Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPD can't import multiple images anymore??

I am working on a new project and I have a few folders of images set aside that I include in every panel ... channel cons, weather images, etc. I generally just control-a on the import page and bring them al in at once, but the latest rev. of TPD4 won't allow it. I am not about to import several hundred images one at a time ... what is up with this? I miss something, some shortcut, or am I going to have to join the ranks of those downgrading to the last release?

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I just imported 1018 images into a project with the current release TPD4. No problem.

I have seen a dialog come up when importing a lot of images at once into some types of projects, most notably R4, saying that it is too many at once for the device. For a while, I was importing in smaller batches, but testing showed that despite the warning, all the selected files did in fact import.

EDIT: Actually, I think the dialog said the "filename" was too long for the device, which might mean it is reviewing the import string of all the names, and judging it to be illegal. Which is irrelevant, they seem to import anyway. This might explain why some select "Devices" throw this warning while others don't.

So I would try it... your mileage may vary.
    Just tried again, no warning importing into an 8400, but this when importing into R4. It is clearly mistaking the list for a single file name. But when you click OK, they all come in just fine anyway.

FYI, Win7/64bit, same result on Win7/32 and Vista/32

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I wonder what's going on then, and if it's related to the msvcrt.dll issue I had when installing this version. If I even select so much as two png files at once, I get a "Attempted an unsupported operation." dialog. One at a time works fine.

I have confirmed that this error can be caused by a version conflict with msvcrt.dll. The problem is that when TPD4 installed, it overwrote the msvcrt.dll already on my computer, and made it unbootable. I had to copy the dll from a coworkers PC to get up and running again. So now I have to hunt down the proper version of msvcrt.dll for Vista 32 and install it.

I've burned a lot of daylight with this particular installer error.
    This is completely FUBAR. I reinstalled TPD just to get their copy of msvcrt.dll. Of course, it crashed on the login screen, and I had to resort to a boot disk and command line to grab the file and restore the one that works to the system32 folder. Then I used the procedure detailed at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/junfeng/archive/2006/01/24/517221.aspx to redirect the dll linkage from TPD to a local folder. It then started complaining that it was missing kernelbase.dll. I found that online, dropped it in the .local folder. Then it complained that there was a missing procedure in ntdll.dll. I put a copy of that in the folder ... and TPD just crashes without any indication of the error. So I'm stuck. Unless someone has a list of all the DLL's linked to so I can copy them into my local folder, I have no idea what to put there to make this beast run.

Any AMX people paying attention here? You going to pay me for the hours I've wasted on this, plus the time it's going to take me to import 300+ images one by one (well, OK, I'm not going there, I'm going to either take this home and do it on my Win7 machine or install an older version)? The deal is, a third party app is NEVER supposed to link to msvcrt.dll. It's OS specific. You're supposed to link to the version specific to the Visual C++ library rev. you are using (msvcrt100.dll for 10.0, etc.). This is a major screwup and needs to be fixed. I called it in to tech support the day after this version of TPD was released. That was weeks ago ... what's the deal? It's trivial to fix in the installer compiler, so why no maintenance release?

The only reason everyone isn't having problems is because,like I mentioned, msvcrt.dll is OS specific. So if it happens that the version TPD drops in your system is compatible with your OS, you are fine. If you work around the installer error like I did, you wind up with a gimped TPD.
    The official word from AMX is they don't support Vista with TPD anymore, period. You have to either install an older version, or update your OS.

There is a workaround for the image import problem though ... if you have another panel file with the images in it already, you can use Resource Manager to copy them to the new file.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    The official word from AMX is they don't support Vista with TPD anymore, period. You have to either install an older version, or update your OS.

There is a workaround for the image import problem though ... if you have another panel file with the images in it already, you can use Resource Manager to copy them to the new file.

Are they supporting Windows 7?
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506

- There is no note to that effect on the AMX website next to the application download
    - There is no information to that effect in AMX PI
    - AMX is still shipping an installer that will kill customers' computers over 5 months since this problem was identified

That is not only poor form, it's negligent. Lift your game AMX.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    As we all know, this isn't an official support channel for AMX although at times AMX employees will pop their head in and look, and help whenever possible. I'd imagine no one from AMX is going to want to help or respond in this thread, so my suggestion is to call or email tech support requesting a change in their policy / website showing what's compatible or what's not.

I know this is no help but . . . c'mon, Vista sucked. And FYI - I'm having good luck with the Win 8 developer preview as far as AMX programs go, including IREdit.
  • FWIW, I have been running Vista since it came out and have had TPD4 in all it's forms on several machines. No hiccups. NLS has had an issue with my anti-virus, but no problems with TPD4 and Vista for me.
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Are they supporting Windows 7?

Yes. The tech I talked too thought it was in the Readme, but while on the phone with him I confirmed it was not. In the end, that was my solution. I just upgraded from Vista to Win7.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    This is completely FUBAR. I reinstalled TPD just to get their copy of msvcrt.dll. Of course, it crashed on the login screen, and I had to resort to a boot disk and command line to grab the file and restore the one that works to the system32 folder. [...]

Any AMX people paying attention here? You going to pay me for the hours I've wasted on this, plus the time it's going to take me to import 300+ images one by one (well, OK, I'm not going there, I'm going to either take this home and do it on my Win7 machine or install an older version)? The deal is, a third party app is NEVER supposed to link to msvcrt.dll. It's OS specific. You're supposed to link to the version specific to the Visual C++ library rev. you are using (msvcrt100.dll for 10.0, etc.). This is a major screwup and needs to be fixed. I called it in to tech support the day after this version of TPD was released. That was weeks ago ... what's the deal? It's trivial to fix in the installer compiler, so why no maintenance release?

The only reason everyone isn't having problems is because,like I mentioned, msvcrt.dll is OS specific. So if it happens that the version TPD drops in your system is compatible with your OS, you are fine. If you work around the installer error like I did, you wind up with a gimped TPD.
    Auser wrote: »
    - There is no note to that effect on the AMX website next to the application download
    - There is no information to that effect in AMX PI
    - AMX is still shipping an installer that will kill customers' computers over 5 months since this problem was identified

That is not only poor form, it's negligent. Lift your game AMX.
    jjames wrote: »
    As we all know, this isn't an official support channel for AMX although at times AMX employees will pop their head in and look, and help whenever possible. I'd imagine no one from AMX is going to want to help or respond in this thread, so my suggestion is to call or email tech support requesting a change in their policy / website showing what's compatible or what's not.

I know this is no help but . . . c'mon, Vista sucked. And FYI - I'm having good luck with the Win 8 developer preview as far as AMX programs go, including IREdit.

OK, now I'm seriously p'ed and there are multiple people at AMX that need an *** kicking.

I sent an email around to all our developers telling them to avoid the latest TPD4 after the feedback on this forum. Of course someone installed it yesterday after forgetting about my earlier email and bricked their computer (Win XP 32bit SP2 or 3). Hard drive had to be pulled out, mounted on another machine and have msvcrt.dll copied over from another machine.

So, this has nothing to do with TPD4 not supporting Vista, it is a dangerous installer which overwrites critical system files on any machine potentially bricking them.

AMX has been made aware as noted above. WHY HAS THIS VERSION NOT BEEN PULLED FROM THE WEBSITE?

I do not have direct access to AMX's own tech support as I am located outside the US, but will be doing some serious head kicking via the local distributor today.

This lack of response to a serious issue is not good enough in any way, shape or form.
    Not to mention having to constantly close out TPD4 because all of sudden, without any rhyme or reason, you cannot edit anymore and the 'Properties' window can no longer switch to the 'States' tab. Super annoying.

I doubt we'll see anything until next year.
    jjames wrote: »
    Not to mention having to constantly close out TPD4 because all of sudden, without any rhyme or reason, you cannot edit anymore and the 'Properties' window can no longer switch to the 'States' tab. Super annoying.

Hmmm. Haven't seen this ever yet, I use TPD4 daily on Win7/64, and until very recently also on Vista/32. Your panel project itself may be internally corrupted (and this can spread to co-opened other projects). I had this happen 2 years back in the older version, got really weird crashes and failure to navigate. No way to fix a file, I had to recreate it pasting in one page at a time. Fun with nearly 200 pages.

I am really unhappy about how some fonts render differently in the new TPD4. Among the worst: AMX Icon (all of them!). They don't stay on the baseline, and spaces render as boxes.... etc. I sent screenshots and projects to AMX to document it.
    This happens across multiple files, new and old. I'll be working on it - then all of a sudden, I can't edit anymore. In fact, it dings at me whenever I try to input text. Save, close out TPD4, reopen fixes it until it happens again. This usually gets me at 8+ times a day. Only been an issue with this version of TPD4.
    This smacks of some other dependency, as your condition is chronic and mine is completely absent....
    Yeah - not sure what the deal is. Win7 / 64, started happening only after this update. I'm debating on downgrading. I don't think I'll lose any functionality really.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Is this still an issue? I have a couple of new WIN7/64 PCs so should I or shouldn't I? Is this just a XP/Vista problem?