Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

send_string 0, in a module

It's been a while since I had to write a module and I'm curious as to how people send text to the Diagnostics window from a module.
send_string 0,"'some data in my module: ', myDataString"
does not yield anything at runtime.
This of course works fine in the main source file.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Many thanks
slip

Comments

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    does not yield anything at runtime.

It should. Post your code. I use a print function that does some pretty printing to the console, but it does a send_string 0 so yours should work.
    Paul
  • slip couganslip cougan Posts: 34
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Thanks
    slip
    Here's the code:

data_event[dPort]
    {
    online:
    {
    send_string 0,"dIpAddress,' device online'" // dIpAddress is already defined and passed from the main program
    }
    offline:
    {
    ipPortStatus = ipPortClosed
    send_string 0,"dIpAddress,' device offline!'"
    }
    onerror:
    {
    // error handling stuff here
    }
    string:
    {
    stack_var char getChar[1]
    stack_var char rxCommand[bufferSize]
    stack_var integer len
    if(length_array(rx) + length_array(data.text) > bufferSize)
    {
    send_string 0,"dIpAddress,' Error! Receive buffer overflow'"
    }
    else
    {
    rx = "rx, data.text" // append data.text to the rx buffer
    if(debug) send_string 0,"'rx: ', rx"
    while(length_array(rx) >0)
    {
    getChar = "get_buffer_char(rx)"
    if(debug)
    {
    len = length_array(rx)
    send_string 0,"'getChar: ', itoa(getChar), ' ', itoa(len)"
    }
    switch(getChar)
    {
    Case 10:
    {
    processFB(rxCommand) // the events are occurring and this function does process the command ok
    }
    }
    rxCommand = "rxCommand, getChar"
    }
    }
    }
    }
  • nicholasjamesnicholasjames Posts: 154
    I'm assuming dIpAddress is a string? Make sure it doesn't start with a NULL ($00) character. NetLinx has trouble with NULL characters.

Does it show up in telnet? A telnet session using "msg on" shows the same messages as diagnostics.

Silly question, but are you sure that IP device is coming online? You're only sending a string when the device is coming online, going offline, or receiving a string. If it never comes online, it can never go back offline, and you certainly won't get any strings.
  • slip couganslip cougan Posts: 34
    Hi Nick,

Yes the device is online as all the feedback from the module (that I currently have working) appears as expected.
    Also it's not just those events;
    In my data_event string: I have
    if(debug) send_string 0,"'rx: ', rx" and various other send_string 0's scattered throughout the module. I wrote the code in the master file first and moved it over to a module later.
    I have also tried doing
    send_string 0,"'this is a string'" and that sends nothing either and as stated in my post
    send_string 0,"'some data in my module: ', myDataString" produces nothing either.

If I add this to my master source file:
    DATA_EVENT[pDevice1]
    {
    online:
    {
    // stuff here
    }
    offline:
    {
    // stuff here
    }
    string:
    {
    send_string 0,"'module rx:', data.text"
    }
    }

then I can see the send_string events in the module being passed back to the main source and appended to 'module rx:'

I am obviously missing something here!
    slip
  • regallionregallion Posts: 95
    I don't have any example code to hand at this time, but I too have experienced this!

Bizarrely, I have noticed it to be someone random. Sometimes I'll see debug output, sometimes I won't.

Just wanted to add this anecdote as it may well not actually be something wrong with the OPs code (unless it's something wrong with both of us lol!)
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I've never had any issues with using send_string 0 in modules and i do it all the time.

I would verify the module is instatiated properly, make sure you re-compile the module after any changes and verify the path to the tko file that the system is pulling in. Nothing worse than modifying a module when the system is pulling in a different version, different path.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    SEND_STRING 0 doesn't send to the Diagnostics window. It sends to the terminal window. You have to open a terminal session to the master to see it. Diagnostics only shows internal events.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    SEND_STRING 0 doesn't send to the Diagnostics window. It sends to the terminal window. You have to open a terminal session to the master to see it. Diagnostics only shows internal events.

Hmmm, that's all i ever use (diagnostic window) and never open the terminal window. Are you thinking the the notification window?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I typically send all messages to the virtual device being used by the module. That way multiple instances don't confuse me. (There's plenty of stuff out there already to confuse me...)