Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

AMX UI Design Guide

As some of you may have noticed AMX have released a UI Design Guide. It is certifiably 100% full of awesome. Read it. Make your colleagues read it. Then read it again.

They have managed to nail a large majority of the fundamentals of interaction design in an extremely well put together document. Given, the content is somewhat 'similar' to what can be found in the references listed but they've done an extremely good job of consolidating it all into a relatively brief document.

I sincerely hope this is the start of AMX beginning to put a lot more focus on their system front ends because if it is its an wicked way to start.

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    I already saw the InfoComm document some time ago and wasn't impressed.
    I know you are a UI "Phreak" so I will definitly check this one out :)
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    yuri wrote: »
    I already saw the InfoComm document some time ago and wasn't impressed.
    It would be a compliment to call the InfoComm document craptacular. The new AMX one however collates info from some of the best literature in the field of interaction design. While I'm still not sold on the 'Pantasic UI' (I still cringe every time I hear that name), the rest of the content is solid. The only things I'd add would be a couple of additions to the recommended reading / viewing:
    + Donald Norman's 'Emotional Design' (much more focused on product design, but still a great read)
    + Stanford PCD Seminars
    + RWTH Aachen university's DIS 1 + DIS 2 (also on iTunes U)

And Balsamiq Mockups to the recommended software (I've got objects created for the AMX Modero panels if anyone wants them too).

Also, thanks for the compliment (I think).
  • jimmywjimmyw Posts: 112
    I think ill try Mockups, if you wouldnt mind posting the amx stuff you have already have, that would be..... Pantastic!

:)
    Here's a copy of my AMX panel surrounds for the 12" panels. Internal screen res is 800 x 600. Just import it as a project asset and you're good to go.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    The mockup tool looks great.
    Are you using the free of paid version? Any advantages?
    Paid version. It's cheap and has the bonus of letting you save after the first 7 days. I useful feature IMHO.