttons into the panel and replace the smaller set, all is fine. I save. Close TPD4. Come back and it's the smaller set again. The buttons have the same names, and everything else seems to save (font attributes, color, etc.)

Does anyone have any issues like this? And if so - any fix / workaround to it?

One more thing - does anyone know the exact path of "backup" panels in XP? I know it's somewhere along the lines of C:\Documents And Settings\LocalData - or Application Data - something like that???

Comments

• jjames wrote: »
    Okay, sorta of along the same lines of Vining's problems here, I cannot maintain images that I import. However, I'm leaning towards a Vista problem. I have two sets of graphics, a smaller set (the ones in question are 50x50), and a larger set (75x75). When I import the larger set of buttons into the panel and replace the smaller set, all is fine. I save. Close TPD4. Come back and it's the smaller set again. The buttons have the same names, and everything else seems to save (font attributes, color, etc.)
    I use TPD4 interchangeably between a Vista and XP system, and honestly haven't had any problems specific to one or the other. I did have problems initially on Vista when the User Account Control was enabled, but I've since murdered that with spite and vengeance, and it hasn't bothered me since. But considering at much work as I do in the program on Vista Home Premium, I can't say I've ever encountered a problem as the one you're describing.

Honestly, it sounds like something went wrong with the panel itself or something strange within the program itself - but I don't think Vista is to blame; if it is a problem with the program, I suspect if could've happened just as easily on an XP machine.
    jjames wrote: »
    One more thing - does anyone know the exact path of "backup" panels in XP? I know it's somewhere along the lines of C:\Documents And Settings\LocalData - or Application Data - something like that???
    I don't think TDP4 does a "backup" exactly - at least, it doesn't have your standard recovery if the program crashes. But I do know it holds temporary files in the following:

root:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\Amx1Res
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    jjames wrote: »

Edit -> Preferences -> Directories

"Panels" (editable)
    <not sure what the default is, I've changed mine>

"Backup copies:" (editable)
    C:\Program Files\AMX Control Disc\TPDesign4\BackupFiles

"Temp folder location" (not editable):
    C:\Users\Chad\AppData\Local\Temp

(I'm running Vista)
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Thanks Chad. I tried removing those files to see if it would help . . . and sadly no. Are you running into the problem I'm describing?
    No, I haven't had any TPD4 + Vista issues, although I've only been running Vista for about a month and haven't done a ton of panel work yet. I have not been able to install G4 Preview (I only need it for R4 panels).

My biggest headache with Vista is networking. All that "Public" "Private" b.s. is quite annoying when connecting to different networks every day. I'm finally starting to get a grasp on what it takes, but I still have to "Diagnose and Repair" every time I wake up my laptop after putting it to sleep. Getting an address via DHCP seems very slow, too.
    Chad - could you do a little experiment for me?

Create two images named the same thing. Make one be something like 200x200, and the other be 50x50. Create the panel, import the smaller one. Save it and close. Open it back up, import the 200x200, overwriting the smaller one (do not make a copy of it in the panel.) Save it, and close TPD4. Re open it and tell me what image is there - the smaller one or larger one.
  • I just tried this with a 47x47 image and a 200x200 image. It worked like a champ. I'm running Vista Ultimate with SP1 and updates as of today's download. I've been using Vista for almost a year now and haven't had that problem. Things have been really smooth since SP1 and turning off the UAC or whatever they call it.

Danny
    GRRRRR! I just got a new PC with Vista on it with SP1 and this is the first problem I've seen. UAC is turned off as well.
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    FWIW, I had the same problem a few weeks ago with an XP machine . . . . so it might not be Vista.

J
    Well? Whad'ya do to fix 'er? :D
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    What happens if you delete the images on the TP and then import?
    Paul
    then i have to go through every button that uses that image and set the on/off states. :( not quite sure if i'm ready to do that yet...
  • jjames wrote: »
    then i have to go through every button that uses that image and set the on/off states. :( not quite sure if i'm ready to do that yet...
    I've been using the find and replace in tpd4 recently and I must say, it has behaved quite well.

Jeremiah, this doesn't address your problem per se, but if you did import new on and off files and then did a f&r of the bitmaps across the whole panel, I think you'll have it collared pretty quickly.

Just a thought..
    Just tried it with one button . . . still no go. I have no idea what's going on. At this point - I'm beginning to think it's operator error.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Pretty bizarre isn't it? At least I'm no longer alone. I think I finally just gave up and changed the file names cuz nothing was making sense and nothing seemed to work permanently, they would always manage to change back some how. Gremlins?
    Okay . . . I think I got it fixed - at least it's been working so far.

I imported the "correct" graphics, created a new touch panel file, and then copy and pasted in the pages and popups from the old one to the new one.

What's funny is when you view the graphics that are in the AMXRes1 folder, it shows the older files, which lead me to think that it was the file itself. Anyway, try creating a new file - and then copy over the pages and popups.

Worked for me . . . for now.
  • Install and run using Compatibility Mode

You will be able to use TP4 Preview by installing and running TP4 Preview in compatibility mode.

1. Download TP4 directly to your PC.
    2. Right-Click on the downloaded file. Select "Properties"
    3. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.
    4. In the "Compatibility made" window check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
    5. Use the drop-down arrow to select Windows XP.
    6. Click "OK"

7. Now you can open the TP4 Preview installation file.
    8. Proceed to install the application.

9. Once installed, repeat steps 2-6 with the Application shortcut.

Colzie wrote: »
    No, I haven't had any TPD4 + Vista issues, although I've only been running Vista for about a month and haven't done a ton of panel work yet. I have not been able to install G4 Preview (I only need it for R4 panels).

My biggest headache with Vista is networking. All that "Public" "Private" b.s. is quite annoying when connecting to different networks every day. I'm finally starting to get a grasp on what it takes, but I still have to "Diagnose and Repair" every time I wake up my laptop after putting it to sleep. Getting an address via DHCP seems very slow, too.
    Thanks don1zer. I had tech support on the phone one time and happened to ask them about the Vista/TP4 preview... Compatibility mode was the key. Thanks!
  • 2Fast2Fast Posts: 90
    nice! Now I can change my notebook.
  • MWNE2MWNE2 Posts: 15
    I know this is an old thread, but I am having trouble loading TP4 into a vista machine.I keep getting a C:\windows\system32\msvcrt.ll error. IT ays I don't have permission and access is denied.Can someone help?
  • MWNE2 wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but I am having trouble loading TP4 into a vista machine.I keep getting a C:\windows\system32\msvcrt.ll error. IT ays I don't have permission and access is denied.Can someone help?

Make sure you're running the install program as an administrator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • arkan_arkan_ Posts: 1
    I did it.

Recently I got a new PC with vista installed,and had a bigtime trouble with TPD4. The usual msvcrt.dll problem.
    having done all the possible steps unsuccesfully, seeked the help of AMX support. Half of the day he spend on my pc through team viewer; still same error message.

Being helpless, I thought of replacing the msvcrt.dll file in system32/ with a new one. Its not possible to do any changes to the .dll files in system32. What I did was, first removed the .dll extension of the file and then the file remained unrecognized, I copied the new file so that I had two msvcrt files in the same folder; 1. msvcrt and 2. msvcrt.dll

Surprisingly TPD4 installed without any problems. I thought let it have a reboot after that long session.
    One black screen with the words "FAILED TO LOAD OPERATING SYSTEM..."

Now I'm happy with XP, no installation problems, no authentication. All is well.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I just blew up m home computer by moving the old msvcrt out of the way while TPD updated. I thought of putting it back, but the TPD file was newer. Now my PC won't start ... not in Safe mode, not in any way at all. Blue screen and crash on login.

Something is wrong with the installation program for the latest release of TPD4. locked files should be marked and properly replaced on reboot. This should never happen. I'm kicking myself hard, because I know better than to move a system file like that, but I ran process viewer and it wasn't in use, so I thought it was OK. Apparently not, something about it is needed at login time, and that is when it crashes. Now, instead of having a nice relaxing Saturday after a pretty miserable week, I'm going to be all day re-installing Windows, and the hundreds of other programs on this PC.
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I just blew up m home computer by moving the old msvcrt out of the way while TPD updated. I thought of putting it back, but the TPD file was newer. Now my PC won't start ... not in Safe mode, not in any way at all. Blue screen and crash on login.

Something is wrong with the installation program for the latest release of TPD4. locked files should be marked and properly replaced on reboot. This should never happen. I'm kicking myself hard, because I know better than to move a system file like that, but I ran process viewer and it wasn't in use, so I thought it was OK. Apparently not, something about it is needed at login time, and that is when it crashes. Now, instead of having a nice relaxing Saturday after a pretty miserable week, I'm going to be all day re-installing Windows, and the hundreds of other programs on this PC.

You might get yourself a copy of Knoppix http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html and start your PC up in linux. That will give you the ability to access the file system and move files around any way you want. It won't fix a registry problem or a boot sector problem or the like, but it will allow you to manipulate the files. I think it will allow you to do just about everything, so the necessary caveats apply.
    My PC didn't come with a Vista disc, and I wanted to upgrade to Win 7 anyway (just not today), so I ran out to Staples and grabbed a copy. I was just about to hit the "wipe everything out and install fresh" button, when I noticed it had a repair option that allowed me to run a command line ... something I couldn't do booting from my hard drive. So I copied the old msvcrt.dll back, and all is well again. Now I can do the upgrade properly at least ... make sure I have everything properly backed up, etc. But not today. I'm back to plan A ... some beautiful late-summer Saturday R&R.

Interestingly enough, TPD4 runs just fine with the old msvcrt.dll in place. Go figure.
    Hedberg wrote: »
    You might get yourself a copy of Knoppix http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html and start your PC up in linux. That will give you the ability to access the file system and move files around any way you want. It won't fix a registry problem or a boot sector problem or the like, but it will allow you to manipulate the files. I think it will allow you to do just about everything, so the necessary caveats apply.

And by, the way, thanks for the heads-up on that utility. It looks worth having anyway. I could pull the drive and mount it on another PC, but that would require screwing all the permissions. Post-XP Windows is awful that way. I suppose it really is more secure, but it really makes life difficult.
    My work computer crashed and burned with the latest TPD4 install too. It never complained once, there was no issue whatsoever running the install, but it wouldn't restart: spontaneous reboots when you would normally see the login screen. Again, I was able to get running again by copying a known good version of msvcrt.dll (this time from a coworker's computer) to my system32 folder, and all was well again.

I can only conclude that the web update version (for all I know the one downloaded directly too, but I can't confirm it) of the TPD4 has either a corrupt or the wrong version altogether for Vista 32 of msvcrt.dll. I've called it in to AMX, but people should be warned ... this is a majorly serious problem, and can render a computer inoperable if you don't have the resources to repair it.