Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TP Design4 v3.1.643 Installation

I encountered trouble installing the latest version of the software on my machine running Windows Vista Home Basic. Appreciate if anybody can provide the solution. Thanks! :-)

Comments

• Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    I get this message:

Screen_shot_2011-06-08_at_09.40.30.png

Note to admin: Please turn on the img tags.
  • KouyaKouya Posts: 60
    I got the same running Visa Ultimate SP2. Had to restore back to previous version.

My XP laptop updated fine.
    I manually downloaded it and installed it from the installer instead of through webupdate. That worked.

Guess it's worth a try for you as well.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Just curious - after installing does it screw up all your settings like usual? (Keyboard short cuts, your customized toolbars, etc.)
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    I manually downloaded it and installed it from the installer instead of through webupdate. That worked.

Guess it's worth a try for you as well.

I find I have to do this with almost all installs on my Win7Pro machines. I cannot run the installers from the web or installer .exe's from a server drive. I have gotten in the habit of putting the installer .exe on my desktop and running it from there. If I still have trouble, I have to go into the .exe's settings (right-clcik>properties) and making sure it's running in Windows XP Pro compatibility mode.
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I find I have to do this with almost all installs on my Win7Pro machines. I cannot run the installers from the web or installer .exe's from a server drive. I have gotten in the habit of putting the installer .exe on my desktop and running it from there. If I still have trouble, I have to go into the .exe's settings (right-clcik>properties) and making sure it's running in Windows XP Pro compatibility mode.

I'm running 32-bit XP anyway, so I don't have that issue. Did install it from a network drive though.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    I'm running 32-bit XP anyway, so I don't have that issue. Did install it from a network drive though.

Yeah, XP had no problems with this at all in my experience. Win7 kinda settled down quite a bit after a few updates and hot fixes. I don't have much trouble with it nowadays.
  • jjames wrote: »
    Just curious - after installing does it screw up all your settings like usual? (Keyboard short cuts, your customized toolbars, etc.)

Yes it does. A constant source of irritation.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Go figure.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    jjames wrote: »

yep, and I had forgotten what a pain in the arse it is moving those toolbars around to re-organize, you move one a pixel too far and the whole mess starts jumping around.
  • Hi got the same problem on vista cannot install TPD4 v3.1.643 what to do? any solutions?

regards
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I can't quite make out that screen shot, but if it can't overwrite a system file, be very careful. I have had two computers rendered incapable of booting when the version of msvcrt.dll that TPD tried to install didn't match my OS. I was only able to get them working again by copying it from a good computer from the command line. There seems to be an issue with the installer that doesn't apply the right version. I only had the problem with msvcrt.dll, but as you can imagine, it was a huge problem.
  • Hi could somebody help me giving the older version of TPD4? this latest version doesn't work in my vista and I did webupdate and it uninstalled my tpd4 :-(

thanks in advance
    The way I got it to install was to move msvcrt.dll from the Windows/System32 folder to a temporary place, then run the install. Be warned, this renders the PC unbootable, so you *MUST* make sure you have a boot disc (Windows install disc works, command line is one of the fix options ). When you restart, boot from your disc to a command line and put msvcrt.dll back where it belongs, overwriting the bad one TPD4 drops in there.

Since I did this blind, not knowing the problems it would cause, you might be able to avoid the no-boot scenarion by copying msvcrt.dll back before you restart. I would certainly try it, but it might be set to replace at next reboot in any case, so make sure you have the backup and a way to restore it beforehand.

I am stunned that AMX hasn't fixed this yet. I called it in immediately. It likely only affects certain configurations, but it's clearly a matter of the wrong msvcrt.dll version being matched to the OS when TPD is installed.
  • This is just baffling.

I installed this originally on my Windows 7x64 desktop - no problems.

Installed on a Vista x64 - got the msvcrt.dll error. Had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get it installed, including changing permissions on the file so it could copy, then dealing with an unbootable laptop requiring a boot disk to repair it.

Just this second installed on another Windows 7x64 laptop - no problems. This despite spending about an hour preparing a new repair disc and making a copy of the original dll so I could recover from the inevitable problem - only for it not to occur!!

EDIT: Found link for archived version: http://www.amx.com/techcenter/downloadConfirm.asp?fn=/assets/applicationFiles/archive/TPDesign4_3.0.634.zip
  • thanks buddy for the link

regards
  • Thanks from me too for the link. Since TPDesign4 removes the installed version before it encounters this msvcrt.dll error, I was kinda screwed. Not really... but definitely inconvenienced. :) Amazing that AMX hasn't fixed this yet.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Several installs here in Win7, no problem so far...

Note also that the new TPD4 has problems with some fonts, positioning the character out of line.

See the solid forward arrow in AMX ICON, ideal for PLAY buttons. In all versions before, it lined up with all the others. Now this release renders the arrow lower than all other characters. I had to substitute a similar character from AMX ICON 3 with a larger point size to replace it.

I found a few other characters in other fonts that do the same, only in the new TPD4. No pattern I can find. A real pain to step around.

And I'm no fan of copying a popup and pasting it and having no choice of renaming it now... as you always could before... it simply pastes as "Copy of xxxx" but of course up in the C's not where you expected to put it. More scrolling.
  • John Nagy wrote: »
    Several installs here in Win7, no problem so far...
    +1 here. I am using Win7 x64 for a looong time now... Even when i had problems with msvcrt.dll (and some other .dll's as well) i was able to bypass them using a free utility named "Unlocker"
    http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/#download
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Note also that the new TPD4 has problems with some fonts, positioning the character out of line.
    I didn't noticed that.... good to know

Kostas
    I had no problem when I upgraded my home computer to Win7. It only seems to affect Vista installations.