Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

NXV-300 Closing VNC Port(?)

I'm getting complaints from a client with an NXV-300 that seems to be randomly closing the VNC port. One day VNC works. The next day it doesn't and requires a reboot to reconnect.

Originally, the client was leaving the VNC session open so we thought it was timing out and closing the port. We then instructed them to close the session when not in use, but even now when they re-open the session it will occasionally refuse.

Any similar experiences out there? Solutions?

Comments

• WazzaWazza Posts: 8
    I've had the same problem. We sent it back to AMX...4 months later we get it back saying they found a problem with it and it should be fixed. Installed back onsite and 2 weeks later...same issue.

Our solution was that instead of screwing around with this more (very fussy client), we put a 7" in the rack and told them to VNC into that instead. Has worked a treat since.

From some of the discussions I have had with people there, it seems to be a known problem but effects so little units that is is not high on the priority list of things to fix.

Waz
  • JohnBJohnB Posts: 13
    Thanks, Wazza. That's good input. I haven't called AMX yet, but I still will. Maybe this will help gain a little more attention.

Cheers.
  • John,
    I too would encourage you to contact technical support. There is a hot fix firmware available (v2.1.18) for the NXV-300. Tech Support can speak more directly to your issue, but there have been several modifications from v2.1.9 that is released on AMX.com

The release notes suggest that there have been modifications aimed at reducing device lock-ups. I do not know if this will completly solve your issue, but it sounds like it would improve your situation.

Chris
  • charleswcharlesw Posts: 11
    NXV-300

I had a similar problem. This device has had the issue of requiring 2-3 week reboots since firmware 2.1.8 I have been speaking to AMX who keep telling me to upgrade the firmware, which I have done and am now running 2.1.18 , but the problem remains. I have replaced the device with an old CV7 until they fix it. I don't have huge hope that they will, I would avoid this device.
  • JohnBJohnB Posts: 13
    NXV300 Final Solution

charlesw, I think I'm in agreement. I would rather install a CV7 than use this device again, at least until they resolve this issue. In the end, I've left instructions for the client to open a telnet session to remotely reboot the box when needed. It's lame I know, but the company's not going to invest the time to program a work-around fix.

Cheers!
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    I've given up on ours, I was hoping to use one to replicate the functionality of our nxt-12v panels that control the whole building, but because the tp4 file is huge the nxv300 fails to start.

If the same panel is loaded onto a CV7 it too will fail to start but comes up with a warning that there is no memory and a prompt to remove user pages, alas no similar warning from the nxv300 and no way of accessing the setup pages - even trying to default the device as asked by tech support fails!

So, I have a nicely bricked box sitting on my desk - and little time around everything else I do to try and get some progress.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    pdabrowski wrote: »
    ...the tp4 file is huge

It is most likely your graphics and not your pages that are using up your memory. Images are likely oversize or saved as high-resolution low compression images. Our standard project has way over 200 pages, and over 1,000 images, and it fits in a 7" panel memory with plenty spare space.

You might try exporting the images and reviewing them for byte counts. Even a full page background need not be over 70KB to look good with clean detail. However, some "high qualtity" settings can save a JPG of the same size at nearly a megabyte.

Note that the TPD4 built in scaling of images is neither very clean nor very efficient in size. Saving a 12" project as a 15" project goes from 26 meg to nearly 40 meg, and it runs out of room. And the enlarged bitmap images look "soft" and are very large in byte count. By exporting all the 12" images, resizing them to the 15" size, and resaving with JPG QUALITY turned down to 3 on Photoshops 12 scale, images look better than what TPD4 made, and are only 10% of the size in bytes. I do this to all images that are over 100K, then import them into the 15" conversion, and it looks better and saves at 29Meg. Which leaves plenty of room.
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    John Nagy wrote: »
    It is most likely your graphics and not your pages that are using up your memory. Images are likely oversize or saved as high-resolution low compression images.
    you are very right there John, the panel file was built by someone else and even after I removed the graphics the CV7 still ran out of memory, it turned out that the number of pages and popups was the issue. It's too difficult to go into here but the panel was designed to replicate any room in a large convention centre from the main control room.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still working on the CV7 route but was using it as a comparison to the troubles I found after getting the NXV300.
  • Looking at this device as a solution for many installs, however, this thread is concerning. Now, Im no guru, but if its simply a matter of the device needing to be rebooted every couple of days or so, why not just put it in the code to tell the unit to reboot at 3am (if the system is not is use) or something? To me that seems worth the difference in price between the NXV-300 and the CV7. Any other issues with this device I should know about?
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Note that there is another current thread about bloated panel projects... turns out the UNICODE font is 22 megabytes. By itself. Most fonts are dozens of K... not megs...

Anyway, about the 300's, they are noticeably (but not horribly) slow when using the HTTP view, and can be overloaded by panel commands and lock up or drop some commands. We had to programmatically slow the command rate for them at locations where the decisions had been made and the units were specified.

Their web view is incompatible with Apple and some Android browsers, so you have to use the VNC anyway. They are just not really happy devices, and I hate to add new known friction points in a job when I can avoid it. I would heartily recommend using a 430, 500, or 7" panel and just use the VNC. This gives you a physical panel at the site, perhaps in the rack room, nearly always a plus to have. If you are trying to save your customer money, consider how they will enjoy paying for the fiddly programming tweaks, kludges, and service calls instead of paying for reliable hardware.