Home AMX User Forum MODPEDIA - The Public Repository of Modules for Everyone

Denon 4310CI Module

Hello - Newbie to AMX here. I have successfully controlled my Home Theater (mainly 1 Way/IR) and so far things are working without a hitch. I have recently decided to upgrade to a Denon 4310 which has RS232 control, this will be my first venture into two way control. I have been searching the forums/AMX for a module but have been having no luck is there any existing 4310 Module (or another that will work with the 4310) out there?

Thanks

Comments

• I would confidently use a module for a different model Denon AV receiver. All of the ones I worked with use the same protocol, only details being changed for additional inputs or features (HDMI inputs, USB media, zone 2,3,4, etc), and chances are that it will work without a problem.

If you want to go a longer mile, the protocol is one of the simplest and friendliest around, and would only require a minute to convert your IR commands to trivial strings such as 'PWON',13 or 'MVUP',13
  • Thanks, Is their a module that you could recommend. This would be my first module so would like to try and get my feet wet.

Thanks
    I would confidently use a module for a different model Denon AV receiver. All of the ones I worked with use the same protocol, only details being changed for additional inputs or features (HDMI inputs, USB media, zone 2,3,4, etc), and chances are that it will work without a problem.

If you want to go a longer mile, the protocol is one of the simplest and friendliest around, and would only require a minute to convert your IR commands to trivial strings such as 'PWON',13 or 'MVUP',13
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I have this module that I used recently on a 4310 that seems to work pretty good. It was originally written a while back for a 2310 but updated for the 4310.

After looking at the code I'm somewhat puzzled and I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote it. It's completely open and I think everything you'll need is there but I got the feeling that I didn't finish everything I wanted to do and at a certain point decided to just make it work "enough" in order to move on to something else more important.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    vining wrote: »
    I have this module that I used recently on a 4310 that seems to work pretty good. It was originally written a while back for a 2310 but updated for the 4310.

After looking at the code I'm somewhat puzzled and I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote it. It's completely open and I think everything you'll need is there but I got the feeling that I didn't finish everything I wanted to do and at a certain point decided to just make it work "enough" in order to move on to something else more important.

I had to laugh when I saw that in your post. I can pretty much apply it to 90% of my older code that I still re-use because it's "good enough." Once in a blue moon, I get the opportunity to go back and streamline old modules, but it's unfortunately rare, and doesn't play well with deadlines, or even the bottom line at times.
  • Thanks Vining - I'm sure it will work for me perfectly. On the other hand this will be my first attempt at using a 'Module' so I'm sure I'll have a couple of questions (if you don't mind), any initial use tips?

Thanks Again
    thepainter wrote: »
    Thanks Vining - I'm sure it will work for me perfectly. On the other hand this will be my first attempt at using a 'Module' so I'm sure I'll have a couple of questions (if you don't mind), any initial use tips?

Thanks Again
    Yeah the select AVR buttons on the giu aren't needed unless you have more that one instance of the module and certain UIs are going to control certain AVRs (or change on the fly). As is the UIControlArry(??) that determines which UI will use what instance is already initialize to use instance 1 (AVR1).

Also the button on the main page to go to the AVR page needs a page flip to the AVR page. I have no idea why that wasn't done in code to some type of intialization but.... and the buttons on the main were just thrown together last night and I didn't add this in by mistake.

DHawthorne wrote:
    .I can pretty much apply it to 90% of my older code that I still re-use because it's "good enough."
    The sad thing is that this wasn't all that long ago and I barely recognize it. My brain must be turning into mush and going in too many directions at the same time.
  • Happy NEW YEAR to everyone. As noted this is my first module and I am unsure where to start. I have tried to check the RS 232 control with a 'Straight Thru' cable from Port 2 but can't seem to get it to work, am I missing something?

DEFINE_DEVICE

dvDENON = 5001:2:0

DEFINE_EVENT

DATA_EVENT[dvDENON]
    {
    ONLINE:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND dvDENON, 'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE'
    }
    }

BUTTON_EVENT [TOUCH_PANEL, 27]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvDENON,'PWON' (* POWER ON*)
    }
    }

As for the Module do I put in the 'VAV_DenonAVR_4310mod' in the Module Folder and the 'include .AXI' in the include folder. Sorry if this may seem basic but I'm trying to move on from my original basic IR. Thanks in Advance.

Paul
    If your trying to use this with an existing system you need to first take all the files and paste then into your working directory, where all the system files for this particular job resides.

Next take every that's in the VAV_DenonAVR_4310main file and paste the parts into your working system file, the one "set as master". Put the device section into your device section, the constant section intor your constant section and so on with all the parts of the VAV_DenonAVR_4310main file.

Whether you want to add these files to your project tree folder is up to you. I do but you don't have to as long as they're in the same directory and you call the #INCLUDE in you main file which you should if you copy everything out of the VAV_DenonAVR_4310main file into your exisitng main (master) file.

Change the DPS of the serial port (dvDEN_AVR_1) to work with your system, same for the virtual (vDEN_AVRcom_1) if that DPS is already being used. The TPs (dvTP_AVR_1 .... 12) port number (21) should stay the same or you'll have to redo every button on the TPD4 pages and since some buttons may be layered that could be a pain even if you try a select, find & replace. So leave it if possible but if you have something else using 21 pick the easier one to change.

That should be it for the code. For the cable use only pins 2,3 & 5 straight through (I beleive). Do your self a favor and buy some easy adpaters, http://www.easyadapters.com/index.php , they're your best friend when trying to connect to devices cuz you can make up cable out of anything (good or bad wire) and you can change pin out in seconds. Swap 2 & 3 will usually fix the problem. If specs say use 7 & 8 and it doesn't work you can easily take out a screw driver and try again with those 2 floating. I leave them in permantly while other just use them for testing and then change to hard connectors.
  • Thanks for your detailed reply. Jumped right on it last night and after a couple of syntax errors I finally got it to compile. I haven't had much luck with my straight through cable but after some research the 2,3 swap seems like it will work so I'm hoping to pick up a couple of parts this evening and hope everything works out. I'll also get a few adapters that you recommended so I can have some on hand for future use. Very much appreciate the time and I'm looking forward to getting this up and running. I am currently running on G3 panels (CV10's) but am waiting for a used 7500 to show up so I can use your template, it should arrive any day now.

Thanks,

Paul

P.s. I have downloaded a Android App for the Denon (Free) that works very well straight from my phone, found it on the marketplace.
  • I have an IP module for this unit

I know this is an old thread but i have an IP module that i wrote for this unit a while back. i didn't make it full featured but most of what you need should be there. If you add the include and define the appropriate devices, it should just work.