Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

Any alternative for a Squeeae box module other than RocketGUI?

Hi

We have purchased a module from RocketGui but we don't like the way it work.
Any alternative?

I also found this http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?6319-New-Module-Squeezecontrol&highlight=squeezebox

but I don't have an example on how to use it.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Ady

Comments

• DavidRDavidR Posts: 62
    Hmmm... I found the RocketGUI module to be very good. works just about the same way an actual squeezebox touch does.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    In what way do you not like the way it works? It may be a limitation of the Squeezebox you are running against, not a problem with the RocketGUI module.
  • adysadys Posts: 395
    I don't like the popup that is opening for every item I press

And I need some idea on how to add my popus by code for every page change.

The code is not available so I need to do some page tracking I guess?
    You can always override the popup in the panel file ... delete it entirely if you don't need it's functions, or just re-skin it so it's smaller or whatever.
    Yes, but I think the play option should be part of the list and not via popup. the opening popup is annoying.

I can't put the play there cause it cause the selection is handled by code and I don't have the code...
    Understood. My original question was more to see if it was behavior mandated by the Squeezebox itself ... but that is definitely in your UI.

Have you asked the guys over at RocketGUI if they can customize it for you? Might be worth a shot if they don't want too much $$ for it.
    Yes, its only in the ui.

Beside that and the fact that the thumbnails are working very slow and not consistent on the 8400, the module is great so far.

We are already custom it to our look to be part of our project, we need some changes, like playing multiple zones at once, and the play UI change can be great.

I will talk with them soon and update

As always, thanks a lot for your help :)

Ady
    Thumbnails being slow and inconsistent is an across-the-boards problem with dynamic images and all AMX panels. There's a 3-4 page thread on it somewhere around that was started years ago, and it still hasn't been resolved. I personally don't think there is a programmatic solution for it; it has to be addressed in the panel firmware. There are some workarounds, but I haven't found any of them to be bulletproof.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I don't even bother with thumbnails for that reason. Plus if it's slow pulling thumbnails off a local network drive then doing it for internet apps like pandora, rhapsody, mog, etc would be much too slow. I only provide cover art for the currently playing in my module and i doubt clients could care less about the thumbnails.
    vining wrote: »
    I don't even bother with thumbnails for that reason. Plus if it's slow pulling thumbnails off a local network drive then doing it for internet apps like pandora, rhapsody, mog, etc would be much too slow. I only provide cover art for the currently playing in my module and i doubt clients could care less about the thumbnails.

Oh, they do.

If my customer have an Ipad app that work fast with Squeeze box and show him all the thumbs, you get a lot of complaints when its not doing the same on the 8400.

The UI design of the RocketGUI is based on Thumbs, its a bit annoying that its working GAGA on the 8400.
    We are in the Ipad generation, customers wants to work with images and not with text lists.
    BTW, the thumbs working better on the IPAD TPControl, but not perfect.

This days the 8400 looks like an old 386 computer... we need the new X generation, when is it coming to the market?
    Well it helps if you don't introduce them to iPeng or SqueezePad in the first place then they can't compare. I don't think it's possible to get an AMX touch panel to work as fast and be as slick as those apps. I doubt the x series could do it either. The newer TPs don't even resond to a button push very well so i've never made any attemp to get them to swipe. They just don't have the balls needed.

The vortex or touch running SBS cache the images as does the iPad apps (i believe) and i have no idea how the AMX tp handle their cache. Maybe if you increase the cache on 5200's or 9000's models you could get this to work decent once the images are initially loaded but i wouldn't waste my time trying.

I have a new MXT-1000 coming for my work bench so maybe i'll be pleasantly suprised after i play with it and I'll consider swiping and loading thumbnails.
    IMO, the swipe functions on the new AMX panels are critically broken. Forget about the horsepower, they still generate PUSH and RELEASE events if you start/stop them over other buttons. That shouldn't happen ... once motion is detected, the swipe should be the event, not anything else on the panel. It defeats the purpose to have to create a blank zone to swipe in.
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    IMO, the swipe functions on the new AMX panels are critically broken. Forget about the horsepower, they still generate PUSH and RELEASE events if you start/stop them over other buttons. That shouldn't happen ... once motion is detected, the swipe should be the event, not anything else on the panel. It defeats the purpose to have to create a blank zone to swipe in.
    I've never acutally tried swiping myself since I just figured it wouldn't work. Plus in giving these TPs the ability to do something that it apparently doesn't do well they made a simple push unreliable IMHO. Sometimes I have to double tap or tap real hard to get the freakin things to work. Definitely with the 9000s, I can't recall whether the 5200s do this too. I hope they got their act together on the X series. I'm curious to see what can be done with multiple simultaneous touches. Of course I'd be happy with a single reliable touch on an intelligently designed & sexy TP. The 9000s missed the mark big time.
    Update:

We managed to custom it very well, its working great, and we got a great support from the guys at Rocket Gui.

We are very recommending this module, worth the price.

Ady.