Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Ubuntu question

Does anybody use Ubuntu to run AMX applications? Any issues?

Comments

• jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    No, and yes respectively. While we're on the topic, does anybody use their soldering iron to check e-mail? Any issues?

AMX seems to play nicely with VMWare, but not Wine, if that's what you're asking about.
  • Superiority

The person who has superiority complex usually claims that his opinion is always better than others and that he's more important than his peers.

Thanks for the help.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    bwestlake wrote: »
    The person who has superiority complex usually claims that his opinion is always better than others and that he's more important than his peers.

Thanks for the help.

Well in fairness your original question was kind of non sequitur. Netlinx Studio is not a program that can run on Linux. It runs only on windows. But, if you wer running a Linux box with some flavor of PC emulator or Virtual Macine, you should be more specific as that would be handy to know. I do run NS on a Macintosh OS X 10.5 using VMWare's Virtual Machine running Windows XP Pro just fine.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I'll jump in here. I've gotten the Netlinx compiler to run Ubuntu without problem (it is just one .exe file with two dependencies to two compression DLLs.) I forget it if it was under Wine or not . . . but I know it wasn't under VMWare.

Someone in the Linux world, fill me in: If you install Mono, and what's needed from Windows is there and doesn't need what Mono doesn't offer - does a Windows program work? I *really* don't want to format my computer (again) just to find out.

I've thought about creating a Mono based Netlinx IDE so it'd run on Windows, Linux & Mac . . . but just haven't had the desire / motivation to do it. I might even go open sources as far as the IDE goes - not the internal components such as ICSP though.
  • And it’s compatible with Windows too!
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Well in fairness your original question was kind of non sequitur. Netlinx Studio is not a program that can run on Linux. It runs only on windows. But, if you wer running a Linux box with some flavor of PC emulator or Virtual Macine, you should be more specific as that would be handy to know. I do run NS on a Macintosh OS X 10.5 using VMWare's Virtual Machine running Windows XP Pro just fine.

I was just curious. I haven't used Ubuntu. This is a quote from their web site: "With Ubuntu, you can do everything you can do with other operating systems. But faster. And for free!"

And:

"Ubuntu works brilliantly with a range of devices. Simply plug in your MP3 player, camera or printer and you’ll be up and running straight away. No installation CDs. No fuss. And it’s compatible with Windows too! So you can open, edit and share Microsoft Office documents stress-free."

There are lots of smart people around the forum. I was pretty sure one of you had some experience with this.

Thanks for the info.
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    Ubuntu is Linux wrapped in marketing hype. AMX works as well on there as it does on a Mac, ie, not at all unless you're in a VM running Windows. I assumed you knew what Ubuntu was when you asked the question, sorry about that. And no, I don't have a superiority complex, I'm quite happy in my superiority. Hubris is a virtue, after all: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?LazinessImpatienceHubris
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    jweather wrote: »
    Ubuntu is Linux wrapped in marketing hype.
    Quite possibly the best explanation of it ever.

Although Ubuntu is a wicked gateway distro (sort of like a gateway drug, but geekier) and is really easy to set up for communicating with the rest of the world this is due to a nice package management system that makes it easy to grab the software you need for different tasks. However, for this to work that software has to exist. The windows compatibility they promote is mainly office suite based and is due to awesome projects like Open Office. Unfortunately though AMX don't have any of their tools available for anything but Windows. While you can run a Windows emulation layer (Wine) this is not a simple thing to set up and generally results in pretty sub par performance and stability.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Incidentally, I also run Umbuntu on the same Mac on a VM too. Fun!