Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware Feature Requests
Options

TPCloud

Hello,

I have used the TPCloud to transfer files to devices and I like the transfer functionality, but the web interface needs a little work. Here are a few thoughts: First, we need to be able to assign a job ID to our tokens. Next, we need to be able to filter the token list by Job ID. Lastly, we need to be able to load a single TPD file and assign it to multiple tokens.

Thank you,
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I agree with all of the above, but I still think we need to keep the "Notes/Friendly Name" field so we can distinguish individual devices within a single job.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    While TPCloud is great for settings changes - nothing beats a VPN to transfer panels.

With TPCloud:
    1) Upload file to server
    2) Instruct client to enable transfer. This requires them getting into the settings - which for some clients requires a phone call to walk them through it.
    3) Instruct client to open TPControl to allow download.
    4) Test. Repeat if necessary for other panels, and updates.

With VPN:
    1) Instruct client to open TPControl on all panels
    2) Transfer to all panels.
    3) Test & change if necessary.

I prefer - VPN. :-) TPCloud seems like a novelty thing - I see no real-world use case.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    jjames wrote: »
    While TPCloud is great for settings changes - nothing beats a VPN to transfer panels.
    I prefer - VPN. :-) TPCloud seems like a novelty thing - I see no real-world use case.

I have had good success with the TPCloud, at least from a client side. Sure, there are some clients that are afraid of the settings page, but most of our clients have and use iPads/iPhones for more than just TPControl. The settings interface is very easy to use and 1 minute of instruction is all that is needed to teach them where to turn on the update. I could understand concern about having a client edit the registry on a windows machine, but too afraid to use the settings interface? Yes, I understand there are some people that would seriously consider paying someone to sit next to them while they watch TV with the express purpose changing the channel at the client's request, but I am talking about the majority of clients, not the exceptions.

Some of my clients actually are more comfortable knowing that if they think the TP file is screwed up, they can just download it again without having to call us. (Say if they do a restore on their device and it reverts to an old TP file). It is also nice for the clients that have TPControl installed on personal iPads and iPhones that are with them. I don't need them to be connected to the home network to update.

Lastly, I find that sometimes, the VPN transfer can bog down. I can start all of the iPads on a job downloading at almost the same time and not see any transfer speed issues. Not to mention, I have been having problems with TPTransfer crashing on my computer.

The biggest problem with TPCloud is the backend. I would like to have some reports that show current assigned files and last download dates along with the above requests. With a few improvements to the web interface, I would prefer to use the cloud.

Just my opinion tho :)
    Jeff
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Our dealers have some clients who will not permit a VPN. The Cloud presents a good option to rolling a truck.
  • Options
    Hi guys,
    TPCloud is a work in progress, with many great features that have been suggested, already scheduled in future development. Many more features will come in the months ahead.

In case you were not already aware, "Last Upload" and "Last Download" information is provided within the "Upload" drop-down for each device token.

To simplify the end-user/technician experience, new API commands have been added to TPControl v2.2.0.0. Provided TPControl is running on the device, you can issue a code-based send_command <device>,'TPCCMD-Update' to initiate a TPCloud update. The internal loopback port is also supported within TP4 designs, allowing you to implement a button in your UI without the need for the device to be connected to the NetLinx master. This avoids having to step the user through changing Settings...

Example TP4 files that demonstrate the use of TPCCMD, as well as another new command TPCURL, are located at the following locations;
    http://www.touchpanelcontrol.com/guest/tpcontrol/ExampleTP4s/TPCCMD-Connection%20profiles.TP4
    http://www.touchpanelcontrol.com/guest/tpcontrol/ExampleTP4s/TPCURL-URL%20examples.TP4

TPControl API command documentation can be found within "TPTransfer -> Tools -> Documentation" (v1.1.7.1 for latest) and can also be downloaded from http://www.touchpanelcontrol.com/files/pdf/TPControl%20-%20Commands%20supported%20in%20addition%20to%20AMX%20commands.pdf

Hope this helps, and please keep the suggestions flowing.
  • Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    jjames wrote: »

With TPCloud:
    1) Upload file to server
    2) Instruct client to enable transfer. This requires them getting into the settings - which for some clients requires a phone call to walk them through it.
    3) Instruct client to open TPControl to allow download.
    4) Test. Repeat if necessary for other panels, and updates.

With VPN:
    1) Instruct client to open TPControl on all panels
    2) Transfer to all panels.
    3) Test & change if necessary.

I use VPN too, but I do not like getting pulled away from the dinner table to sit at a computer and start a transfer to a customer's phone or iPad because they just got home. Not to mention those "quick 5 minute tasks" are never billed to the client or added to my paychecks.

I like the idea of a code driven command a button using the loopback port to start the download. That is good thinking.